xpro2 (used or new) or xpro3?

I attended the Photo EXPO that Kenmore Camera in Seattle hosted today. I went right to the Fuji table where I had hands-on with the X Pro 3 in Titanium and Plain-Jane Black. The X Pro 3 is very nice (I preferred the black one) and the joystick did well enabling me to get through menu choices. The finder is very nice but I didn't try an 18mm lens. The LCD screen is also very nicely done. I am an unabashed chimp when I want to be so it is not for me. I would love at some point to go out with a Leica M-D and no possibility of chimping. I have no doubt I would get on just fine as I did with the Film M cameras.

Suffice to say I will happily stay with my X Pro 2.

On another note I really enjoyed the GFX 50R with 50mm f 2.8 lens. With big discounts I was tempted but probably more camera I need.

David

In regular light there is no much difference between the 35 1.4 and the f2 if you are using the single point focus area.

Shawn

I have to agree. When the X-Pro2 just came out there was a larger difference, but firmware updates have helped. I think what happens to people is that the AF of the 1.4 is clunkier... you feel it grab hold of focus, and it makes noise, etc. It gives the feeling of being worse than the F2 (which is one of the fastest Fuji lenses)... But the 1.4 is no longer slow.

Frame lines in the OVF

Frame lines in the OVF

They decided that the EVF upgrade was more important. They did their research and more people use the EVF. Also, the 23mm lens in more popular than the 18mm. I know you guys want to act like you know Fuji’s users better than Fuji, but... you don’t.

Lovely, a popularity contest, they did a survey--
My colleague more likely has many more published works than perhaps all the folks who use the EVF-- I knew him when he was carrying three M6 bodies shooting in the streets-- and he is working on the next book.

Somehow I respect his opinion.

Was the change made to save a few pennies?-- or for some practical reason?-- I also prefer the OVF -- just the way some of us work--

I suppose next they will find a survey that says more folks use the screen on the back to compose, so drop the view finder- then it can be dropped entirely from this "Rangefinder Forum"?

Lovely, a popularity contest, they did a survey--
My colleague more likely has many more published works than perhaps all the folks who use the EVF-- I knew him when he was carrying three M6 bodies shooting in the streets-- and he is working on the next book.

I`m sorry I offended you with this. I`m just saying what I heard and honestly it makes sense. The OVF is still there, but EVFs are becoming more and more popular. I`m happy for your colleague (I truly am...published works...he`s lucky). That doesn`t mean Fuji didn`t do their homework and that EVFs aren`t becoming the preferred method of viewing. And shouldn`t they be listening to what the majority wants anyway? It is a business.

Somehow I respect his opinion.

As you should... but one person (even if supremely talented) doesn`t make a company`s decision on a camera wrong.

Was the change made to save a few pennies?-- or for some practical reason?-- I also prefer the OVF -- just the way some of us work--

The OVF is still there... the changes were made because it is a hybrid VF. Who else makes one? I doubt they are cheap in the first place.

I suppose next they will find a survey that says more folks use the screen on the back to compose, so drop the view finder- then it can be dropped entirely from this "Rangefinder Forum"?

Well, let`s be honest. It isn`t a rangefinder even with the OVF/EVF. And most people do use the screen to compose, since cellphones are the most popular cameras in the world.

I do not understand the change, I am happy they have both OVF and EVF, certainly, longer lenses are not practical with the OVF.

If they want to come up with a technical reason, fine-- it is enough to lose some clients, the change does not affect the EVF crowd. My local good friend is corrupted to loving his EVF -- I do see improvements as models change, and might consider even switching to the mirrorless if there are enough advantages for me.

I also recall a time when I put most of my SLR kit on the shelf for Leica, Fuji RF and Contax as they came to match what I was trying to capture more effectively, or so I thought--

I felt I could shoot most days with a 28mm and a 90mm on two G2s-- and while in Europe, I at least had the Fuji folder in my coat pocket-- my serious ? move to Digital involved the XPro line, and even the Fuji adapter for Leica mount glass, my compromise is to hold on to cameras with OVF and frame lines, I suspect it is the same with my German Colleague.

As to the conversations of which cameras adhere to the title of this forum, Many cameras are discussed on this forum, and many are even simply viewfinder cameras-- my avatar does not have a RF- ;-) However, I am perhaps trying to fit a viewfinder yet to my phone-- ;-)

It took me a while to realize in the dominant film era, that the P&S market held the production of most everything else up-- The remaining Agfa B&W tech long ago, during a discussion of a problem with a roll film issue, related that B&W represented about 1% of their products, though the stores I walked in to had stacks of Agfa papers and chemistry-- Essentially, they held on to it for the fine art guys--

Best Regards, John

xp3 hidden LCD

xp3 hidden LCD

For me the huge issue is the hidden LCD...I can't believe they did this.

I'm sorely disappointed. All the articles I read about the upcoming 3 model were whether it would have an articulating LCD or not...I was very ambivalent and really didn't care...but that is NOT to say I'm not outraged to see it hidden with a stupid film box display on the back of the camera ... a JOKE?

touch screen? not sure - I can live with it but was/am quite happy with the controller buttons...then again, having to open the LCD to an awkward use of the touch screen sounds like the Fuji designers were on acid when they came up with this one.

Of course I can just pass on the 3 model and stick with the 2 that I love, but that means being stuck in a system where the ILC rangefinder form factor is going away from what I want... I have to really consider the other mirrorless rangefinder style systems if I want to buy new models as they come up...Guess we'll just have to see what the xp4 looks like...

tom

Back