How old were you when you got your first Leica?

20, got a M2 last year after my zorki 4 broke. I have been afflicted by GAS but probably one of the greatest cures is being a broke student. Nonetheless it was totally worth it once I got over buyers remorse, it goes nearly everywhere with me and helped me realise some great experiences. So yeah I think you can't really be too young to appreciate it.

my_first_leica.jpg

my_teacher.jpg

20 - bought an M3 with a 50mm DR and a 35mm Summaron from a man who was selling off his father's cameras as he no longer shot them. GAS sunk in and I swiftly bought an M5 with a 40mm summicron-c as well as a 35mm Color-Skopar. I think there will some kit realignment in the coming months as I sell some gear to buy a fairly wide (21mm-ish) lens.

~S

it doesnt.

it will slow down as you figure out what it is you like, then you'll just add a few things here and there instead of the mad shuffle you do in the beginning.

you are exactly right... I'm definitely at the mad shuffle stage where I wanna try everything I see...

I was 25 had been using Canon rf's for two years and was having problems finding ltm lenses, this was way back in 72. Picked up a DS M-3 and a 50mm summilux, sent the body back to the factory in 74 with a friend who was a Leica repairman and went to the factory back then about every year. It came back rebuilt in a sealed plastic bag with a new RF and single stroke. Still have the body and lens today.
wbill

32. After very much enjoying a Voigtlander r3a and M rokkor 40 (still miss that lens) I stumbled upon a second hand M6 with 50 summicron and 90 elamrit. Had to try it and immediately fell in love (very tactile experience holding a M camera). Got crazy, bought a second M6 and accumulated loads of lenses (LTM Canons, Noktons etc), then sold most of them and now am down to 2 M bodies, 1 film and 1 digital and 21/35/50/90 all Leitz glass. I was lucky that I sold most of my second hand purchases at a good profit which helped finance the current line up. With current (second hand) prices I do not think I would be able to repeat my lucky streak.

I was 20 when I bought a pristine used Leica IIIg with collapsible Summicron 50 at Jaydee Camera Exchange in midtown NYC. Paid for it with earnings from three photography jobs I had while in college. It was a beauty and I wish I still had it.

I was, and still is, 16 years old.

Got in a couple of days ago...

It was/is a Leica M4-2

Last edited:
Back