Moleskine Notebooks

dave lackey

Mentor
Local time
9:33 AM
Okay, I am thinking about writing down my exposures but it is a real pain. Maybe a moleskine will make it easier.:bang:

Anyone here do the documentation and do you use a moleskine pocket notebook?

Yes, I have used one in the past; I found it useful for reviewing my decisions in the light of my results.

i use one all the time. usually write down when i loaded the roll, what type of film it is and also the roll #, then write all that info on the envelope that the negatives come developed in, for cataloging reasons.

also write in brief about what i've taken pictures of and some special settings if i taken something that my leica can't meter (long exposure) or any other interesting facts. 1 page per roll.

Roll # / film type / development
camera / lens / filter
place, subject

Every roll gets noted as above as it comes out of the camera. I've just started using the music one to fill the pages more- I tend to scrawl across the blank pages and end up with only 3 rolls per page.

I use a moleskin notebook all the time. But rarely to record exposures.
I just love those little books.

After the 'useful things' thread in Roger Hicks' forum I got a tiny Moleskine Volant for taking notes. I think it's the extra small size, which is great for your pocket. Unlike the standard Moleskines it is quite flexible so it doesn't bother me to sit on it all day. The pages are removable but they are perforated in such a way that they won't come out unless you want them to. Another nice thing is that these tiny notebooks are good value - only a few quid (or $$$ I suppose) for a pack of two.

Matthew

The nice thing about those little moleskine notebooks is that they are so expensive you never lose them.

Okay, Picked up a ruled moleskine notebook yesterday. Started my first roll documentation using the last negs from my Tri-X shot with the S3 2000. Nothing fancy, just a pencilled-in journal of frame/description/aperture/shutter speed. Will pick up my last roll from Charleston tomorrow and enter that data as well.

This is going to be fun and will help me as I work through a protocol, however, where does one keep a pencil? Wish the notebook had a small pocket for a writing instrument.

I always find the moleskine (standard) paper too thin for fountain pens, Muji sell little passport sized/coloured notebooks with nice paper (which holds the ink from fountain pens well) for 99p.

I use a moleskine clone bought at a local bookstore. From one side I write professional/work-related notes, from another, personal (mostly photography related) stuff.

I use to write travel notes and other things, never like to carry a laptop. But Moleskine is just to expensive for such purpose, a good binding clone will do just fine for me.

I use one for school, but what you guys are doing sounds great, I might have to get one for in my camera bag to write down exposures :) Thanks

I got these pages free in a photo magazine many years ago and now down to the last few. They fit into a slim Twinlock wallet. Gonna have to either copy these to make more or switch to the Moleskin option like you guys.

Attachments

• viv1.jpg
    viv1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 4
  • viv2.jpg
    viv2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4
  • viv3.jpg
    viv3.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 4
I began using a Moleskine notebook one year ago. It's a relatively large one (5 1/4" x 8 1/4", or 13 cm x 21 cm). I use it for everything-- work, personal, photography, ebay purchases, phone numbers, email addresses, etc. The good thing is that I know that's where all my notes are. One of the bad things is that it sometimes requires multiple serial searches to find what I'm looking for.

I'm a little disappointed in quality, however. I've used about three fourths of it within the last year, and the cover has cracked along the crease of the spine. I expected it to be more durable. I may return to my previous favorite-- ruled composition notebooks. The taped spine seems to hold up better.

Moleskines are great notebooks. Typically use the small Field Reporter. Just took my last two notebooks, sliced off the binding and ran 'em through the scanner...

The field notebooks are nice as well. Similar to the small soft-covered Moleskines. Here's a link:
http://www.fieldnotesbrand.com

There are other options in the "Pocket PDA" arena (yes, Paper PDA's! Talk about Analog Technology - the index card is making a comeback!!). An example is the Pocket Mod (from the world of GTD, or Getting Things Done). http://www.pocketmod.com/
This work was picked up again more recently, with the RE Pocket Mod:
http://repocketmod.com/
There might be some options to make a template for your purposes, then fold the 8 1/2 x 11 printed pages into small pocket mods for recording exposures...

Back