Fuji 690?

A bit off topic but I just went to KEH's website to have a look at the fixed lens Fuji rangefinders and there's a "GSW690II 65 F5.6 GOLD WITH BURGUNDY SUEDE (67) MEDIUM FORMAT MANUAL FOCUS FIXED LENS CAMERA" and the condition is rated UG(LY).

Usually their rating is related to the amount of wear the camera has had but here it just seem to me like it's the general description of this camera :D

Jamie, I JUST picked up the 'UGLY' GW670II from KEH. The one for $287.

Functionally the camera is fine.
Cosmetically, it has seen better days. Seals are good. Shutter is good. Winding and film transfer if good.
The lens hood is slightly bent and IMO, is not the best design anyhow. I think if i keep it, i will repair the hood.
The one issue, on the front element, right at top dead center is a small knick in the glass. I don't see it affecting the image though.

From what I've seen recently on Fleabay, GW670III goes for around 550-750USD, GSW690III for around 800-1100USD and the GW690III in between the two. The GW680III was about the same as the GW690III. The price you posted seems quite reasonable.

The camera is large but not unwieldily. It is not silent that's for sure (thanks to the counter actuator). My only gripe about the camera is that the hood doesn't lock in the open position. I like the fact it hides and protects the shutter speed and aperture dial, but it sometimes (most times actually) falls back from the locked position unless you're shooting down.

The camera has a built in bubble level, has a sharp lens, doesn't depend on batteries and flash syncs at all shutter speeds (thanks to the leaf shutter). Actually the fact that it doesn't have interchangeable lenses has been a bonus for me; I don't have to lust for more lenses. :D

Lenses are expensive!!!!

I love the 6x9 format, I used to have a mamiya 7 but sold it to get a fuji. Personally, I like cameras that are purely mechanical and batteries are never a worry. I picked up my gsw690II for a little over 600 with a 140 shutter count. The camera is in great condition. Does anyone know of a good place to get a CLA in the states? I want to keep mine running for years to come perfectly. Anyone ever work on their own cameras?

GSW 690 III

10845095-lg.jpg

11642690-lg.jpg

GW 690 II
11642692-lg.jpg

Last edited:
Check my previous post in this thread

Check my previous post in this thread

I love the 6x9 format, I used to have a mamiya 7 but sold it to get a fuji. Personally, I like cameras that are purely mechanical and batteries are never a worry. I picked up my gsw690II for a little over 600 with a 140 shutter count. The camera is in great condition. Does anyone know of a good place to get a CLA in the states? I want to keep mine running for years to come perfectly. Anyone ever work on their own cameras?

Previously in this thread I gave the name, company name and telephone number of Frank Marshman. He has done a half dozen various Fuji's for me, and I just spoke with him a couple of days ago about another I am sending.

Frank's been repairing and servicing these camera's since the 70's

Are you aware of how big these cameras are? I had one, and was shocked when it came out of the box. The wife laughed herself silly when I held it up to shoot it. No lie. Always felt like I needed a red wig and big floppy shoes when I shot it. Needless to say it went back to KEH. Like all the Fuji MF glass, it was sharp, but in a too clean and soulless way. I like lenses like Tessars, Planars, Summicrons, Xenotars. The Fuji glass isn't in the same league.

I later bought a Bessa II w/ 105 Color Heliar for less money. Man oh man, I should never have sold that camera. One of the most amazing lenses in all of MF photography, and tack sharp corner to corner. So much for the myth that folders don't hold the film flat. Some do, some don't.

Last edited:
I've had a GW690(I) for just over a year.
I love and hate this camera.
The lens is absolutely gold and probably one of the best you'll ever handle.
The format is great, but at 8 frames a 120 roll it's rather expensive to shoot vs the two 645 120 camera's I have.
AS such I think I've shot a total of 4 rolls of film in the last year on it and am considering trading + cash it to a friend for an M4.

Here's a couple of shots from the last roll I shot (and some dust). All are hand held.

4422613799_7075112f2e.jpg

4423379138_957c1c0347.jpg

4423378546_ceab5e58e7.jpg

I've had my GW670III for three years, and though I like the film format I just haven't "bonded" with this camera so it hasn't been used much. I certainly have no complaint about its results.

070214-18big.jpg

070214-13big.jpg

@ Nate, love those pictures!

@ everyone else, you all really showcased what the Fuji 690 RF's can do! I always love the results everytime I use that camera, just amazing. Now if I can only scrape together enough change to buy that extra lens...

