Your Most Essential Hasselblad Lenses?

Your Most Essential Hasselblad Lenses?

• Total voters
Being a wide-angle fan, the 50 was always my go-to lens. However, I'm now shooting mostly 645 with the 'blad, and would love to have the 60. But when I check current prices, my blood runs cold (an occupational hazard of shooting with these cameras, I suppose). Guess I'll just stick with what I've got, and make it work!

I have both the 50 and 60mm Distagons. Although the 60mm is a very fine lens, I use the 50 a lot more. Its horizontal angle of view is equivalent to a 35mm lens on the 35mm format, while the 60 is more like a 40mm lens on, say, the Leica.

I'm not familiar with any of those three. They are not in Richard Nordin's Hasselblad Compendium. Are they for a post-V system body? The new digital platform? I'd love to have a 35mm f/4 for my 500C/M. I would finally have the widest lens I want for the 500 C/M--a 24mm equivalent (horizontally) compared to 135 format. But it must be for a much newer system.

Well, I may get another SWC. I wish I had listed the SWC 38mm Biogon in this survey rather than the stupid 30mm fisheye. Too late.

For the V series? Don’t think so. 30 fisheye and the 40 in its various manifestations were the widest, followed by the 50. 45 must be for the H series.

He’s speaking of the Xpan lenses based on those focal lengths and apertures.

X-system has a 45mm f/4 too: the XCD 45P. And a 30mm: XCD 30mm f/3.5.

It gets confusing unless you're specific regarding which Hasselblad system/series you're referring to.

---
My most recent Hasselblad lens acquisition, the XCD 65mm f/2.8, I'd now consider to be an essential for my 907x camera. :)

G

X-system has a 45mm f/4 too: the XCD 45P. And a 30mm: XCD 30mm f/3.5.

It gets confusing unless you're specific regarding which Hasselblad system/series you're referring to.

---
My most recent Hasselblad lens acquisition, the XCD 65mm f/2.8, I'd now consider to be an essential for my 907x camera. :)

G

True! I was just basing on the poster’s proclivity for film ;)

Being a wide-angle fan, the 50 was always my go-to lens. However, I'm now shooting mostly 645 with the 'blad, and would love to have the 60. But when I check current prices, my blood runs cold (an occupational hazard of shooting with these cameras, I suppose). Guess I'll just stick with what I've got, and make it work!

Guess who wrote this last August? And guess who just went ahead and purchased a 60mm? I do believe the 60 will be the Goldilocks lens for me!

Don’t know that it’s an ‘essential’ lens, but I quite like this 60/4 Distagon.

60mm Distagon by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Made in 1962-63 and according to Richard Nordin, only 1900 made. Not sure why it was made in such limited quantities.

Don’t know that it’s an ‘essential’ lens, but I quite like this 60/4 Distagon.

60mm Distagon by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Made in 1962-63 and according to Richard Nordin, only 1900 made. Not sure why it was made in such limited quantities.

I suspect that it was transitional, in some way, between the f/5.6 and the f/3.5. Manufacturing and design technologies were changing rapidly at that time. Vince, do you use that funky metering knob? And if you do, how accurate is it?

I suspect that it was transitional, in some way, between the f/5.6 and the f/3.5. Manufacturing and design technologies were changing rapidly at that time. Vince, do you use that funky metering knob? And if you do, how accurate is it?

Yes I do use the metering knob and yes it’s surprisingly accurate.

Richard wasn’t even sure why the lens was made in such low quantities - he thought perhaps it was a limited edition of some type. Not a whole lot of info on this lens.

Yes I do use the metering knob and yes it’s surprisingly accurate.

Richard wasn’t even sure why the lens was made in such low quantities - he thought perhaps it was a limited edition of some type. Not a whole lot of info on this lens.

The f/4 Distagon actually looks like the ideal 60mm. The half-stop difference from the f/3.5 is negligible, and it's nearly as compact as the f/5.6, which, for me, is too slow to be useful. I initially thought that it would be my first choice, until I saw the prices. Yikes!
Funny about the knob. One would expect any selenium meter of that vintage to be near death, but the fact that it's useable (and useful!) is a testament to the quality of everything Hasselblad makes. I might consider one for the convenience factor when using the camera for a walkabout.

The f/4 Distagon actually looks like the ideal 60mm. The half-stop difference from the f/3.5 is negligible, and it's nearly as compact as the f/5.6, which, for me, is too slow to be useful. I initially thought that it would be my first choice, until I saw the prices. Yikes!
Funny about the knob. One would expect any selenium meter of that vintage to be near death, but the fact that it's useable (and useful!) is a testament to the quality of everything Hasselblad makes. I might consider one for the convenience factor when using the camera for a walkabout.

It’s a super lens - I don’t have it handy, but as I recall it focuses to about 20”. Right now it’s with my camera repair guru, along with a late ‘70s 500C/M. The lens was one of those ‘as-is’ KEH specials that turned out to be a beautiful lens.

I have used my 80 so little and generally take it with the waist level finder when my prime criterion is weight. That weight factor alone may be influencing the poll, along with those who only have the 80. I have never really needed a range of lenses, and certainly hardly ever at one time. I can spend weeks in 135 format using anything from a 21 to a 50. There are situations where you need the 21. That consideration has taken me wider than the 60 3.5 for Hasselblad, by far my most used lens, to a 50 f4 CT*. So not very wide. I got it for a good price. Haven’t seen the first shots yet. There are views in my garden I could not get right for vantage point and field of view with the 60, and same with trees by the river at the bottom of the hill. Amazing construction the C series 50.

I’ve used the 150 hunting dragons by the river. This mild summer in Melbourne I haven’t seen a single one. The 250 I haven’t used in over a year. I would only be out with a range of lenses if I visited my brother’s farm, or some other long distance day trip. I now have more than enough lenses.

000011.jpg
by Richard, on Flickr

Last edited:
I had one of the metering knobs once upon a time. It worked really well ... hmmm, they're not that expensive. Maybe I'll pick up another.

Favorite or essential lens? Definitely for me the CF Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 T*. I use that lens more than all my other Hasselblad V-system lenses combined, with both the 500CM bodies and with the 907x/CFVII 50c digital back.

And I too regret selling my last SuperWide C/M .. sigh. I sold it to help fund the 907x/CFVII 50c + XCD 22mm in 2019. I get more use out of the latter, but I loved shooting with the SWC.

G

Back