Great bags for all your expensive gear

As beautiful as those leather bags are, they look a little risky for street photographers. My bag of late has been a Timbuk2 Vapor Crossbody, which looks nothing like a camera bag. I can put a small RF camera and a lens or two in it, w/ room for sunglasses and a few rolls of film (or batteries). Its small size forces you to pair your walkabout kit to the minimum. It’s pretty inconspicuous. And light weight. Of course, it doesn’t smell as nice as those leather bags, but it also costs under $100 usd.

I looked at that Timbuktu Vapor Crossbody online. I liked that it seems rather flat and body-hugging. But a review I read made it sound like the placement of the zippers is peculiar, so that depending on you you sling the bag, the zipper might be underneath the compartment, so that stuff is liable to fall out. Actually I'm a bit distrusting of sling bags in general, for fear of dropping a camera or lens out of it. I have a Think Tank Sling bag I haven't worked up to using yet, for that reason, even though it seems fairly secure.

Two shoulder bags that I find make very good Leica bags are the Domke F-6, and the Think Tank Retrospective 5. The F-6 is my "home away from home" bag that will hold two Leica M bodies with small to medium size lenses attached; plus four more lenses, and a zippered "kangaroo" front pouch, for accessory finders, lens brush, batteries, SD cards, film, even a Fuji X20 or a Leicasonic D-Lux 6. The Retrospective 5 is a bit smaller: It can hold one Leica body with lens, plus two more lenses. So it doesn't hold as much gear, but it has lots of pockets to keep the small items separate and organized, with pockets just right for batteries, finder magnifiers, accessory finders, filters, as well as lens brush and microfiber cloth. It even has a compartment for a tablet. And it is more weatherproof and more secure than the Domke. And of course by holding less gear it is more comfortable to carry. Both bags are fairly hip-hugging.

Edit: I wanted to add that I also have the Think Tank Retrospective 6, which is a bit bigger and holds a bit more than the Retro 5. It's almost the same bag, but adds just enough length to add one more velcro divider, creating space for another camera; it's also a bit deeper front-to-back, just enough to allow carrying two moe lenses separated by small velcro panels. So it carries everything the F-6 can, and more, with the same compartments for small stuff as the Retro 5. The bad news is that they seems to have discontinued the retro 6, and I can't imagine why! Does anyone know?

I do have a couple of modestly expensive bags from Wotancraft ... their Mini Rider and Easy Rider sling bags. They are superbly made, work very well, and nothing's going to fall out of them unless you do something exceptionally dumb. I also have both the 5L and 10L version 1 Peak Design bags. I have used the 5L extensively, the 10L not so much. Very well made, very nicely designed. They are pretty similar in capacity and concept to the Wotancrafts, but the Wotancrafts have a better harness for bicycle riding (the bags do not move around as your body moves. I find the PD bags are better for walking for exactly the opposite reason ... they are easier to move around and get your stuff in and out of. That's why I have both. ;)

The Photo Village Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II has been my standard camera and flight carryall for when I'm traveling with a bit more gear since 2011. It's the same size as the Billingham Hadley model I used before it, lighter, and carries a little more. The Artist & Artisan Oskar's One Day Bag that it was designed from I also have and use: it's not quite as capacious but is also an excellent design.

One of my most used bags of late is a very simple Lowepro Terraclime 100 ... a very light, modestly sized satchel with basically one big space, a flat zippered pocket inside, and a couple of small flat front pockets. It's light, flexible, and handles a lot of stuff ... I use wraps to segregate things when needed. But it's discontinued (for a while, I think). I use it a lot because I'm carrying less and less gear, and I more want a bag to carry "all the other junk" including be a place to stuff my jacket and hat when the day warms up, or when I want to have them just in case it rains (like today).

And my standard cycling bag now is a Patagonia Atom 8L ... Not really designed for camera gear, but a perfect size and weight for general purpose use with most anything I carry when on my bicycle. Like the Terraclime 100, I stuff anything that needs protection into it with a wrap. Again, you're not going to drop anything out of it unless you do something terribly dumb, and it hangs perfectly on your back while cycling or walking, flips around to your chest for access quickly and easily when needed.

There are 20 other bags in the closet: Domkes, Tenbas, Think Tanks, etc. They're all full of various bits and pieces of camera equipment, lighting equipmen, close up equipment, flash equipment, etc. Yes, I have way too much camera gear... ! :rolleyes:

G

---
I just looked at that Timbuk2 Vapor Crossbody. I'm not sure I like the semi-external, individually zippered pockets; I can see lots of opportunity with that design to leave something unzipped inadvertently. And while it looks like it can adapt to left or right shoulder wear easily, it's not optimized for either. Slings should be a little simpler IMO, to minimize the possibility of error. For me, a sling bag should ride with the strap around the right side of my neck, so that I pull it around on my left ... a little asymmetry works to optimize it in this regard. The Atom 8L does this perfectly: when I have the bag around front, the main and single small pocket zippers point upwards and made access very easy, and even if I push it back onto my back without zipping them closed, the contents slide away from them and deeper into the bag towards its bottom.

