Fuji 690?

"Texas Leica" -- it surprisingly good in the hands, but I do not have a photo of one. Not too bad around the neck, the later models had a lot of polycarbonate, plus I think them rather ergonomic, and certainly more portable than the Pentax. Well made, strong, cameras. I have several, but mostly would grab the GSW III.
Regards, John
Thanks John,

I actually did a quick search on Flickr and found a group called "Fuji GW 690". There's a mirror self-portrait shot here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blueone33/4067962830/in/pool-fuji-gw690

The camera looks HUGE. "Texas Leica" - love that! Glad to hear it handles well... Now to save my pennies...

Jack

Help Needed ASAP!!

Help Needed ASAP!!

Please can you tell me the street price for a used,in good condition fuji gw 690III?how much can cost a CLA? thanks

Probably $350-500. A CLA from my camera guy costs $50, but probably more in the states. These are really reliable cameras.

Probably $350-500. A CLA from my camera guy costs $50, but probably more in the states.

By Japanese standards. A good GW690III will go for €/$600-1000 in Europe and the US (the camera $ is about at parity to the Euro), a CLA will be around 100-200. Japanese dealers will sell them a bit cheaper over ebay, but rarely so cheap that they are below the above including the about 20-30% taxes and duties you'll have to pay throughout the EU.

The I or II are more affordable - these can be found for around €/$350-500.

A colleague at work once picked up a Voigtlander Bessa II with a Heliar for $35 from a seller who was getting rid of the family heirlooms at a garage sale for some quick cash.

How often do you run into a seller that is that stupid?

A GW690 III should be obtainable for about $600, plus shipping - if one is patient.

I paid a little less for mine - due to the fact there where a plethora of big Fujis on the big auction site shortly before Xmas a couple of years ago. Before that I had a GW670 II and I thought it was a bargain at $375.

The GSW 690 II and III with a the 65mm lens fetch more. I would prefer it, if I were looking for a Big Fuji.

Neon Highways BY Fuji Rangefinder GSW690III

Neon Highways BY Fuji Rangefinder GSW690III

I purchased my GSW690III from the gentleman who shot this seried of photos on pBase. The link is:

http://www.pbase.com/neonhighways/inbox

He pointed me to this album and cemented the deal on the camera. He told me most of the images were taken with the GSW I purchased.

One of the images "Kent Diner" was on the small two lane highway we took to visit my grandparents two/three times a year. The diner was our gas and refreshment stop on the trip in the late 40's and 50's. It still sits, boarded up to this day near Wasco Oregon

Ken Hansen coined the term "Texas Leica"

Many years ago, in exchange for a rare lens, Ken Hansen gave photographer Bob Schwalberg a Fuji RF camera w/a sticker that said "TEXAS LEICA":eek: The rest is history ...

Regards,
RLouzan

--------------------------------------------------------------------
WTB: 35mm f3.5 W Komura, W Acall Kyoei, Telesar or Accura ltm lens.
Please send PM with details.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased my GSW690III from the gentleman who shot this seried of photos on pBase. The link is:

http://www.pbase.com/neonhighways/inbox

He pointed me to this album and cemented the deal on the camera. He told me most of the images were taken with the GSW I purchased.

One of the images "Kent Diner" was on the small two lane highway we took to visit my grandparents two/three times a year. The diner was our gas and refreshment stop on the trip in the late 40's and 50's. It still sits, boarded up to this day near Wasco Oregon

GREAT PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of superb pictures in this thread. Many thanks to TWoK, JohnTF, LeicaM3, Charlie Lemay, P C Headland and C_R for posting them.

For those interested in the old Fuji G690 with interchangeable lenses, may I suggest you have a look at my webpage about this fine camera.

Cheers!

Abbazz

I think this thread needs more pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright then....

4215678132_727bd6067b_o.jpg

What is a good guess for the market value for the set Fujica 690 plus the 100mm 3.5 lens in good working conditon? $500-$600?

Last edited:
You mean the 10Cm or 100mm 3.5 lens

You mean the 10Cm or 100mm 3.5 lens

your estimate 500-600 is in the ball park. This is the early 690 which was designated with a G at the front. The G690 and G690bl and the GM670 were all interchangeable lenses and most often are found with the 100MM 3.5. There is a moving dark slide for changing lenses mid-roll and occasionally that slide is not working, so this is a key check point.

A decent early 690 showing some usage, brassing and minimal paint loss on the edges, with a working dark slide and a user 100mm (shutter and apertures clean and shutter times on) should be around $500. User, or similar to KEH bgn. Pay what you will for better cosmetics.

The 65mm faster lens (5.6) will be as much as that camera and lens. More often found for more money than that. Not as easily found.

I've come to the conclusion that it is less expensive to buy a GW690II (90mm lens) or III AND a GSW 690II (both fixed lens) for less money than trying to find a clean G690 or bl and both lenses (100 and 65)

Last edited:
If you are looking primarily at a 65mm, I would go for a GSW690III instead. It has a hard-edge viewfinder, it's a lot lighter, the contours are a lot sleeker, its shutter ages better, and it doesn't need a projecting viewfinder to frame. It also has three strap lugs, allowing you to sling it vertically. The other thing is that eliminating the interchangeable lens mount makes the collimation of the lens and alignment of the rangefinder more precise (since you are eliminating a tolerance and don't need to align to a neutral third reference).

Dante

A bit off topic but I just went to KEH's website to have a look at the fixed lens Fuji rangefinders and there's a "GSW690II 65 F5.6 GOLD WITH BURGUNDY SUEDE (67) MEDIUM FORMAT MANUAL FOCUS FIXED LENS CAMERA" and the condition is rated UG(LY).

Usually their rating is related to the amount of wear the camera has had but here it just seem to me like it's the general description of this camera :D

Back