Fuji 690?

Debusti Paolo

Well-known
Local time
8:08 AM
As I'm a proud owner of a bronica rf645 set and a hassy 903swc camera I'm asking to fuji 690 experts " do you think I need a fuji 6x9?":rolleyes:"Why?" which model/ lens should I buy ?
Please consider that I cannot buy a new one...:p maybe a gently used one...:D

I have a GSW690III, the wide FOV is nice for landscapes. Excellent lens, the camera is not much larger than a DSLR, and the 6x9 slides are just stunning :)

4222865276_c540777803_b.jpg

if you have an enlarger or scanner that can handle 6x9 (and i don't mean a flatbed scanner), the answer is yes. if you don't, the answer is no.

@ C R wow but it's a fixed lens camera?there should be a model with 2/3 lenses....
@aizan I do not have scanners...and i find always more difficult to develop 120/220 rolls on north Italy...all went to digital

I just bought one here on RFF, still to arive, expecting awesomely stunning slides out of it, just like with any MF camera. I bought one with 3,000 actuations, is that too many? I usually see them with a couple of hundreds just. Not too worried about that, just wondering.

I just bought one here on RFF, still to arive, expecting awesomely stunning slides out of it, just like with any MF camera. I bought one with 3,000 actuations, is that too many? I usually see them with a couple of hundreds just. Not too worried about that, just wondering.

The counter can be set to any value after removing the base plate - expect it to have undergone a magic decrease if the camera has ever been handled by a 2nd hand dealer or other dishonest seller. But it does not matter. Fuji originally recommended having the camera serviced after 5000 exposures (counter value 500), but by experience these cameras remain accurate for much longer, and other factors (climate, use type, aging) have more impact on their condition than the sheer exposure number.

Sevo

I recently bought a G690BL - the older model with interchangeable lenses - from our local auction site. It bought it with the 100mm f3.5 lens.

I'm pretty impressed with the camera so far. The shutter on this model is somewhat quieter than on the newer models, since there is not shutter actuation counter (which is apparently what causes the noise, not the shutter itself). Nice big viewfinder, and just handles nicely.

I scan on a V700, which does a pretty good job.

Here's a handheld, guesstimated exposure shot (fomapan 100 in PC-TEA):

(click image for larger version)

And a 100% crop:

well I've seen on ebay that there's some of these camera running for 300/400 usd what do you think?can you suggest me a specific model? equivalent of 35mm lens?does it has a built in meter?

Which model?how much did you paid for it?

@ C R wow but it's a fixed lens camera?there should be a model with 2/3 lenses....

Yes, the G690 and variations (GL/BL). But it is not really more attractive than the GW/GSW - the mount and a auxiliary shutter curtain add an extra pound of weight, and there are not that many lens options. There were only about seven or eight different lenses in five or six focal lengths made for them, and the 50 and 180mm are almost non-existent on the used market (with maybe one auctioned every three years world wide). The mythical 250mm is even more rare and appears never to have been seen by anybody in person. Even the 65mm and 150mm adjacent to the 100mm normal are scarce. The body only has framelines for 100 and 150mm, the other lenses need an auxiliary finder (and a lens/finder pair will be even more expensive).

If you want a 6x9 for its lens interchangeability, get a Mamiya Super 23 or Universal - there are far more lenses available for them at reasonable price.

Paolo, the interchangeable lens verison is VERY rare.

Overall they seem to account for about a quarter of all Fuji 6x9 rangefinders. I.e. while they are more rare than all GW/GSW models together, they are less exotic than it may seem. From our perspective they seem more rare, as they were mostly sold in Japan - active global marketing did not start until the GL690/GM670 and did not really take off until the GW/GSW.

I am enjoying shooting G690BL with 100mm, 65mm and 180mm lenses.
Pictures coming out from this beauty are more like paintings.
Wonderful colors and sharp sharp sharp.

@ Sevo: which model do you suggest me?please consided a low € budget!!:D

As you seem to be interested more in the wide side of them, fixed lens, GW690II (38mm equivalent) or GSW690II (28mm equivalent) - these (along with the I's, whose surface finish often is crumbling) tend to be the most affordable of the bunch. A interchangeable lens Fuji with anything other than the 100mm (42mm equivalent) would be almost impossible to locate, and the separate lenses are not cheap either - there currently is a 65mm f/8 (the less desirable among the G wides) with finder listed on ebay for $649, but that price would also buy you a GSW or GSWII, which have the considerably superior 65mm f/5.6.

As you seem to be interested more in the wide side of them, fixed lens, GW690II (38mm equivalent) or GSW690II (28mm equivalent) - these (along with the I's, whose surface finish often is crumbling) tend to be the most affordable of the bunch. A interchangeable lens Fuji with anything other than the 100mm (42mm equivalent) would be almost impossible to locate, and the separate lenses are not cheap either - there currently is a 65mm f/8 (the less desirable among the G wides) with finder listed on ebay for $649, but that price would also buy you a GSW or GSWII, which have the considerably superior 65mm f/5.6.

I think that 5,6 is quite slow....:p

for istance now ther's a fuji GW690 II with 90/3,5 lens listed in ebay usa for 200usd and 10 hours left.It has seen a lot of use (i think) and I won't buy it but a similar one will be a good choice?

Back