X-Pro vanishing hysteria

Interest didn't vanish on my side. I pre-ordered one. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Sure the hype died down. However, we are just waiting for the camera to get into our hands now. Every piece of info about the camera has been analyzed to death...

Gotta love RFF though... people are already predicting the death of a camera before it is even out based on the lack of activity in a hype thread.

There is no way around it... this camera has been pre-ordered in significant numbers. Fuji will have another hit with this camera.

The biggest difference is that many MF fans didn't know what to expect regarding manual focus with the X100. This time, those people know what to expect.

I will be looking forward to the X1 reviews that users here and elsewhere give the camera. I have an M8 (currently selling in the classifieds) and have been very happy with its performance right up to ISO 1600. I see from posts above that not all share this view. Also, you can do IR photography with the M8 (35 Summaron and IR filter for me), although admittedly that is a specialty application.

BTW, Dave, I use legacy glass on a NEX5 and an EP-2 all the time, so manual focusing on an EVF is not an issue for me. I will be very interested to see how the Fuji deals with this, both in terms of signal processing and the manual act of focusing. Depending on what you and others here say, I may well plunk down for one in a year.

First people complain there is too much hype, now they claim there isn't enough. Such is RFF. :)

And yes, the M8 is 6 year old technology, and still costs more..don't forget the expense of those pesky filters. :)

The biggest difference is that many MF fans didn't know what to expect regarding manual focus with the X100. This time, those people know what to expect.

This is an excellent point. Perhaps people are slowly beginning to realize Fuji's X series were never intended to be manual focus cameras. The X100 and (based on the published Users' Manual) XP1 are cameras where you can use autofocus manually. Both focus-and-recompose or zone focusing are practical and efficient.

The question to be answered is whether the XP1 M-mount adapter will be more useful than a paperweight. I am not optimistic since there are two major issues: how will focus be confirmed and will the sensor work well with M/LTM optics with a wide angle-of-view?

I think if you want to use M/LTM lenses on a digital platform then you need a system that is designed for M optics.

This is an excellent point. Perhaps people are slowly beginning to realize Fuji's X series were never intended to be manual focus cameras. The X100 and (based on the published Users' Manual) XP1 are cameras where you can use autofocus manually. Both focus-and-recompose or zone focusing are practical and efficient.

The question to be answered is whether the XP1 M-mount adapter will be more useful than a paperweight. I am not optimistic since there are two major issues: how will focus be confirmed and will the sensor work well with M/LTM optics with a wide angle-of-view?

I think if you want to use M/LTM lenses on a digital platform then you need a system that is designed for M optics.

Amen!

Long live the M8 :rolleyes: :cool:

I agree with the tenor of this observation and corresponds to my own experience with M43. I bought an E-P1 shortly after they came out hoping to use it as a digital RF and bought a couple of VC LTM lenses to go with it. Well it didn't work that well and I found that the dedicated M43 auto-focus lenses gave much better results. So I bought the best lens for the E-P1--the Panasonic 20/1.7--and when I want digital I use that combo.

Now I realize that the Fuji cameras are much better outfitted than my E-P1 with a built in EVF and a larger sensor, etc. etc., but when it comes right down to it they aren't RF cameras. They are not essentially manual focus cameras and they are in all likelihood not designed for RF lenses.

I´m new to this forum. Have been reading some time before, but now suddenly the Fuji appears.

I didn´t see the information yet, so I´m taking advantage of it, hope it´s not redundant: there is a new gallery from Hugo Poon here: http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/fujifilm_xpro1
that aside, also a bunch of uploads on the dedicated Fuji site in both Galleries, Sample Images and Worldwide: http://fujifilm-x.com/x-pro1/en/gallery/sample-images/index.html
Sure, no RAWs so far, but maybe enough to keep the hype alive?

Back