Zeiss Ikon Problems

Zeiss Ikon Problems

• My Ikon has the "popping" frameline issue.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • My Ikon had the "popping" frameline issue, but I sent it back and now it works fine.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • My Ikon had a different issue, but I sent it back and now it works fine. (please specify in thread)

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • My Ikon still/currently has another issue. (please specify in thread)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • My Ikon has worked great since the day I got it, without problem.

Votes: 54 60.7%
  • My Ikon had Rangefinder Alignment Problems

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • My Ikon had shutter problems

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters

K57H639

Local time
10:10 PM
I want to get a Zeiss Ikon, but recently I've read about problems, mainly with respect to this frameline "popping" or "ticking" issue:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31692
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45839

Based on those threads, it seems a lot of people have had that problem... What I want to know is, how many people have not?

I also read that there RF whites out in bright scenes, and becomes next to usesless in low light envoronments.

Quote:
"Rangefinder patch in Zeiss Ikon however has tendency to white out a lot more often than on MP-3. So, all the benefits of brighter and larger viewfinder disappear in tough lighting conditions since you can't focus at all. These include very bright outdoor lighting conditions and dim lighting indoor. I'd say that on average day I'm guaranteed to encounter this several times through the day - trouble focusing with Ikon because I barely see the rangefinder patch or I don't see it at all."

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
no problem with mine.
the focus patch needs your eye centred in the finder which is not difficult to do though some claim to be unable to do so. it takes all kinds i guess...

Had no issues with mine so far. Besides leaving it on by mistake and letting the batteries drain. (When am I gonna learn. haha)

Not a problem, from day one. The Ikon is by far my favorite M-body for big aperture/long lenses. That pesky rangefinder patch! I read somewhere that it is a feature not a bug. You actually have to look straight through it. Can't say I've shot into the sun with a snow background (but I might later this week) - my guess is that even the vaunted M3 finder might have issues under those conditions.

- John

jbf said:
Had no issues with mine so far. Besides leaving it on by mistake and letting the batteries drain. (When am I gonna learn. haha)

How long would that take? Seeing as the meter is only active when you half-depress the shutter (right?), how much power is being eaten up when it's just sitting there in something other than the 'off' position?

Well... i left mine on for probably over a week and a half and didnt even know it. Keep in mind, the battery I was using had been an older battery (used) before.

but in any case... just to let you know when my ZI told me the battery was low... it still kept shooting for at least six or seven more rolls of film before it stopped.

My Ikon had a thin frameline on the 50mm frame set...it would disappear in the certain light. I returned the camera and the replacement worked perfectly...but it did take a minute to get use to viewfinder and centering the eye with the glasses I use.

Love the camera and results I get with it.
Enjoy.

Jason

So far no issue. But as some have already said:

back alley said:
the focus patch needs your eye centred in the finder which is not difficult to do though some claim to be unable to do so. it takes all kinds i guess...

It's easy to focus with the ZI in bright lighting conditions, and easier in low light.
Again, no issue so far; I hope I don't have any for a long time for it's the only body I own at the moment.

I have a rangefinder alignment problem. It can't reach to the position of infinity when the lens already turned to infinity. I will send it back.

optikhit,
Have you tried to focus on the moon? If you don't like the ZI, you will have hard time finding a better rangefinder. Leicas are obsolete.

Hi, mfogiel. I haven't try to foucs the moon because my ZI's rangefinder cannot align the double images even when the lens is turned to infinity. (when I focus a distant object, it can not reach to the alignment position, even when the lens is already at infinity position, not OVER.) A little bit difficult to describe but I assume you understand me:)

Last edited:
After almost a year, I had a shutter stick kind of open. It was still under warranty from the good folks at Popflash so there was no problem sending to them for repair. I got it back in the same week everything working like it should.

I was dinking around with it at the time and I think I might have tried to crank the film advance while the AE had the shutter open... like an idiot. I saw a thread on the Bessa section where some rod in the bottom of the camera comes unhooked. I don't know for certain but I'm thinking my trouble might have been similar. Even so, it must have been a quick fix and the camera seems no worse for the wear.

optikhit said:
I have a rangefinder alignment problem. It can't reach to the position of infinity when the lens already turned to infinity. I will send it back.

The only ZM I have handled in a shop had a misaligned rangefinder, and my new M6TTL that I bought new a few years ago also had to go back for alignment. So it's not uncommon. Add to that the fact that new Leica lenses are sometimes not properly aligned and you can have a very frustrating time. My 35mm Summilux ASPH is currently on the long journey from the Antipodes to Germany to have its insides properly adjusted. Makes you wish for an SLR sometimes!

optikhit
How far is the "distant" object you are observing which is refusing to align with your lens turned to infinity? - I assume you understand me too... ?
The rf of my ZI is so precise, it will not align at infinity even objects which are 300m away, you have to observe something which is several kilometers away, at least. And in any case, I suggest you place a ruler on the floor, and take some shots with a sharp (and properly aligned) lens wide open, focusing at 45° at e.g. 1 meter mark. Then develop the film and see the results. If you have a misaligned rf it will show, otherwise don't bother sending it for repair.

Last edited:
optikhit said:
What did you try to focus on? And how many unsharp pictures at infinity have you got because of this?

Philipp

mfogiel said:
optikhit
How far is the "distant" object you are observing which is refusing to align with your lens turned to infinity? - I assume you understand me too... ?
The rf of my ZI is so precise, it will not align at infinity even objects which are 300m away, you have to observe something which is several kilometers away, at least. And in any case, I suggest you place a ruler on the floor, and take some shots with a sharp (and properly aligned) lens wide open, focusing at 45° at e.g. 1 meter mark. Then develop the film and see the results. If you have a misaligned rf it will show, otherwise don't bother sending it for repair.

Hi, friend, I understand you well. But maybe I make you confused. When I focus to an 80m away object the ZI aligns as the lens turned to infinity. For the object far beyong that distance, it can not longer be aligned.

Those of you who claim that you have an 'alignment problem'; do you really get unsharp pictures? Or is the rangefinder only 'off' at infinity? I.e. what you see through the viewfinder.

My Zeiss Ikon is 'off' at infinity - what I can see through the viewfinder, but it takes 'sharp' pictures at infinity -and elsewhere. - So, then it is no problem. While my M8 - is dead on at infinity, but the Noctilux is takes pictures that is 10 cm 'off' at full aparture.

Olsen said:
Those of you who claim that you have an 'alignment problem'; do you really get unsharp pictures? Or is the rangefinder only 'off' at infinity? I.e. what you see through the viewfinder.

My Zeiss Ikon is 'off' at infinity - what I can see through the viewfinder, but it takes 'sharp' pictures at infinity -and elsewhere. - So, then it is no problem. While my M8 - is dead on at infinity, but the Noctilux is takes pictures that is 10 cm 'off' at full aparture.

How to fix close focus: the screw at the end of the roller arm.
How to fix infinity focus: the roller.

Olsen, instead of complaining about your noctilux for more then a year now, why not take 5 minutes to fix the problem?

Back