I actually am looking for the 180mm telephoto, I think it'll make a good head and shoulder portrait lens. As for the wide, I'm quite happy with the Mamiya 6's 50mm lens so I'm staying put for now. Though, how much is the "cheapish" 65mm? very curious ;)

I had a G690 BL for maybe a year and loved it. I loved the lenses and the images they made. The 65mm was probably one of the finest optics I've ever used, Leica, Konica, Nikon, Zeiss, Canon and Pentax included. The negatives and even better, chromes are without peer.
As for the rarity of the cameras and lenses, I looked for two months and assembled a nice 3 lens kit: 65mm, 100mm and 150mm. I got a user body and some great lenses, so it just takes looking. These, I think, are more common in the western Pacific since I've seen a few come from Australia (that's also where I had mine shipped from) and Singapore. I got the body with the 100mm lens and found the others afterwards. Simply one of the best systems out there. Bloated, yes but for that kind of adaptability with the range of lenses, it's the only player in that game short of using a large format field camera or a Crown Graphic with a few lenses. Then there goes the convenience out the window unless the camera has a rollfilm back.
I only wound up selling it because I was using 35mm and digital so much more for work and school that the 6x9 needed to find a new home.

For those mainly interested in the 100mm lens, the best bargain is to buy a cheap Fuji G690 (the first model) with a damaged darkslide.

Someone has just done exactly what Abbazz recommends (well, very close to exactly ... it's a 670) and got what would seem to be a great bargain: this one. That's if I've read it correctly and if the description is indeed accurate. USD 150 was a good deal for body + 100 mm, no?, even if (worst case) the body were complete rubbish and only the lens were usable. I had been eyeing this one in its previous listing that expired, bidless, at USD 180. Alas, I recently spent my allowance on some other gear... :(
--Dave

There's been a 180 on eBay for couple of months...

There's been a 180 on eBay for couple of months...

I don't know where any 180's are, but the 65 is about $400. I tried to find a cheap BL or GL for it with no luck. The Mamiya 6's 50 is superb. I used to have one.

Still there a couple of days ago... BIG bucks.

Somehow, I get the idea that few people really look where all the inventory ends up. eBay Paranoia?

Still say best combo for a 65 and 90mm (or 100)

Still say best combo for a 65 and 90mm (or 100)

Ultimately, I think it's cheaper to find a GSW and a GW in the fixed lens models (model II, or really good deal on III), than to buy the interchangable G690 with a 100, and wait around for a 65 to show up.

I've seen a couple of GSW690II cameras in the last month for around $600, which is what a nice 65/5.6 will normally bring. Then lens changing is not an issue.

I personally think the going prices for 150 and especially 180 simply rule them out for bang for the buck. Telephoto on 6X9? I'd rarely use it.

Ultimately, I think it's cheaper to find a GSW and a GW in the fixed lens models (model II, or really good deal on III), than to buy the interchangable G690 with a 100, and wait around for a 65 to show up.

I've seen a couple of GSW690II cameras in the last month for around $600, which is what a nice 65/5.6 will normally bring. Then lens changing is not an issue.

I personally think the going prices for 150 and especially 180 simply rule them out for bang for the buck. Telephoto on 6X9? I'd rarely use it.

Kuzano, that is a very good point. However, for myself, I just feel that I don't want to take two bodies into the field. If I were to carry two bodies I'd much rather carry two disparate systems, such as 1 35mm SLR and 1 MF RF. I personally would love to be able to get the 180mm, but it's just a lot of money from Ebay. Knowing the limitations of the RF, I don't intend to use it for anything else but head-shoulder portraits, which I'd like to at least try with this format. However, in this regard, the SLR certainly has RF beat!

But otherwise I'm not too worried about obtaining the other lenses. I'm really happy with the "normal" lens, and don't mind getting the 180mm and 65mm only when the prices match my budget.

A fixed-lens Fuji 690 is significantly lighter than an interchangeable-lens 690 with lens. Just eases the weight penalty of carrying two, say a GW and a GSW.

A fixed-lens Fuji 690 is significantly lighter than an interchangeable-lens 690 with lens. Just eases the weight penalty of carrying two, say a GW and a GSW.

Good point Doug, I didn't consider that...perhaps that's going to be the alternative for me in the future.

Two may equal one and a half...

Two may equal one and a half...

Having both the fixed and interchangable Fuji's, I'd probably put money on the fact that the G690 body alone with the 100 and 65mm lenses could likely weigh more (or equal to) two of the fixed lens models (GW and GSW).

The most flexibilty, however in format and focal length would be a G690 body and a GM670 body (interchangable lens) and the two lenses 100 and 65. The 670 gets 10 shots per roll, or 20 shots per roll on 220.

I like where I am however on the G690/100 and the GSW690III/65mm.

Last edited:
Back