Fuji 690?

for istance now ther's a fuji GW690 II with 90/3,5 lens listed in ebay usa for 200usd and 10 hours left.It has seen a lot of use (i think) and I won't buy it but a similar one will be a good choice?

Sold at $427/300€ - a good price, even including the import taxes into Europe. That seller always has a couple of Fujis on sale, and seems to be accurate in his descriptions.

Sevo

Ah yes.... But!!!

Ah yes.... But!!!

@ C R wow but it's a fixed lens camera?there should be a model with 2/3 lenses....
@aizan I do not have scanners...and i find always more difficult to develop 120/220 rolls on north Italy...all went to digital

That's why my preference is the early G690, G690bl, etc. These models were interchangable lens, with 65, 100 and 180 available. I think there was also a 135mm, but never saw one.

The early models are a bit heavier, but can still be serviced. Included is the fact that they were built rugged and many have survived. Leaf lens in shutter, so sync at all speeds.

All the Fuji's are simple, no batteries, superb lens and reliable.

I just bought one here on RFF, still to arive, expecting awesomely stunning slides out of it, just like with any MF camera. I bought one with 3,000 actuations, is that too many? I usually see them with a couple of hundreds just. Not too worried about that, just wondering.

You always add a zero to the counter number on the bottom, so the ones you have seen with "hundred" numbers are actually thousands. They use a roll count, not an actuation count. (Yes I know they only get 8 frames, but that's what Fuji does).

The recommended service interval is 5000 clicks for service. However, I have had service done by both Frank at CameraWiz and Fuji. They both tell me that as long as the shutter is clean, operates smoothly and times are accurate, don't worry about service. Frank has seen them with 15,000 or more clicks.

Uncommon yes, but Two 65 interchangables on eBay

Uncommon yes, but Two 65 interchangables on eBay

As you seem to be interested more in the wide side of them, fixed lens, GW690II (38mm equivalent) or GSW690II (28mm equivalent) - these (along with the I's, whose surface finish often is crumbling) tend to be the most affordable of the bunch. A interchangeable lens Fuji with anything other than the 100mm (42mm equivalent) would be almost impossible to locate, and the separate lenses are not cheap either - there currently is a 65mm f/8 (the less desirable among the G wides) with finder listed on ebay for $649, but that price would also buy you a GSW or GSWII, which have the considerably superior 65mm f/5.6.

At this time, there are two of the early interchangable G690 models on US eBay with the 65mm lens.

However, the price of the interchangable 65mm lens is usually such that it's easier to find a II or III GSW model with the 65mm lens, and one with the 90mm lens and buy two. Two of the II or III models (90 and 65) will occasionally be available for the price of one G690 body and the 65 and 100 mm lenses. In fact, the two later bodies with fixed lenses will weigh out about the same as one interchangable G90 body plus the 65 and 100 lens combo. The early interchangables are rather heavy... best on a tripod. The GW/GSW in first model and the II and III models are built rugged but lighter than the G690/G690bl interchangable models.

At this time, there are two of the early interchangable G690 models on US eBay with the 65mm lens.

However, the price of the interchangable 65mm lens is usually such that it's easier to find a II or III GSW model with the 65mm lens, and one with the 90mm lens and buy two.

Right! While I have a GM, I use it with the 100 and 150mm only - the 65mm lenses are no cheaper than a GSW/GSWII, which has the advantage of a finder integrated rangefinder.

As far as available cameras go, the ones on ebay are both G690 BL with 65/8 (and what looks like a Mamiya finder rather than the Fuji one) from the same seller (pix for one only, going by the identical lens serial on both), at $1200 BIN each - which would comfortably get you a GW/GSW pair. Besides, the seller ships to the US only, so that Paolo would have to handle the purchase (and settle all issues) through some state side intermediary.

