How many digital cameras have you owned?

How many digital cameras have you owned?

• None

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • 1 or 2

Votes: 58 15.0%
  • 3-5

Votes: 111 28.7%
  • 6-10

Votes: 97 25.1%
  • More than 10

Votes: 110 28.4%

• Total voters
Two so far:

Olympus FE-170 (got for free in some promotion)
Nikon d5600 w/18-55 zoom thang (not a zoom fan)

I use the Olympus for imaging items for eBay. The Nikon's for a digital class I will audit in the fall with my boss, who teaches 5 photography classes at the junior college where I work. I'm his B&W darkroom tech for his Intro B&W class. I also tutor English a bit in the Writing Center. Keeps me busy, though I am technically retired.

Can't say I am sold on the digital format, but we shall see. Sure is convenient, though.

Still shoot lotsa film with M cameras. Plus 120 with a Bronica ETRSi. And develop and print it for free, except for Infrared Rollei 400, which I still soup at home.

Ouch. More than 10.

--2003 - Olympus D520.
--2006 - Nikon D40.
--2012 or 2013 - Panasonic GF3.
--2014(?) - Olympus EP1.
--2015 - Olympus EM10.
--2015(?) - Panasonic GM1.
--2015(?) - Panasonic GM5.
--2016 - Panasonic GX85.
--2017(?) - Fuji X100.
--2018 - Ricoh GRII.
--2019 - Panasonic GX9.
--2019 - Ricoh GRIII.
--2020 - Pentax KP.

That's an embarrassingly long list in a short time, but to be fair, some of those were only owned for a short while before moving them on. When you don't live near a camera shop, sometimes you just buy it! The GM1 and the Fuji in particular were quick in-and-out, the Fuji by far the quickest at maybe a month or so. The D40 was my only camera for a long time. Then, you can see I got into micro four thirds and poked around through the overwhelming number of bodies that have come out for that system. The GX85 provided me the longest satisfaction in M4/3, for what it's worth.

Too many. I held off on digitals til 2009 when I finally broke down and decided to go, the clincher for me was the influx of 10 MB 'prosumers' which convinced me color quality had reached a standard I could live with.

My partner gave me a Canon 450D kit which I did not really bond with and traded on a Nikon (read further). I then bought a Canon G10 which was a nice small camera, a sort of mini-Leica, but it did not give results I liked. Also sold a few years later when it had become quite a cult classic, so I got almost all my $$ back.

My partner bought me a secondhand Canon G9 which produced better results. It has now been passed on to a family friend who loves it and still uses it. Much better than the more expensive (as I bought it new) G10.

In 2010 I acquired the first of three Nikon D90s. We still have one as a happy snapper during our travels and for cat portraits. Continues to work well and I am astounded as the quality of the RAW images I can get from it. The other two were sold to friends who were looking for one. The 18-55 kit lens is truly superb.

I bought a secondhand D700 in 2012 when I retired. Then acquired ten Nikkor lenses including several zooms. I now have only one zoom but kept all the primes. They do beautiful work. The D700 is a true classic. This D700 now has 160,000 actuations but is still shooting. A wonder.

Bought a second (also used) D700 in 2018 as it was offered at a low price. It had 1,900 actuations. Going on 20,000 now. Has a battery grip so the weight is that of a small Sherman tank.

Bought a D800 demo camera in 2019. Again very few actuations (less than 1,000 if memory serves me). Use it regularly.

Acquired a Lumix GF1 kit for peanuts last year. Astoundingly good results and it travels with me on my country excursions.

Too many cameras...

I made the resolution last Christmas that I will not again buy another digital until my current collection gets worn out or I wear out, whichever comes first. I sadly suspect the latter.

We live and (sometimes) we learn, but it's all fun. I mean, why hang on to money when you consider the fuss and bother it causes when you leave it behind?

In my dreams - I fantasise about dumping the lot of the above and shooting with a Contax G1 and three lenses for the remainder of my days. Only B&W film. A good dream, but in a thread like this I am speaking heresy, so I will say no more lest I am wrapped in old Plus-X films and burned at a stake in the town square.

Decided to take the plunge into digital; wound up with two Sony AII's and the full complement of Loxia lenses. Found digital to be an amazingly powerful tool, and made some good images that I probably would have missed with film. Nevertheless, after three years, I ditched it all and went back to 35mm and MF. True to my user name...

Nikon Coolpix 950
Leica M8
Leica M8.2
Leica M9
Canon 5D mkII
Canon 5D MkIII
M[9]Monochrom
Panasonic DMC-LX5
Nikon D3000
Nikon D5100
Nikon D3200
Nikon D5300
Leica M-P 240
Leica M10-P

Since posting this (5 years ago), some things have changed:

A) I forgot the 4-5 point and shoot digital camera's I had. They were mostly forgettable so no loss.

B) So here's what I've added since 2016:

Canon 1dmkII (x2)
Canon 1D X Cinema

Fuji X100t
Fuji 50r

Leica Monochrom (CCD) (sold)
Leica M246

Canon D30 (hated it)
Canon digital Rebel (KISS) - a million times better then d30, I had this camera for qhite a while.
Canon 40d -live view was nice. Didn't keep that long
Canon 50d - Another of the long lived camera's kept it till I needed a canon body with video.
Canon 60d - didn't keep that long.
Canon 6d - 4 years now.

