Moleskine Notebooks

I find this all a bit interesting. I don't think I've ever held a Moleskine notebook, and not sure I'd know one if I saw it.

However, I put cute little Rite-In-The-Rain notebooks in every camera bag (or case) I own. Small (~3x5") and bright yellow. The small size can be a problem sometimes when trying to write in odd locations, but not a problem when I need them to tuck away and stay out of the way. The paper is treated to not be affected by water -- makes it kind of stiff in a mildly waxy way. Not unpleasant.
They were pretty cheap. Came in 3-packs at my university bookstore.

Rhodia in A4 I have used and like, this has set me off on reviewing the reviews and I am tempted, by reputation, to try GLP Creations The Author Notebook with Tomoe River Paper 68g but is about the cost of a bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi ie not inconsiderable but then the best rarely is, Should when I succumb I will come back here.

The results are in: The GLP has mixed reviews on the binding quality, my example seems robust and well put together but time will tell. As to inks I have tried four of my blacks and all show next to no feathering certainly streets ahead of Moleskine, equal to Rhodia. Bleed through could be better though certainly again well ahead of Moleskine and you could, at a pinch, get away with writing on the reverse but it wouldn't be by choice, nothing like the Rhodia but again that is an 80g paper this is 68g but has a lovely "feel".
What is nice is the lining, I don't do dots, which is not obtrusive and I also really like that pages are numbered (192) with a contents/index at the front.

Worth all the money, I wouldn't say so but better than many out there in quality. I will certainly use it. BTW the Moleskine used to test is an "old" one and not the current available quality which it really isn't worth comparing with.

Inks were Diamine Jet Black, Waterman Black, Aurora Black, Take-Sumi Black, with Pelican Souvaran 600 OM nib.

As an aside I would absolutely agree with reviews of the Take-Sumi from Pilot, running samples, as noted above consecutively, which you don't usually do the writing physical experience was head and shoulders above the others, so smooth to write with, I was sceptical but goodness me the difference is palpable, there I would say the money is well spent.

Rhodia paper. Moleskine is quite a marketer…. You need a good, but inexpensive field pen to go with it; I highly recommend the Jinhao shark fountain pen, about $1 each on ebay ($12/set). (They’re a great little gift for those who are kind, too.). The nibs aren’t bad at all. Great for using with different inks.

1709904384986.jpeg

Back