Sevo

I have a GSW690III, the wide FOV is nice for landscapes. Excellent lens, the camera is not much larger than a DSLR, and the 6x9 slides are just stunning :)

4222865276_c540777803_b.jpg

C R -- how do you deal with the slides? both mounts and showing? I have one and don't use it as much as I'd like.

I´m completely digital now, so to say. The slides are sorted (and enjoyed, of course) on a light table. The best ones go to a professional scan service, 4800 dpi Coolscan into 48bit TIFFs on DVD. The files are sometimes postprocessed, then printed. Or they are downsized for viewing on the screen.

I must admit, the Fujica is gathering dust since my M9 arrived....

gw690

gw690

can someone show some pics????

Scanned on a dismal epson3170 that can't keep the neg flat and needs to be replaced urgently :D.

Photo is from today.
APX100, Rodinal, stand - same boring stuff as always.

Straight from the scanner into jpg, no PP whatsoever, no sharpening.

4229441974_25d0950ca0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful pics,guys:D..well I've just seen a fuji gw 670 III ?????what's it? same focal than gw690?I couldn't find any on ebay...should I consider it?
@ C R I've bought a VC bubble level that is great to use:rolleyes:.......great pics

well I've just seen a fuji gw 670 III ?????what's it? same focal than gw690?

The GW and GSW I/II came in 6x7 and 6x9 versions (named 670 and 690 for obvious reasons) - the GW/GSW III even added 680 (6x8cm) versions. All of them are the same except for a different format mask and transport sprocket/counter matching the format. There also was a G670 (along the G690) and GM670 (along the GL690).

There is nothing wrong with them, other than having a slightly smaller format - this saves film, and may match the print size you (or your clients) prefer, but if you want maximum resolution and the 2:3 side ratio of 24x36mm small format, the 690's are the way to go. For that reason, 670's nowadays are usually more affordable. For whatever reason (oddness and scarcity attracting collectors?) the 680 models tend to be noticeably more expensive than their 690 counterpart, which makes them least attractive among the bunch.

Sevo

Are you looking on US eBay???

Are you looking on US eBay???

Wonderful pics,guys:D..well I've just seen a fuji gw 670 III ?????what's it? same focal than gw690?I couldn't find any on ebay...should I consider it?
@ C R I've bought a VC bubble level that is great to use:rolleyes:.......great pics

I count at least a half dozen in various form and model ... G690, GW690, plus GW690II and GW690III. Yes, there is a 6X7 and was in all those models. There is also a GW680 in both the II and III models which was a home market (Japan). It's starting to show up on the US site frequently. It is 6X9, and NO, I am not confusing it with the GX 680, which is a full modular system camera. I REPEAT, DO NOT MAKE YOU'RE OWN ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT THE CATEGORY AN ITEM SHOULD BE LOCATED IN BY YOUR THINKING! That's the best way to miss the better deals. Search very few key words in All Categories. Also search intentionally mis-spelled names and models. eBay does not edit, does not spell check, and does not baby sit people on category placement. If someone puts an item in the wrong category, eBay could care less. In fact many people do make determinations about better categories to sell in than would seem logical and often do, intentionally, use categories that bring better results. I do it all the time by researching closed items and finding out where the items bring the best results.

I have a search saved as Fuji in Medium Format.

Search in all categories for Fuji 690. You're sure to find at least one. Then look at the categories and go back about two categories until you find Medium Format, (not by mfr). Then do a search on Fuji. You should get around 100 items to wander through.

Or try this link, which is my search string for best number of Fuji in Medium Format:

http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Medium-Format-/710/i.html?_nkw=fuji&_armrs=1&_dmd=1&_from=R2&_ipg=50&_pcats=15230%2C625&_sop=1

That will pick up all the Fuji cameras in Medium Format Film cameras on the US eBay site.

There are consistently at least 6 to 10 of the big rangefinders in various models on the eBay site. One very good seller, who often has two or three is a user named fotofila

These camera's are neither rare or hard to find if you are seriously looking for one. Prices range all over the place, starting at around $500. Occasionally less, and going up to around $1000. There are some truly unrealistic sellers over $1000 who claim to have exceptional low count boxed like new and are way out of line on price. I've purchased (and sold) exceptional, low count, boxed and like new examples for well under $1000.

