Here it goes again: which camera(s) and which lens(es) ...

Nowadays many churches in Europe no longer allow interior photography, maybe they are fed up with flashing phones but it applies to cameras too.

Take something small.

Nowadays many churches in Europe no longer allow interior photography, maybe they are fed up with flashing phones but it applies to cameras too.

Take something small.
That's a good point. @raid do you still have a small m43 camera and very wide angle lens for church interiors? I think you had the E-PL1?

Oh dear, here we go again. Another travel can of worms you have opened, Raid. but we love them, don't we?

Me, I would take one camera (the you enjoy most) and two lenses, '28 and '85. UVs, lens hoods. Maybe a portable tripod. It's enough. After a lifetime of lugging all sorts of gear with me, I now try to travel to see things with my own (de-cataracted) eyes, not through a viewfinder.

The '50 is too "standard" for my liking. Not wide enough nor long enough. My term for it is blah (yuk also comes to mind). Me and Ko.Fe are on the same page on this.

But then way back when in 1993 I went to Southeast Asia for three months with... never mind. You know.

Last edited:
Based on several posts above, I decided not to consider the large and heavy CV 50/1.
In order to keep the camera bag light I will use only one camera, the M10. If I added a small M 4/3 I still need to take along batteries and charger.
This will add weight to the camera bag.
One [German] 50mm lens [Summicron] and a [Chinese] 35mm/2 and a [Japanese] 25mm/4.
This is a light set of lenses. Keep it "international".

Capa would of course bring the Sonnar....
Well, I am Raid :)

My current "status" for my camera bag:
For sentimental value: Rigid Summicron 50/2 M
For wideangle use: Rokkor 28mm/2.8 M
For fun and extra wideangle shots without distortion: Zeiss Hologon 16mm/8 M

I need to also have fun taking photos. This can result in an impractical choice of lenses.
The Zeiss Sonnar 5cm 1.5 needs a break and stay home this time.

I went to Málaga last month and brought a practica L2 with a pentagon 50mm f1.8 and a 29mm f2.8, normal and wide, covered most situations and not too heavy

I did a lot of street photography in Spain with no issues, but since you said your intention is to take photos of people, please be aware that privacy law in Spain is very different from US or even other EU countries. The good summary is here: Street Photography Laws in Spain
Thank you for this link. I don't plan to take real portraits of strangers in the street as the main subject of some images. If I take a photo of a church from outside and there are 50 people standing, this is not really a portrait. Different countries have different laws.

Well, I am Raid :)

My current "status" for my camera bag:
For sentimental value: Rigid Summicron 50/2 M
For wideangle use: Rokkor 28mm/2.8 M
For fun and extra wideangle shots without distortion: Zeiss Hologon 16mm/8 M

I need to also have fun taking photos. This can result in an impractical choice of lenses.
The Zeiss Sonnar 5cm 1.5 needs a break and stay home this time.
The Summicron and the Hologon are perfect choices!
I would leave the Rokkor at home for the sake of simplicity. BTW is your Rokkor free of the white spots? I once had the chance to get one but finally ended up with an Elmarit because of the Rokkor’s dreaded „Schneideritis“.

So long as you have a lens of your home focal length, you'll probably be able to take home pictures with whatever other lenses you bring, no matter what they are. The Summicron, Rocker and Hologon seem like a good setup. I imagine you're going to be thinking about what to bring up till the the moment you walk out the door and that list will have changed several times. But whatever you bring, I almost guarantee you'll be happy with it.

The white dots never caused any issues for me when I use the Rokkor. It is a fine lens.

" BTW is your Rokkor free of the white spots? I once had the chance to get one but finally ended up with an Elmarit because of the Rokkor’s dreaded „Schneideritis“.

Raid, where are you going to in Spain?

My choice (1 camera + 2 lenses):
If I use SLR -> OM-1n + 24mm 2.8 + 50mm 1.4
or
If I use RF -> M5 + VM Ultrons (21mm 1.8 + 35mm 1.7)
yellow/orange filters
FP4 / HP5
Barcelona. I look like a Huspanic person but I don't speak Spanish. It is my loss.

From your list:
If you're taking a two-lens kit, then I'd take the CV 50/2 APO + the 35 f/2 8-Element Summicron copy.
If it's a one-lens kit, then I'd take the CV 50mm Nokton f/1.

We all have such different approaches. I've been to Europe with a Rolleiflex. I've been to Europe with a 40mm (last year). I know we could come back with a handful of good photos (what i aim for) with any lens. For me the wide angle is always home. I know with a 50mm i'd always be backing up.....trying to add some context.

Back