Zeiss Ikon Problems

Zeiss Ikon Problems

• My Ikon has the "popping" frameline issue.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • My Ikon had the "popping" frameline issue, but I sent it back and now it works fine.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • My Ikon had a different issue, but I sent it back and now it works fine. (please specify in thread)

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • My Ikon still/currently has another issue. (please specify in thread)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • My Ikon has worked great since the day I got it, without problem.

Votes: 54 60.7%
  • My Ikon had Rangefinder Alignment Problems

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • My Ikon had shutter problems

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
Adjusting the Zeiss Ikon ZM rangefinder

Adjusting the Zeiss Ikon ZM rangefinder

optikhit said:
I have a rangefinder alignment problem. It can't reach to the position of infinity when the lens already turned to infinity. I will send it back.

I have come across this posting elsewhere on the Internet:
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/2/9240.html?1197654241

It shows where and how to adjust the ZM rangefinder. However, I do not have this problem with my ZM and therefore have not tried it.

Also, the 2X eyepiece magnifier for the Nikon F2 will fit the ZM...useful in critical adjustments.

NB23 said:
The Zeiss is an excellent camera. I wish we could see more shots taken with the Zeiss.

lol. NB I love you. you never fail to keep me happy with your posts. :D

Regarding the eyelets: Have you mailed Zeiss about this? That picture illustrates your point very well, I'm sure they'd like to know about this....

I just sent an email to zeiss about my problem. I also mentioned that another person had had the same issue.

Hopefuly they reply soon. I dont want to leave for studying eight weeks in France and then have my camear's strap lug snap on me. Nor do I want to not have a camera while I'm in France, as that was the whole point of taking classes in France to begin with.

I thought it was pretty absurd that they already have such problems. Mine isnt as far gone as peter's but it definately has a chunk worn out on it from the side.

I guess my problem is that I carry the camera everywhere I go anytime I go outside of the house.

4 months and wear on the eyelets? Does not make sense at all. -_-;

sitemistic said:
That must be some seriously soft material in those strap eyelets. I have old Nikon's that I carried around with huge heavy lenses for years that have only a little wear!
same for me - my FM2 is more approx. 20 years old - absolutely no wear of the eyelets.

And indeed - my ZI shows wear on its eyelets - not as much as in the picture posted above, but I can see it. Damn, that bothers me.

jbf said:
I just sent an email to zeiss about my problem. I also mentioned that another person had had the same issue.

Hopefuly they reply soon.
It would be great if you could keep us informed about their reply.

Same here for the strap eyelets: not even one year (and actually a maximum of 12 rolls through it) and I have a consistent wear on the eyelets!!! I would like to see what they reply to jbf, I'll may as well send an email, just in case.
Or maybe sell both Ikon and M6 and buy an MP... (just kidding).

I am shocked

I am shocked

Hi,

just saw this. There are now between 60 and 70 votes in this poll. Only 35 of which indicate their camera was ok right out of the box. Ok the Zeiss Ikon is cheaper than a Leica MP, but it is still quite dear. One would expect better, don't you think?

Thanks
Joachim

No email yet... still waiting. Hopefully by this week I'll get some kind of reply.

I talked to Tony Rose and he said that unless it was more than 'normal wear' on the camera then nothing could be done.

Well the wear on my eyelets are not that extreme right now... but i can only imagine that it'd get worse... esp since i've only had the camear since November.

Hopefully zeiss will message me back.

joachim said:
Hi,

just saw this. There are now between 60 and 70 votes in this poll. Only 35 of which indicate their camera was ok right out of the box. Ok the Zeiss Ikon is cheaper than a Leica MP, but it is still quite dear. One would expect better, don't you think?

Thanks
Joachim

I think these problem polls are a little misleading at times as they tend to attract a higher percentage of the people who have had problems ... than the satisfied users.

The M8 would have to be THE most victimised camera in this department and someone logging onto RFF for the first time and reading the hyperbole about this slightly flawed masterpiece would probably go away thinking it was a total heap of cr*p! :p

namelast said:
Same here for the strap eyelets: not even one year (and actually a maximum of 12 rolls through it) and I have a consistent wear on the eyelets!!! I would like to see what they reply to jbf, I'll may as well send an email, just in case.
Every single one of y'all that has this premature wearing of the eyelets needs to send pictures and other details to Zeiss. I inquired with Zeiss about this issue because I've been thinking of getting a ZI myself, and they responded that they've only had one report of problems with eyelets since 2005.

In reality, no matter where you go in the world, it's not too hard to get another camera if yours goes kaput.

As you pointed out, you can win prizes with a point and shoot.

It's sort of a romantic ideal to feel you have a camera that is bullet-proof, that will never need batteries in the wilds of Timbuktoo, that will last forever hundreds of miles in the deepest, darkest jungle, but this is really a pipe fantasy.

How many times have you found yourself on such an expedition?

You could always keep a couple of Nikon Coolpix cameras in your back pocket with a big SD card and a couple of batteries, if your Leica MP goes belly up while you are dodging lava from a live volcano 2000 miles from nowhere.

They just responded to my email. Gave me the option of replacing or having the lugs fixed. However, after looking at my lugs more I dont think that they are quite bad enough to take the time to wait for it to be fixed or replaced, especially since I will be leaving in three weeks for France.

However when I get back, if the lugs have worn more, I will definately be sending it to be fixed/replaced.

Anyone who may be having issues with their lugs, please send a message to zeiss.

You can contact them at [email protected]

You will be doing a favor to both yourself, the rest of the community and zeiss.

The funny thing is that I am no expeditioner or trekker by any means. I just cary my camera with me every day and run a roll or two through it at least once a week if not sometimes more.

So, for me I wouldnt have thought the camera's lugs would have started to wear so soon.

Back