Here it goes again: which camera(s) and which lens(es) ...

I like your “which lens” threads Raid. Knowing your photographic style I am sure you can do well with any lens you have with you.
I would go the simple way with one lens, possibly a wide lens like a 28 or 25. The one you like more than the others.
Have a good trip with your beautiful family!

Robert gets DNG files but he converts most images to B&W. This gave me the idea to use again the Hologon with its old optical design for film cameras and not for having a digital sensor. The edges smear up but the effect looks good when in B&W.

Last time I was in Barcelona, pre-covid, I took a 50mm Nikkor LTM and a 35mm LTM lens on my IIIa. While the 50 was fine for people, I wished I had a wider lens for architecture. 35mm just didn't cut it.

Last time I was in Barcelona, pre-covid, I took a 50mm Nikkor LTM and a 35mm LTM lens on my IIIa. While the 50 was fine for people, I wished I had a wider lens for architecture. 35mm just didn't cut it.
This is why I am taking the 16mm/8 with me, It has zero distortion even at the edges.

When i want Wide, I have the latest Color-Skopar 21/3.5, which is a superb performer on Digital and very low distortion or falloff. And when I want Ridiculously Wide, I have the HyperWide 10/5.6, which is just astonishing quality in every way. I've carried one or the other on travel occasionally... They're both worth it if i get into a Wide notion.

G

I look forward to hearing your impressions using it. :)

G
I bought the lens many years ago, and I posted once about it here. It is a wonderful lens. I compared it with the Summicron-C 40/2.
I Googled myself and the lens:

Last edited:
I watched a couple of youtube videos on 35mm lenses for Leica cameras, and I focused so to speak on the pre-ASPH v2 Summilux 35mm/1.4 which is one of my lenses (from 1969). I will need a fast wide angle lens for at least one Flamenco performance indoors over dinner. I also started today packing, and using only two lenses and not three will allow me to use far less space in my small camera bag. Having a good 35mm lens means there is no real need for a 50mm lens then. I will keep the 16/8 for daytime images of buildings and streets and just stuff around us.
Thanks for all the feedback here!
I enjoy using the Summilux and I enjoy using the Hologon as it is so well corrected. I understand there exist modern even wider lenses with great corrections for the edges, but I don't have them. I have my Zeiss lens.

@raid Glad to know you've sorted it out once again. When I get ready to go somewhere special/important, I often write pages and pages of ruminations about gear combinations, then after the event, I write about how that choice went, what I liked, and what could have been better. I do this for work all the time, and it has resulted in a streamlined workflow of gear choice. But it doesn't stop me from ruminating!

Nice working picking out the gear for your upcoming trip Raid. For those who struggle & travel with more, I thought i'd drop a photo of my friend pro photographer Jim Herrington's usual kit. He's shot many LP/CD album covers and magazine covers, as well as 85% of his award winning "The Climbers" book with it. He'll be doing a photo workshop in Trento Italy in January....& that's his rig. Simplicity rules!411789326_18405154012030602_8631881666266798947_n.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I never understand these kinds of questions, I always know what to bring. And if it is just Leica and for a lot of travel, it usually is, then the formula for me is unchanged after nearly 18 years. M body, 28mm 2.8 Asph, 35mm 1.4 Asph and 50mm F2 Summicron V5.

Simple. Light. Done.

You have M10.
With this you don't need fast lenses as much as with M8/9. Only if you more into bokeh.

I set the Lux almost always to 1.4. The Hologon is a fixed aperture f8 and effectively is f 16 with the ND filter.

I think these gear questions can be useful. It depends.

I read up online about street photography in Marrakesh before setting off 5 years ago. I learned that local Moroccans were extremely hostile to being photographed. With this knowledge I brought along a Hasselblad SWC so I could zone and be stealth. The bit of info was accurate. Street photography with people in it was challenging. Today if someone asked what gear for Marrakesh I would say a 21/24/28 either one and a 50mm plus a 90mm.

Back