The bottom line is that, while the model designations are confusing, there are quite commonly found three formats and two lens variations.

Formats are:
6X7
6X8 (limited in number in the GW, NOT the GX)
6X9

Lenses are interchangeable on the G series, and fixed after the GW
65mm (harder to find, but found in the interchangeable and fixed lens later models)
100 (only on the interchangeable early models)
90 where found as the longer lens on the fixed lens models

G most often early interchangeable
GW means the camera is a long lens - 90 fixed
GSW means the camera is a wide angle 65 fixed

Early models were also made under the longer Fujica name, so a G690 or G690bl will often be listed as a Fujica.

And even with all that, I haven't covered all the misunderstood ways people list the cameras, nor the limitations of the eBay search engines.

You have to be creative and persistent with changing spaces in names and models on searching eBay or you will never find ALL the variations of screwed up ways the listings are put on the system. Furthermore, if you don't get creative on the searching, you will likely bypass the good deals, because that means that people are not finding the deals and therefore, there is no bidding on poorly titled listings.

eBay is very confusing and tricky for many people. Try to change your searches around with regard to spacing and spelling, and don't use too many search words to begin a search. Also start your searches in all categories. Good deals on eBay are quite often Mis-Categorized.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
There is also a GW680 in both the II and III models

Sure there was a GW680II as well? I've never seen a 680II, nor any Fuji printed matter listing one. Or did you muddle up with the 680III being available as both GW and GSW?

There are consistently at least 6 to 10 of the big rangefinders in various models on the eBay site. One very good seller, who often has two or three is a user named fotofila

Currently, "astrosmith22" is selling the most of them - you'd have to add taxes on import from Japan to his prices, though.

G most often early interchangeable
GW means the camera is a long lens - 90 fixed
GSW means the camera is a wide angle 65 fixed

Throw in G670BL/G690BL (2nd generation interchangeable) and GL690/GM670 (3rd generation interchangeable) - the model generations of the fixed lens ones are latin numbered I-III.

Last edited:
Sure there was a GW680II as well? I've never seen a 680II, nor any Fuji printed matter listing one. Or did you muddle up with the 680III being available as both GW and GSW?
Currently, "astrosmith22" is selling the most of them - you'd have to add taxes on import from Japan to his prices, though.
Throw in G670BL/G690BL (2nd generation interchangeable) and GL690/GM670 (3rd generation interchangeable) - the model generations of the fixed lens ones are latin numbered I-III.

My apologies, but I didn't take a lot of time to sort out the model designations in fine detail. You are likely right about the 680 model. They were not imported to the US by Fuji, so are not in great numbers. Fuji was only one of the few camera companies that put a lot of energy into the 6X8 format, so that's somewhat unique.
I did generalize on the early interchangeables. There was the bl series which added a shutter button on the front, additional to the top shutter button. And correct you are on the Gl690/GM670 which I think was the only time the letter designations differed between the formats... Gl to GM.

When you mention sellers, my mind goes to fotofila, who has, over time, sold quite a number of the early interchangeable models. He is in the US.

What I often see on the Japanese sellers is that they sell for less because of the international aspect of the auction and shipping slightly offsets the price advantage. Furthermore, most of my purchase seem to be from sellers operating as storefronts or dealers.

I've never been tapped for customs on any camera's purchased internationally and shipped to the USA. Nor have any of my items been delayed by customs inspection.

Your experience may be otherwise. I've purchased from numerous overseas sellers and Canada.

Last edited:
Well, I think I'll try to buy a fuji gw690 II because it's less expensive:p and it's 38mm equiv. than gw690III and I've read that it has a better RF/VF . I'm saving money to buy it and I think to spend 400/500€ for it!:D

Back