The only way I would buy a $9,400 camera bag is if it came with at least one Leica inside it.

My favorite camera bag is a Think Tank Retrospective 4. It holds a 35mm SLR with lens attached, another lens, and a few rolls of film. Exactly what I want to carry and nothing more. And it's pretty unobtrusive (mine is black).

The only way I would buy a $9,400 camera bag is if it came with at least one Leica inside it.

My favorite camera bag is a Think Tank Retrospective 4. It holds a 35mm SLR with lens attached, another lens, and a few rolls of film. Exactly what I want to carry and nothing more. And it's pretty unobtrusive (mine is black).
I have a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20. It is small and I carry one body and two lenses. It is the perfect size for that.

Expense aside, IMO the worst part about luxury leather bags is the weight. As someone who enjoys walking around with a couple of cameras and lenses with the potential to carry knick knacks and snacks, the bag needs to be only heavy enough to protect the gear, but not so heavy as to feel like it already has gear when empty. I don't even like using the Thinktank Urban Disguise bags for everyday walkaround because they are unfortunately heavy.

My most used bags are light, practical and often not for cameras. My most used bag is the Crumpler Dry Red Boarding Bag, a lightweight canvas 8 litre shoulder bag with a sturdy zip and multiple pockets. It can fit a M9 and micro four thirds camera at a pinch for airline travel, and it doesn't look like a camera bag at all, because it isn't.

Second most used bag is the Alpaka Go Sling Pro, a purpose-designed camera/gear bag with a detachable strap, big enough to hold a Panasonic G9 fitted with 12-35 or Olympus f1.2 Pro prime, a spare lens, cards and batteries. I tend to use this for shooting events, and for airline travel. Another great but discontinued bag is the Lowepro Streamline, a nylon shoulder bag with expandable sides and padded pockets for compact camera and tiny lenses.

Some years ago, I bought into the hype and got a Billingham Hadley Pro, and was disappointed by how heavy and stiff it was. Much of the weight came from the padded insert. I've since put the insert into a Samsonite backpack and used that as a camera bag instead. I brought the Hadley Pro to a camera shop one time and saw a couple of Hadleys on a couch - they turned out to belong to customers! So if I had put my bag on the couch, someone could have picked it up, mistaking it for theirs!

There's almost no chance of this happening with an Oberwerth, given how uncommon they would be, but I'm not spending thousands of dollars to get a heavy, clunky theft magnet.

I have a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20. It is small and I carry one body and two lenses. It is the perfect size for that.
The Mirrorless Mover series was developed as a slightly scaled down version of the Urban Disguise bags I mentioned above. Still a bit too boxy for me, but I love Thinktank's build quality and plethora of pockets and compartments.

I have found that the price of a bag correlates poorly with its usability. Thus far, my luckiest acquisition has been Tenba DNA 11. It is just right for my APS setup –an A6400 body with a zoom attached and two primes. The primes never leave the bag. Hm. Today, I ordered a Wandred Sedona 6L, which will carry my Leica setup. It is orange!
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 15.20.45.png

Over the years, I've used many bags. The Billingham didn't make the cut. A stack of Domkes...I still have two original well-used messenger bags and an F-10. My most used bag though is this soft Slow Tools canvas bag from Japan. A Rolleiflex or Leica M (sometimes in a Domke wrap) a meter and a bit of film...images.jpgIMG_0042.JPG

Last edited:
I have found that the price of a bag correlates poorly with its usability. Thus far, my luckiest acquisition has been Tenba DNA 11. It is just right for my APS setup –an A6400 body with a zoom attached and two primes. The primes never leave the bag. Hm. Today, I ordered a Wandred Sedona 6L, which will carry my Leica setup. It is orange!
View attachment 4835501
That bag has been in my Instagram feed for a couple of weeks, let us know how it goes.

Over the years, I've used many bags. The Billingham didn't make the cut. A stack of Domkes...I still have two original well-used messenger bags and an F-10. My most used bag though is this soft Slow Tools canvas bag from Japan. A Rolleiflex or Leica M (sometimes in a Domke wrap) a meter and a bit of film...View attachment 4835507
Where can one obtain the Slow Tools bag? I've been looking for one and not found any... ?

G

Where can one obtain the Slow Tools bag? I've been looking for one and not found any... ?

G
Here's a link to their leather version.
I had a friend in Japan send me one

This one looks very close.... and less expensive

Last edited:
Here's a link to their leather version.
I had a friend in Japan send me one

This one looks very close.... and less expensive

Many thanks! I like the Slow Tools bag but yes, they are pretty expensive.

I'm looking for a specific size and shape, and there seem to be a couple of choices on the Frost River site that will work nicely, and I kinda prefer the canvas over the leather for my application. The FRs are available at a much lower price too..

Things to think about... :D

G

Back