Young photogs how are you?

I've been a commercial photographer for fifty years and built my business into a very profitable company. I'm semi retired and have crossed the line from commercial into both art and documentary work and built another very successful business selling especially my art. It doesn't happen over night and just having the desire won't make you a success. You have to have a high degree of talent and be a really good businessman.

I didn't come from money and in fifty years have only known one commercial shooter that did and he was a good business man and very good photographer and built his business on quality as many of us old timers did. Money alone won't make you a success.

Life's different now since 2008 when the economy started to crash and cheap digital cakes became available. Now everyone and his brother are picking the skeleton of the photo industry. What once could provide a great living for a select group of very talented photographers now yields little more than pocket change for the majority. Almost none make in the six figures let alone in the upper five figures as it once did. Clients often only look at price and couldn't care less about quality if they can even recognize it. The market is dominated by a huge group of no to little talent "photographers" with a burning desire.

You nailed it! +1

Hunt around and you'll find that several of my books have been stolen and posted on sites which decline to take them down because... well.... because... they're lazy, thieving, dishonest bar stewards who want me to jump through their hoops to prove that someone illegally put my books on their site. Issuu is a superb example. I hope they go broke as soon as possible.

Cheers,

R.

Hunt around and you'll find that several of my books have been stolen and posted on sites which decline to take them down because... well.... because... they're lazy, thieving, dishonest bar stewards who want me to jump through their hoops to prove that someone illegally put my books on their site. Issuu is a superb example. I hope they go broke as soon as possible.

Cheers,

R.

Sorry to hear about that Roger.

When doing some post school "schooling", I purchased a very expensive text. I think it's just under $100 now, here in the US. It's technical stuff. I was reading that it was copied in China and sells there for $6.

Back