Hanoi viewed through Leica M

Jan i would suggest a visit outside of the summer time where the heat is boiling at 35C :) other than that my fav time is fall or late winter (jan-april).
I had so little time in town to go deeper into specific areas like Trung (kiemchacsu) and i think his photos are better in describing the local daily life but will continue to share some more shots.
Trung we should definitely hang out next year when i'm in hanoi and if you happen be there. I'm passionate about the city and definitely want to visit more often. I enjoy your styles and hope to learn from you too!

Time for another photo :)

Surrounded by coffee beans and cramped inside the small space these small coffee shops really foster the community feel. People come to chat after breakfast with other regulars about family, politics, business sports or just about anything.

Hanoi Morning Coffee

14204371501_e5ba65f1f4_z.jpg

Time for another photo :)

Surrounded by coffee beans and cramped inside the small space these small coffee shops really foster the community feel. People come to chat after breakfast with other regulars about family, politics, business sports or just about anything.

Hanoi Morning Coffee

Tina Manley raved about the coffee in Vietnam. She is posting on Pbase.com/ on her recent trip there. With her photos and the wonderful images posted in this thread, a visit to Vietnam seems compelling.

HFL

Leaf hat

Leaf hat

Here are some more photos in the theme "Leaf Hat" started by Tuanvinh. Actually I've post these somewhere in RFF already, just to collect into this topic.

32. A street vendor like I mentioned in post 1. On the background is the collecting point for to be recycled stuffs.

1204_14_400TX by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

33. Woman who sells things made from bamboo / sedge or broom such as: straw broom, brush, basket ...

1312_02_M2_TX_2 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

34. Flowers seller

1205_28_Fomapan by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

35. The "culture of streets" is quite prominent in Hanoi. As you can see those woman were washing vegetable on street.

washing dishes on street, hanoi, vietnam by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

i like it.

Thanks Lem.

I really enjoy number 32. Hanoi is busy and my first few days there i feel overwhelmed by the density at every corner. But i guess you can always find the quite part.
Saw this group of students on a field trip to Hoan Kiem Lake (the lake in No 26 by Trung), i feel they represent quite well the young generation of Vietnam:

14224735054_6d1a91f690_c.jpg

I like number 31 as well.
It is so typical of the grabbed street shot using an RF camera - in that the leg of the stool on left is cut off, the sign on upper right is cut off, this I find is common in that the framelines on most RF cameras don't give us precision compositions.
An SLR would of course frame it rightly y tidy, but then again that is why we love the RF cameras - in picture 31 the focus is quite rightly on the 2 ladies and their actions - not the edges of the frame. Well done, very nice indeed. Especially in that it's not cropped!

I like number 31 as well.
It is so typical of the grabbed street shot using an RF camera - in that the leg of the stool on left is cut off, the sign on upper right is cut off, this I find is common in that the framelines on most RF cameras don't give us precision compositions.
An SLR would of course frame it rightly y tidy, but then again that is why we love the RF cameras - in picture 31 the focus is quite rightly on the 2 ladies and their actions - not the edges of the frame. Well done, very nice indeed. Especially in that it's not cropped!

Quite interesting analysis about Rangefinder photo shoot, to be honest I never noticed that. Thank you for kind words!

Hi kiemchacsu and tuanvinh2000 oi,

Great pictures from Hanoi you are showing..I really enjoy your motifs and compositions – which captures the feeling of Hanoi very well..

I have been living here for 1,5 years now and it´s truly a very photografic city with a very openminded and (photo) friendly population..in addtion to being a very exiting city, Hanoi also has a very vibrent scene for anologue film photography which I really enjoy..I currently get my film developed at Zone 5 cafe at Tran Quoc Toan but let me know if you can recommend any other good places...

I have added to the pool of Hanoi film pics..they are all captured with either Konica Hexar or Mamiya 645..

Konica Hexar. FujiFilm 400. Hanoi -5 by DemoDres, on Flickr

Hi kiemchacsu and tuanvinh2000 oi, Great pictures from Hanoi you are showing..I really enjoy your motifs and compositions – which captures the feeling of Hanoi very well.. I have been living here for 1,5 years now and it´s truly a very photografic city with a very openminded and (photo) friendly population..in addtion to being a very exiting city, Hanoi also has a very vibrent scene for anologue film photography which I really enjoy..I currently get my film developed at Zone 5 cafe at Tran Quoc Toan but let me know if you can recommend any other good places... I have added to the pool of Hanoi film pics..they are all captured with either Konica Hexar or Mamiya 645..

Hi Demodres.

It's great that you can contribute to this thread also. I still remember your photos in my Ha Giang topic. Your photos really show Hanoi at close looks, on other way I would say that you approach Hanoi like a local but take photos with different point of views, interesting indeed. Keep them coming please!

For film developing, I get my C41 films developed at x-lab 15 Ngõ Đào Duy Anh. I prefer them to the lab you mentioned, worth a try. For bw I do it by myself.

May be we can meet and have a beer someday!

Hi Demodres.

It's great that you can contribute to this thread also. I still remember your photos in my Ha Giang topic. Your photos really show Hanoi at close looks, on other way I would say that you approach Hanoi like a local but take photos with different point of views, interesting indeed. Keep them coming please!

For film developing, I get my C41 films developed at x-lab 15 Ngõ Đào Duy Anh. I prefer them to the lab you mentioned, worth a try. For bw I do it by myself.

May be we can meet and have a beer someday!

Hi Kiamchacsu oi - thanks for your kind words..taking pictures in beautiful and exciting Hanoi is a main hobby for me, and I really like exploring the city with my camera..still, I think your shots set the upper standard for displaying Hanoi via our cameras..:) I also think you are right about the different approaches between a local and foreigner photographer, and it may show in the photos...I assume people think of me as a lost tourist when I´m walking the streets taking photos, and it´s amazing how a few words of vietnamese can open doors and provide access to great scenes and shots..

And thanks for the tip for x-lap - will try it for my next c41 film development...I am for sure up for a beer and a photo chat...:)

Cheers, Andreas

Too bad can't join you guys for a beer and a chat.

This one is about children playground in the central area of the city. I realize that unlike what I grew up with, the children of today have to make do with just any open space as their playground like on tiny pavements on the less busy streets:

14299202034_2457b8f1d6_c.jpg

Well, it's time to update; from latest batch I shot recently.
These were taken in Long Bien market and the slum near by. Mostly people inhabitat here are from other provinces coming to Hanoi to earn for a living.

In slum besides Red river 1 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

In slum besides Red river 2 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

In slum besides Red river 3 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

In slum besides Red river 4 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

45 This was taken in Long Bien Market; the biggest wholesale market in Hanoi
Old woman in the Long Bien market by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

Back