M9 sensor replacement poll....

• My M9/ME still has the original sensor

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • My M9/ME has the replacement sensor

Votes: 78 77.2%

• Total voters
M9 Update

M9 Update

Leica wrote me today saying the M9 sensor is in fact not corroded. The issue is apparently a defective electronic board. I hope they will be able to work with me on the repair cost, given that they had told me the power-on problem was due to my 10 year-old batteries and I purchased new batteries in advance of the CLA they had proposed. Sigh....

Thanks for that update, GD. At least we can exhale now about corroding non-corroding sensors. On the other hand, that's bad news about the board, and the quality of advice they've been giving you since you sent in your camera.

Thanks for that update, GD. At least we can exhale now about corroding non-corroding sensors. On the other hand, that's bad news about the board, and the quality of advice they've been giving you since you sent in your camera.

Do you think Nikon is replacing boards or sensors on D90 cameras? Would anyone care enough to bother if it were even possible?

I don't know, f.hayek. What do you think?
I was only saying what bad luck GD has had.

Not dirceted against you. The D90 or D40 or D50 are of the same vintage. A dead board sensor, shutter. No one remebers nor hold Nikon accountable.Everyone goes nuts on Leica for what happened with the sensor but they were pretty fair about it for several years. Can't expect it forever

Not dirceted against you. The D90 or D40 or D50 are of the same vintage. A dead board sensor, shutter. No one remebers nor hold Nikon accountable.Everyone goes nuts on Leica for what happened with the sensor but they were pretty fair about it for several years. Can't expect it forever

The Nikons are just disposable plastic wonders, not the $6995 "lifelong companion".

As long as Leica builds its reputation on such claims and charges accordingly, people will have a reason to keep their expectation high.

The Nikons are just disposable plastic wonders, not the $6995 "lifelong companion".

As long as Leica builds its reputation on such claims and charges accordingly, people will have a reason to keep their expectation high.

When they reneged on the M8 "lifetime upgrades", that fiction went up in smoke.

I still have the original sensor in my M9. Seems to be working fine. I really never shoot at apertures smaller than f8 anyway...so I'm not looking for trouble at f16. Dust-spotting helps with a dirty sensor. It's still less work than dust-spotting film.

I'm a "big picture" guy (pardon the pun). If I have to start cloning imperfections out, I'll still probably spend less time-per-image in computer editing than many people with perfect sensors who edit the crap out of their images. So it all balances out. I still enjoy shooting the M9 and it's interesting CCD output. The issue I've had that really irks me is when the camera will occasionally lock up when I take multiple images in quick succession, ie four or five images of a scene taking place in front of me. I can fix imperfections, but I can't fix images I didn't capture.

That being said, since Leica digital cameras are de facto objects of desire, logic doesn't always apply, and as much as I really like the idea of the M10 series, I cringe at the thought of spending that kind of money on consumer electronics. The last time I spent that kind of money on a camera, it was a Canon 1DX which is still running really strong and built to last the zombie apocalypse. Digital Leicas aren't in the same league, but again it isn't always a logical issue.

When my M9 quits, I will continue shooting Leica with my M7. BTW it has the new slimmer body and quiet shutter :)

I replaced my m9 sensor last year during COVID wave 1 and was glad to get it all done and back to me by the time they announced they have stopped repairing sensors for the m9 altogether. Not cheap at all but I also took advantage of the fact I had to mail it down to NJ from Canada so I sent in my noctilux f1 as well for CLA and had the front focus fixed and then matched with the m9. It's so sharp now down to the pixel level wide open. At the end of the day IMO it was money well spent assuming all the recent sensors they used are issues free which they should be based on user feedback so far. I do notice a slightly greener color tone on the new sensor compared to the original one.

Bought my M9 in early 2010, and it began exhibiting corrosion signs in about 2016. Had the sensor replaced with the new corrosion free version in 2017 under the free program. The sensor has been going strong ever since, touch wood.