Fuji x100 (the original) - Really was more of a point and shoot to me.
Leica m8.2 -hated it, sold it 3 months later.
Leica m240 - 2 years now, does what I need it to do.

all the above, sold at some point.

Four.

Konica-Minolta DiMAGE X1
Bought this new in 2005 as my first digital camera. I bought it because I didn’t want to be ignorant of digital photography. Pocketable. It has an amazing set of features - “progressive capture modes” - that I don’t think exist in any other camera today (or maybe even back then). Suppose your son/daughter is going to make a goal, throw a 3-pointer, or just making a golf swing. In this mode, hold down the release and a continuous series of shots are collected in a cyclic buffer. After the goal, shot, swing, etc., release the shutter and you’ll have a sequence of high speed photos which begin seconds prior to the final release. Nice feature, because - unlike a very long burst - you’re not making and storing away hundreds of shots waiting for the action to complete.

Fuji X-Pro1
Bought this new in 2012 because I liked its hybrid OVF/EVF, its shutter and aperture settings, and the elegant way to select manual, aperture, shutter, program modes. What don’t I like? Too much clutter on the back - always pressing something by mistake.

Nikon D700
Bought a used one in 2013 because I wanted a digital body for all my Nikon lenses and I wanted full frame, plus it had earned a good reputation. What don’t I like? The whole menu interface. I want discrete dials and switches. Didn’t know the Df was coming.

Pentax K10D
Sold to me by my camera-repair friend for $10. Bought a 35/2.4 lens for it and now it’s my favorite camera. Why? It’s so intuitive and how to use all the features are easily grasped and can be kept in your head. Nice 2006-vintage 10MP CCD images, too.

I’m not looking for another digital camera. I suspect what I have will last a while, as I make maybe a few hundred images a year with them, each, at most.

Nikon D3 , new from 2008. Still have and use it , but not much. I'd rather have a smaller camera, like a M10-r if I could afford it.

More than 10, starting with a 6 (?) MP Canon D60 in 2004

Currently and in the foreseeable future, down to

Nikon D800e
Fuji X Pro2 (x2)
XE 2
X100S

That's All Folks...I am done.

I have had many. The first was the Sony Mavica the one with the floppy disc I bought for the birth of my son. Too bad I lost all the images from it which were quite good. I then had a bunch of cameras for snaps the best one a Ricoh GRD. Once the iPhone became a viable camera I stopped buying digicams. What I like about the Apple infrastructure is that my photos don’t get lost unless I purposely delete them. The M8 is a great camera but after upgrading to an M9 and M9M with the sensor problems and 6 months wait I gave it all up for 100% film until the M10M.

I voted 10+ and stopped using film acknowledging that it does have look unique and different in spirit to digital. Now in California, I cannot see wasting all that water in developing both film and paper. (used to run water for hours at a time in my print washer which could hold about 12 16x20" prints. Now I have 6 cameras left, 4 digital Leica Ms and 2 Leica SL line bodies. I also have film Leica Ms which are exercised occasionally but no film is run through.

From early to recent:
1. Leica M9P (corrosion resistant sensor)
2. Leica M9 Monochrom (corrosion resistant sensor)
3. Leica M240 (traded in)
4. Nikon D800 (traded in)
5. Olympus OMD EM5 Mk II (sold)
6. Leica Q (traded in)
7. Leica SL # 1 (traded in)
8. Leica SL # 2
9. Leica M10 (traded in)
10. Leica SL2
11. Leica M10 Monochrom
12. Leica M10R

I have had 4 digital cameras:
2002 Sony Cybershot (4 megapixels)
2003 Canon EOS D30 (3 megapixels)
2006 Canon EOS 30D (8 megapixels) - Still use this one.
2009 Sony DSC-W120 (7 megapixels) - Gave it to my father who uses it still.

Cheers,
Anders

Five years(!) on and I've added a Sony A7iii to the mix, gotten rid of the Nex-7 and sent the D7000 kit to my sister in Australia to use.
My son's twins are coming soon in May and I'm thinking an A1 Sony will be just the ticket, but the A7iii may have to suffice.

Too many. Cameras that cost hundreds of dollars, if not a thousand, are sitting around pretty much worthless today. You can't give many of these cameras away and many end up in landfills. That's part of the reason I shoot film - cameras hold their value and no further impact to the environment through the manufacture of another eventually disposable camera.

Too many. Cameras that cost hundreds of dollars, if not a thousand, are sitting around pretty much worthless today. You can't give many of these cameras away and many end up in landfills. That's part of the reason I shoot film - cameras hold their value and no further impact to the environment through the manufacture of another eventually disposable camera.

If you want to own and shoot a lot of different digital cameras, you have to both buy and sell - and learn to anticipate the point where a camera starts to decline in value. Otherwise you're going to have a lot of paperweights sitting around.

I've not owned nearly as many digital cameras as I have film cameras. Here's the list:
  • Minolta Dimage 7i
  • Olympus C-7070WZ
  • Ricoh GRD III
  • Canon EOS M50
I'm also not counting my various smartphones because their primary purpose is/was to be a phone.

None. My Ex wife stole my Sumsung EX1, and I got it put down (with other taken items) in the consent order, as proof of the type of character she had turned into.

Back