M9 sensor replacement poll....

M9 sensor replacement poll....

• My M9/ME still has the original sensor

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • My M9/ME has the replacement sensor

Votes: 78 77.2%

• Total voters
There are no more M9 CCD sensors, not for free not for $1600... those who didn't replaced them now have a useless brick. Of course Leica will take them for cheap with their trade-in program in order to keep milking customers with their gear.

Leica bought such sensors from some company, and it is reasonable that since it has been along time since the M9 stopped being made that no new sensors are available. There are new cameras available, with new sensors that are available for now.

I got my M9 sensor replaced with the new type, but I went ahead and I bought an M10, expecting the M9 may die one day.

and it is reasonable that since it has been along time since the M9 stopped being made that no new sensors are available
My Leica M-E was less than 5 years old when the sensor failed. In comparison, my Epson R-D1, which is 16 years old, works fine. Cheers, OtL

Sent my M9 in September for CLA and was told sensor had developed corrosion ( believe corrosion could be started but somehow not noticeable in the pictures produced by my M9 ).

May I know would putting IR filter on lenses after taking out the cover glass from sensor allow my M9 to be in normal image making machine again? If yes, which company offer service of removing cover glass from M9's sensor?

Thanks for advice / comment.

There are no more M9 CCD sensors, not for free not for $1600... those who didn't replaced them now have a useless brick. Of course Leica will take them for cheap with their trade-in program in order to keep milking customers with their gear.

That’s not really fair. This is a camera designed in 2005-2008, whose sensor was being replaced for free and for years. Now over a decade after manufactury began, the sensors are no longer being made. From the poll results, most had it checked and replaced. I seriously doubt any company in most other industries out there would have done the same.

There are now aftermarket options to rehabilitate the sensor so all is not lost.

It has been a 10+ years since I had a look around at the Leica world and rff. I was happy with my MP film but now I am ready to make the jump into the Leica M digital world. So many opinions and I remain tentatively searching the used market. I think it's down to the M9 (with proof of sensor replaced) or the M (typ 242). Without asking the "which is better" question I wanted to ask: Does the M9 have a history of successive failures of the sensor? Or has it been one replacement and good to go?

Thank you!

It has been a 10+ years since I had a look around at the Leica world and rff. I was happy with my MP film but now I am ready to make the jump into the Leica M digital world. So many opinions and I remain tentatively searching the used market. I think it's down to the M9 (with proof of sensor replaced) or the M (typ 242). Without asking the "which is better" question I wanted to ask: Does the M9 have a history of successive failures of the sensor? Or has it been one replacement and good to go?

“Replaced”, unfortunately, can mean two things - either the sensor got replaced with another corrosion-prone one (which Leica were doing as an interim measure until they had the problem sorted out) or replaced with the non-corroding type. You can tell from the camera which is which (a google search should give you instructions) but I wouldn’t buy an M9 unless I could check that the sensor is the updated type and see the Leica work note confirming replacement for the camera’s serial number.

I really like the colour reproduction in the M9, but the 240 series cameras are more usable. But the M10 is much more usable again, and if you can at all afford one, is what I would get.

Marty

“Replaced”, unfortunately, can mean two things - either the sensor got replaced with another corrosion-prone one (which Leica were doing as an interim measure until they had the problem sorted out) or replaced with the non-corroding type. You can tell from the camera which is which (a google search should give you instructions) but I wouldn’t buy an M9 unless I could check that the sensor is the updated type and see the Leica work note confirming replacement for the camera’s serial number.

I really like the colour reproduction in the M9, but the 240 series cameras are more usable. But the M10 is much more usable again, and if you can at all afford one, is what I would get.

Marty

Thanks for the info Marty, very helpful. I can't reach for the M10 so it's one of the other two or I may just have to be content with my Epson RD-1 for anything in the digital.

Thanks for the info Marty, very helpful. I can't reach for the M10 so it's one of the other two or I may just have to be content with my Epson RD-1 for anything in the digital.

I should add a third option to the conditions under which I would buy an M9 - if the price was very cheap. I just did this. There are several for sale on Fred Miranda inexpensively, which could leave budget for a sensor cover replacement.

But if you want an M9 just make sure you get one with documents or a return option, or the 242. They are good cameras. I like the Epson too - it also has lovely colour rendition. 6mp and a DX Sensor seemed fine in 2004, and if the photos looked good then they will look good now.

Good luck.

Marty

I had my corroded M9 sensor replaced in 2017 as part of Leica's free program.

Recently the camera died. I sent it to Leica NJ. They said there was nothing wrong with the camera, it just needed new batteries (mine are 10 years old) and I agreed to pay $265 for a CLA. A month went by. Today I received a new estimate saying that the 2017 sensor is corroded, asking for over $1,500 for the repair.

Until my M9 died, none of my pictures showed any evidence of sensor corrosion.

I called, and also wrote Leica, saying that if the sensor is in fact corroded, then the damage occurred at Leica. They agreed to have another technician look at the camera and will get back to me.

I hope it's an honest mistake on Leica's part. I cannot afford to upgrade.

Wow that's horrifying if the new rust-free sensors are not in fact anything of the kind, and moreover, that Leica is not warranting their sensor repairs from 3 years ago. I hope they made a mistake in their diagnosis of your camera, or all of us M9 owners are in big trouble.

Pete, both my M9 and M9M sensors have been replaced by Leica's warranty program. If indeed the new "corrosion-free" sensors are defective and not covered by Leica, then it;s really bad news.

I had my corroded M9 sensor replaced in 2017 as part of Leica's free program.

Recently the camera died. I sent it to Leica NJ. They said there was nothing wrong with the camera, it just needed new batteries (mine are 10 years old) and I agreed to pay $265 for a CLA. A month went by. Today I received a new estimate saying that the 2017 sensor is corroded, asking for over $1,500 for the repair.

Until my M9 died, none of my pictures showed any evidence of sensor corrosion.

I called, and also wrote Leica, saying that if the sensor is in fact corroded, then the damage occurred at Leica. They agreed to have another technician look at the camera and will get back to me.

I hope it's an honest mistake on Leica's part. I cannot afford to upgrade.

I hope that Leica made an error somehow here. Corrosion-free sensors should not corrode. If they do, they were never corrosion-free. Leica should resolve such issues.

Ok so you've scared me off an M9 unless it's super cheap! Now I have to wait for the M10 to get older or jump for M typ240.

Ok so you've scared me off an M9 unless it's super cheap! Now I have to wait for the M10 to get older or jump for M typ240.

What are you looking to spend? The M10 has plateaued at $5-5.2k. M240 is indeed lovely but corpulent. I skipped over it. For me, it just didn’t feel right in hand. Matter of taste. You might not mind it.

I did not like the feel of the M240, but it was otherwise flawless. Does its sensor corrode? I got an M10.

Leica told me that my 2017 sensor repair was only warrantied for 1 year. If Leica has not made a mistake, and the 2017 sensor is indeed corroded, and they refuse to replace it for free, I may have to give up on the M9 and digital Leicas. Buying a upgraded model is out of reach for me now.

I hope that Leica made an error somehow here. Corrosion-free sensors should not corrode. If they do, they were never corrosion-free. Leica should resolve such issues.

Back