Hanoi viewed through Leica M

kiemchacsu

Well-known
Local time
9:53 PM
I've been thinking whether I should open a thread to depict a city because it's far beyond my possibility. Anyway, I will try to post and give captions; hope that people could have some information about Hanoi, the capital city of Vietnam. If anybody of you has visited and want to share, feel free to post photos.

Here we go, from the latest rolls

1. This is a warehouse where people collect things to be recycled, includes steel, aluminum, brass... from those women. They go through streets to buy scrap from each household. In Vietnam, we still do not have different trash bins to separate the waste from beginning.

1404 M2_35F2 Hanoi 07 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

2. The woman on the left was making fried eggs for the other old ladies. People in Hanoi like to have food right on the street.

1404 M2_35F2 Hanoi 06 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

3. Again, drinking draft beer on street.

1404 M2_35F2 Hanoi 03 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

4. A small kiosk to sell cigarettes, beverage, tea...

1404 M2_35F2 Hanoi 11 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

5. They make food and sell it in front of their house.

1404 M2_35F2 Hanoi 13 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

very nice photographically.
If I may add a techincal comment: the blacks are not true blacks and the images have a green tint. Some filtering during the scan and a levels adjustment should get rid of that small flaw.

Wonderful. Thanks for the photos. A place I always wanted to visit.

I could burn my "era" draft card there!

These are fascinating, great description of an exotic city and they are very good pictures. I especially like where you have gone into the darker locales - the contrast of the lady's skin tone against the dark in #4 is particularly striking.

I remember Kiemchacsu's set in another thread featuring the village people of Vietnam, and that was also very special.

These few are from my last trip back in 2009, while on my way to Sapa. They are on the Nikon D200 (digital, yeeks!), so if its contrary to the thread, please feel free to remove them :)

p643080116-4.jpg

p790917660-4.jpg

Stamp carver, Hanoi
Hand carved wood stamps which I simply had to get for myself and friends. I even got them autographed. They take pride in what they do, and I respect that. They may be doing it on the street, but they do it with heart.

p1055828289-4.jpg

Girl with baby brother, Sapa, Vietnam, 2009.
Shot with my Nikon F100 on HP5 (I think) and scanned with my cheapo scanner back in 2009.

p582543147-4.jpg

Perimeter of Hoa Kiem Lake, Hanoi.
Street hawkers are plenty, and this is how they sustain their lives and their families, through sheer determination.

They didnt win the war by chance. They won it through gritting their teeth and getting down and dirty to survive.

I have crawled through the tunnels with my Domke F2, and till today, I have no clue how they did it with rice, babies, rifles and tools for 20 years.

Oh yes, the coffee...ROCKS.

A fascinating glimpse into another world... far from the world I inhabit. Thank you! Please keep them coming.

I was in Hanoi during August 2007 for an adoption: beautiful people and culture. My daughter is now 7, and we should return for a visit. Will avoid high summer this time. :)

Thank you all for your interests! Some more photos:

During the Soviet era (says 60s - 70s previous century), Soviet Union and East Germany had helped Vietnam to build many residential unit while we were still busy with the Civil War. I guess that were the huge improvement in terms of living condition at that time but at the moment, most of them are in serious deterioration. The City has been trying to demolish and rebuild them but there are still a lot remained in really bad condition. I am giving an example of "Van Chuong residential neighborhood", the place I've visited several times to document it.

6. Here is the facade of a apartment, you can have an idea how old it is.

1207_16_Vanchuong_Fomapan100_2 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

7. The electricity odometers are located in front of each building

1207_14_Vanchuong_Fomapan100 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

8. Normally, there is a common playing ground for several buildings. Not so big but enough for kids playing football or guys doing body buider

1207_07_Vanchuong_Fomapan100(F3) by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

1207_05_HP5+_2 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

1207_01_Vanchuong_Fomapan100(F3) by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

1207_29_Vanchuong_Fomapan100(F3) by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

#8 is nice, but #11 is really cool.
A little girl holding a (fake) gun actually says a lot more than it looks if you associate it with the Vietnam War.

#8 is nice, but #11 is really cool.
A little girl holding a (fake) gun actually says a lot more than it looks if you associate it with the Vietnam War.

So a photo of a kid in the US holding a gun says what?

I really don't understand what you are getting at?

Sorry I didnt mean to say its violence.

I mean that in their defence of their lives, even women played a part in the war, either through building weapons/traps or holding arms.

this is great, the most interesting thread around here for me anyway - for a long,long time.
Please keep the images coming

I spent two weeks in Hanoi in 2008 - great city, I liked the food, the buildings and streets, and the people; everything except crossing the road.

Back