A camera that was used in the Manhattan Project (Atomic Bomb Drop on Nagasaki)

Hi Chris [and NOT Walker!]. I nearly did the same mistake a while ago, but then I figured it out.

Yes, if they believe that there is enough meat in the topic, they may go ahead anyways.

what you've found here, if you can.

I know the PR machine for these events was huge, probably bigger than if they even worked or not, with the potsdam events, stalin meetings, domestic pressures, etc. on Truman, who didn't even know about the "Project" untail Roosevelt's death.

I know that Ashford (and Lawrence Johnston) had a lot of clout, and that Ashford was a designer of the triggers for both bombs, and even brought on his assistant to ensure enemy radio signals would not interfere with the triggers. I wouldn't be surprised if he bought 15 of every kind of new photographic gadget for potential PR. Ashford also was responsible for the bomb on boxcar, where it would be deployed, whether they would return with it, go to sea with it, or as what happened, be ready to break the rules and drop it by radar instead of visual if necessary (almost).

So what have you found?

Which may account for Ms Winnek's reluctance be further involved.

Even today there is great competition between scientists for funding for research. They have ideas they believe in and aren't independently wealthy. They seldom have sponsors who stick with them. Therefore they have to seek government help. That occurs in universities and private companies.

That was true during and after the war. There was a lot of money, but also a lot of ideas. There may have been some unfriendly competition between her father others that left him and her bitter.

Good luck with this Raid. Finding history about things like this if rewarding for the most part in the long run. But there can be bumps along the road. You have to be careful and clever with dealings with some people.

I never thought about the competition for government monies, but this is a very good point indeed. We see it a lot these days, and it may existed also then.

Winnek's daughter sounded bitter about her father's true contributions.

So are you saying that the "facts" have been altererd in the past, and no existing documents could ever change this situation?

Did his contracts dictate to him that his role stayed in the background?

I have a feeling that his cameras were checked out once in a while from some lab, and they were used in some military missions somewhere and somehow. His diary and notes may have recorded whenever a camera was checked out. How else would his daughter read about my camera being used on certain days and misisions but not on others?

I wonder how his relatives would feel if Winnek was actively/indirectly involved in the Manhattan Project. Obviously, he was a prominent scientist and inventor with patents to prove his work.

I have a feeling that his cameras were checked out once in a while from some lab, and they were used in some military missions somewhere and somehow. His diary and notes may have recorded whenever a camera was checked out. How else would his daughter read about my camera being used on certain days and misisions but not on others?

I wonder how his relatives would feel if Winnek was actively/indirectly involved in the Manhattan Project. Obviously, he was a prominent scientist and inventor with patents to prove his work.

Two very good points Raid. I can agree from my time in the US Army that there are some people who think outside the box and will try to find uses that aren't first intended. They will use existing items in new ways, just to see if it will work.

There may be some of his daughter's relatives who have given her grief over thoughts of his possible involvement in the "bomb." Or jealous fellow/competing scientists.

Fred,

How would I bring grief to her? I just want to know the history of the camera, even without her diaries.

How would I bring grief to her? I just want to know the history of the camera, even without her diaries.

I wouldn't take Fred too literally! People are funny sometimes about family matters. It might not be about how YOU might bring grief... but more that she answered your questions and wants to be done with the matter. For whatever reason. I was very involved in genealogy at one time and was asking aroung the family elders for information, stories, etc. In one line of cousins I had one person, and probably only him, that could answer a few questions. His response to my enquiry: "they are all dead, what more do you need to know?" Maybe he has deeper reasons than he spoke but, most of all, he simply was not sharing my interest and didn't want to participate. It might not be y-o-u, it might be h-e-r.

p.s. Have you thought about asking the government through a FOIA request?

Gumby,

The strange thing is that I did not ask her any questions; she volunteered the information about the role of the camera in the war.

I have emailed DOD ("what is Project 1071?")

I think an inquiry to the Naval Historical Center might turn up something. Try to find out where the records from the Philadelphia labs are, or if they still exist.

http://www.history.navy.mil/

The project number could have been assigned by the machine shop that fabricated the cameras. In that case you'd probably need references directly from APEL's daily operations.

The Navy probably won't do the research for you, but they should be able to tell you what resources are available.

you might just get knocks on the door for that one -- there may be a current "project 1071" and that might open up the eyes of suspicious types ---- careful asking around dod

I started my inquiry with the WWII camera, so the project number relates to that camera and from that time.

I've been following this thread with interest and an Idea just crossed my mind, sorry if this idea turns to be silly. Apparently, the lens was manufactured by Kodak, I am sure their archive still have some information on the lens which might lead to something about the camera itself. Could be worth a try to start an inquiry there.

Cheers,
Carlo

I've been following this thread with interest and an Idea just crossed my mind, sorry if this idea turns to be silly. Apparently, the lens was manufactured by Kodak, I am sure their archive still have some information on the lens which might lead to something about the camera itself. Could be worth a try to start an inquiry there.

Cheers,
Carlo

Hi Carlo,

The lenses are not numbered in any way. They may have been special ordered for the project. I once contacted the Rochester Eastman museum, but they had no records on the lenses [without the serial numbers].

There is a possibility that this camera was used for more than one project, and the usage is the area of uncertainty.

I think an inquiry to the Naval Historical Center might turn up something. Try to find out where the records from the Philadelphia labs are, or if they still exist.

http://www.history.navy.mil/

The project number could have been assigned by the machine shop that fabricated the cameras. In that case you'd probably need references directly from APEL's daily operations.

The Navy probably won't do the research for you, but they should be able to tell you what resources are available.

I know a Professor in my university who specializes in US military history. Maybe he can give me hints on what to do next.

I think you may have seen one too many movies. :rolleyes:

Well, I think you are trying to cover up something. I googled it and found this reference on the first page!

A camera that was used in the Manhattan Project (Atmic Bomb Drop ...you might just get knocks on the door for that one -- there may be a current "project 1071" and that might open up the eyes of suspicious types ---- careful ...
www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=886030 - 16 hours ago -

:D :D :D :D :D

The associate producer of PBS contacted me this morning, and she l
left me a message that they could work around Winnek's family to do the investigation. They have not contected her so far.

perhaps winnek's daughter is hiding something or knows more than she is revealing.

maybe there's a lot more to this story still to be discovered.

- chris

Back