Great bags for all your expensive gear

These types of bags are too fine for my needs in camera bags. $50-$100 is a reasonable target for a camera bag. With fine leather this will not get you even a camera bag strap or name tag holder:

I've always been very suspicious of leather bags. It seems that every time I come across a yard sale or flea market "find" of an old leather bag with cameras or lenses inside, they are ruined by extensive fungus. I suspect that the leather traps moisture and provides a yummy environment for mold/mildew organisms. In addition, leather bags are a good deal heavier than their fabric counterparts, an issue for this old geezer with a bad back and medium format cameras to tote.
Certainly I'm not adverse to spending some money on my bags (or any other photo trinkets), but if I do, it will be on a Billingham.

Wow! Thanks for the link!! Nice looking bags (and half cases too) albeit pricey. Think I’ll stick w/ my Domke and Ona bags for now.

Alligator for me, to go with boots, belt and hat.

1134-75-2.jpg
:rolleyes:

My rule is to never use a bag that costs more than its intended contents.

Domke bags are a great value and have served me well over many years.

Chris

My rule is to never use a bag that costs more than its intended contents.

Domke bags are a great value and have served me well over many years.

Chris

Would agree. The Oberwerth bag I linked is just a beautiful article. I'd hate to carry it around. there are lots of new billionaires and millionaires these da ys and they buy luxury everything.

A fellow who assured me his M3 had never been sullied by color film also carried that M3 in a crappy old WW I gas mask bag. It was way too big and shapeless with the camera inside. I do not want anything expensive that just screams "steal me!" I have a small, cheap canvas bag that carries a camera and a few lenses. I take the camera and leave the bag hidden in the car. If I am going any distance from the car the bag comes with me. It is a dirty, scruffy old bag with spills on it. High-end leather bags for cameras are likely to be stolen as much as for a fashion item as for the gear. I just do not want to borrow trouble. As usual, YMMV.

When traveling or when doing a lot of walking I want the absolute lightest bag I can get that will carry my stuff. I went from a Domke 803 to a Bare Bones Bag and saved a good bit of weight.

So.....what about that elephant skin bag I can get from the "von" and his princess wife? Seems like a luxury bag for my lowly regular Leicas. I suppose I need to get a limited special edition M first, then I can consider the elephant skin.

Truth be told, I too am one of those folks who use a krummy looking bag that doesn't want attention. My nicest bag is a Domke. For those occasions when my wife wants me to dress nice. :cool:

Back