When I eventually upgrade, there will be a plethora of choices available on the new and used market. Prices have gone up to even higher levels than when I bought my M9, which at the time was the same price as a pro Canon or Nikon body, so I'll likely buy used. Or get a new Leica SL2-S, or perhaps even a Nikon Z6 with M-Z adapter.

Bought my M9 in early 2010, and it began exhibiting corrosion signs in about 2016. Had the sensor replaced with the new corrosion free version in 2017 under the free program. The sensor has been going strong ever since, touch wood.

When I eventually upgrade, there will be a plethora of choices available on the new and used market. Prices have gone up to even higher levels than when I bought my M9, which at the time was the same price as a pro Canon or Nikon body, so I'll likely buy used. Or get a new Leica SL2-S, or perhaps even a Nikon Z6 with M-Z adapter.

def the sl2-s over the z6. or maybe m10s will come down in price. Having said that i think as long as you don't abuse the m9 it'll last. I've taken mine on numerous trips to all sorts of climates and it's holding while aging comestically beautifully.

I have a mint MM with corroded sensor. My situation is I take crappy photos anyway so a few spots on my images aren’t going to make or break the outcome.

Going forward, if the MM gives up the ghost, I’m resigned to the fact that I will use my M glass on my A7RIII and live with it.

I performed a test comparing the result of a MM file to a A7RIII converted file and felt the Sony file was good enough for me considering the cost to upgrade the Leica. Yes I lose the rangefinder experience but at my age the help from the EVF outweighs the need for the rangefinder.

Bottom line for me is that the ccd sensor from Leica was special, particularly the MM, but once they went CMOS, the gap in image quality narrowed with other, much cheaper options.

I purchased the MM knowing the sensor was corroded, so still no regrets here.

I have a mint MM with corroded sensor. My situation is I take crappy photos anyway so a few spots on my images aren’t going to make or break the outcome.

Going forward, if the MM gives up the ghost, I’m resigned to the fact that I will use my M glass on my A7RIII and live with it.

I performed a test comparing the result of a MM file to a A7RIII converted file and felt the Sony file was good enough for me considering the cost to upgrade the Leica. Yes I lose the rangefinder experience but at my age the help from the EVF outweighs the need for the rangefinder.

Bottom line for me is that the ccd sensor from Leica was special, particularly the MM, but once they went CMOS, the gap in image quality narrowed with other, much cheaper options.

I purchased the MM knowing the sensor was corroded, so still no regrets here.

i think there are still companies out there offering fix for the sensor - probably with a different glass than leica replacement sensors have. I believe they explained that the sensor didn't need a full replacement but rather the glass on it. A7Riii is nice but i think for certain lens it will have smeared edges/corners. May still be worth repairing your mm sensor/sensor glass.

Mm

Mm

Like I said:
With my skill level, whacked corners with wides is the least of my problems.

There is currently no solution for the MM.
KOLARI- M9/Yes. MM/No
Max Max- M9/Yes. MM/ No

Go to the Leica Forum regarding this- lots of useful info

Like I said:
With my skill level, whacked corners with wides is the least of my problems.

There is currently no solution for the MM.
KOLARI- M9/Yes. MM/No
Max Max- M9/Yes. MM/ No

Go to the Leica Forum regarding this- lots of useful info

ah cool, didnt know the mm couldnt be repaired like the m9. :p

I plan on sending in my M9 for repair, most likely to Maxmax, once it is returned from Leica. This would have been my M9's second sensor replacement. The first sensor just failed after a couple of years, no corrosion. The replacement sensor started to show faults, scan lines, in less than a year. It was my fault in not returning it sooner, as the fault was very sporadic. By the time I got around to sending the camera in for repair, the sensor showed a tremendous amount of corrosion. I feel Leica's replacement allowance is not sufficient. I already paid enough money for this camera, and to pay a few thousand dollars more for a replacement is just not acceptable to me. I have been using Leica for more than 42 years and have invested a lot in Leica glass. I still have my Leica film cameras. For me, it was buy once and never have to buy again. Leica was a lifetime investment.

Back