xpro2 (used or new) or xpro3?

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
8:48 PM
there seems to be a fire sale happening at my local pro shop on open box and new xpro2 bodies...

has me thinking...

I already have an X-Pro2 and thoroughly enjoy using it.

If it was a bargain I’d love to get my hands on a new-in-box Graphite X-Pro2 set.

I’m 99% definitely getting the new X-Pro3. The 1% hesitation is that I want to hold one in my hand and play with it before going all in and plunking down the cash.

All the best,
Mike

I'm waiting for some in-depth reviews of the XP3 (I currently own the XP1). If the dynamic range of the XP3 is significantly better than the XP2, I'll be REALLY interested. If not, I'll be SORT OF interested, as I do like the anti-chimp/LCD protection/retro look rear screeen.

I have not gotten a warm fuzzy feeling for the X-Pro3 based on the information available online. However, I absolutely love using the X-Pro2 and I still like using the X-Pro1 despite the quirks. I have three XP2 bodies right now, all of them bought used or as open box specials. If the X-Pro design appeals to someone and they don't want or need the features of the "3", they should be well pleased with the XP2. Personally, I would buy an XP2 again rather than the new model that seems gimmicky to me.

Like the XT3 vs. XT2, I wonder if the XPro3 is made in China vs. Japan. Truthfully, not sure it mattered in the case of XT3 (I have XT2, and do not feel compelled to upgrade- if I do it might be to get an XPro3/2 as a second body).

doesnt the xp3 have better af, vf and sensor than the xp2?

Considering that the XP bodies never were designed for fast action sports-type shooting, how much better AF does one really need? The viewfinder was supposed to be an improvement but the OVF portion of the hybrid has been reduced in utility by no longer having choices of magnification. And sensor-wise, so what. Image quality is outstanding on the XP2 and beyond the needs of the online poster already. Overall, yep there are improvements in the technology of the new camera but there are so many steps backwards in the design ergonomics it now seem less usable to me than the original XP1 which had numerous design quirks.

doesnt the xp3 have better af, vf and sensor than the xp2?

It depends. Better sensor... not really. I actually prefer the 24mp version. Better AF... definitely. Better VF... depends on what your needs are.

I just watched one of the early youtube videos about the xp3. I think it was the one by the "Fuji Guys". They mentioned that the EVF technology has been redone and is much better than any of the earlier Fuji cameras. Sorry, don't have the new specs at hand at the moment.

I also saw that multi-exposure allows up to 9 combined images and the density of each exposure is customizable. Cool. And I'd like to try the tintable B&W... also cool.

Considering that the XP bodies never were designed for fast action sports-type shooting, how much better AF does one really need? The viewfinder was supposed to be an improvement but the OVF portion of the hybrid has been reduced in utility by no longer having choices of magnification. And sensor-wise, so what. Image quality is outstanding on the XP2 and beyond the needs of the online poster already. Overall, yep there are improvements in the technology of the new camera but there are so many steps backwards in the design ergonomics it now seem less usable to me than the original XP1 which had numerous design quirks.

There are a ton of reviews on youtube right now. Most are saying the AF improvements seem to be in low light and tracking while in AF-C mode.

Waiting to hear--

Waiting to hear--

Friend says he is holding off because of no 18mm frame line-- which is enough for him as it is his favorite lens-- he is a very serious shooter-- so this is a FYI?

I have not seen enough information to consider for myself -- and I am not getting out enough to consider --- just one more piece of spaghetti against the wall?

Regards, -- watching to see what youse guys find out.
John

I have an x-t3 and bought a second hand x-pro2 graphite as I've always wanted that model but it's been expensive until now. Compared to the x-t3 it's a very poor camera. Slower af that I really noticed, squishy buttons, it's weighted oddly because it's longer than the xt3 and the grip is poor compared, plus height wise nearly the same. Even the see through viewfinder I wasn't impressed with. If the x-pro3 is like the x-t3 then get that. I was really really disappointed with the x-pro2 and I know people use them and love them.

This is a hard decision. $800 vs. $1800 + ... I`ve used the X-Pro2 for 4 years, so I`m ready for the X-Pro3. The -6EV AF is something I will like. I would say it really depends on which lenses you plan to use. Older, slower lenses will certainly perform better on the X-Pro3. However, the newer, faster AF lenses already do well on the X-Pro2.

This is a hard decision. $800 vs. $1800 + ... I`ve used the X-Pro2 for 4 years, so I`m ready for the X-Pro3. The -6EV AF is something I will like. I would say it really depends on which lenses you plan to use. Older, slower lenses will certainly perform better on the X-Pro3. However, the newer, faster AF lenses already do well on the X-Pro2.

I use the 35mm 1.4 so may be another reason why the autofocus was so slow on the x-pro2

Friend says he is holding off because of no 18mm frame line-- which is enough for him as it is his favorite lens-- he is a very serious shooter-- so this is a FYI?

I have not seen enough information to consider for myself -- and I am not getting out enough to consider --- just one more piece of spaghetti against the wall?

Regards, -- watching to see what youse guys find out.
John

Yeah, this is a huge issue for many people. Having no frame lines for a lens like the 18mm wide angle is pretty lame. That's a common focal length and one that many use the OVF for. A very common street photography focal length which is exactly where the OVF shines. Fuji sure made a strange design decision there.

Yeah, this is a huge issue for many people. Having no frame lines for a lens like the 18mm wide angle is pretty lame. That's a common focal length and one that many use the OVF for. A very common street photography focal length which is exactly where the OVF shines. Fuji sure made a strange design decision there.

They decided that the EVF upgrade was more important. They did their research and more people use the EVF. Also, the 23mm lens in more popular than the 18mm. I know you guys want to act like you know Fuji’s users better than Fuji, but... you don’t.

Back