Moleskine Notebooks

There are two Moleys in my camera bag of different sizes. The larger O's for observations and for lessons learned. The other is camera-specific and is labeled. So, depending upon what's in my bag, the associated pocket-sized Moley is along.

I love em.

Wow, I first responded to this thread eight years ago!

I no longer use Moleskines, or any other paper notebooks.

As many of you know, I suffered a small stroke three years ago that left the right side of my body weakened. I have difficulty writing with a pen or pencil since I am right handed, and my right hand doesn't have the fine motor skills needed to manipulate a pen anymore.

I can still type fairly well on my computer, so now I'm using a software app called Evernote, which is journaling or note-taking software. It works great, and lets me read and update my notes on my computer or my tablet. Adding, deleting, or changing a note on one device automatically syncs to the others. The really cool thing is that I can put the photos I took in each note so I can see the actual images I am writing about!

I keep notes of the dates, locations, and equipment used. When I shoot film, I put that info in, as well.

Hello all, I've created a notebook that I designed specifically for film photographers. I used fairly sturdy paper since it's meant to be in the field and small enough to be carried in pockets and bags. You can check them out here: http://shootfilmco.com/collections/frontpage/products/photomemo-photographers-memo-book-2-pack

These are great!! I bought a couple. You should put them in the classifieds, more people will see them there. I tweeted about them to some of my pen-and-notebook internet contacts. You should definitely send some of these to Ed Jelley—he's the consummate notebook and camera guy, and perhaps he'll review them.

I'm not a fan of the Moleskines; the paper is a little rough for my use (often, fountain pens). I'm fond of the Rhodia books and also Field Notes.

Someone here on RFF was selling them, so I bought a couple of Moleskins. I find that fountain pen ink goes right through the page, and prints through so that you can't write on the back side of the page.

What has been most useful for me has been the ruled notepads that Staples sells. They are very cheap, and the paper takes ink well. No cover, but I don't need it since it's usually in a briefcase.

am having trouble using Moleskine and other classy looking notebooks. for one, they look too pristine for me to mess them up. second, I would not know whats "worthy" for me to jot down into those clean pages waiting for next Picasso or HCB. third, my perseverance usually lasts keeping notes for two or three pages and then I run out of steam. and fourth, writing in hand is quite laborious these days :eek:

sad to say but non-romantic digital just works better for my note keeping.

These are great!! I bought a couple. You should put them in the classifieds, more people will see them there. I tweeted about them to some of my pen-and-notebook internet contacts. You should definitely send some of these to Ed Jelley—he's the consummate notebook and camera guy, and perhaps he'll review them.

I'm not a fan of the Moleskines; the paper is a little rough for my use (often, fountain pens). I'm fond of the Rhodia books and also Field Notes.

Thanks! I will check him out. Please let me know what you think of the notebooks when you get them!

I use 3.5 by 5.5 inch plastic covered notebooks from Dollar Tree-not as good as a Moleskin, and I have to glue the spine with silicone caulk and clamp it for a while but for the price they are okay. I've since found a flea market vendor that has similar notebooks with a sewn binding (lasts longer) for a buck. They have imprinting on the cover,but for $1 I'll deal with it.

For exposure notes, I carry a 5 by 7 plastic covered notebook from Dollar Tree in each camera bag.

Moleskine. Overpriced, over hyped and under par; cheap paper in a fashionable jacket; Designed in Italy, 'inspired' by the notebooks Bruce Chatwin used, but you cannot use a fountain pen on the damn things. Mass produced in China and Turkey. About as authentic as a Beetle made to look like a Bugatti.
Had to get that of my chest.

Moleskine. Overpriced, over hyped and under par; cheap paper in a fashionable jacket; Designed in Italy, 'inspired' by the notebooks Bruce Chatwin used, but you cannot use a fountain pen on the damn things. Mass produced in China and Turkey. About as authentic as a Beetle made to look like a Bugatti.
Had to get that of my chest.

When the Moleskine notebooks were first introduced, they were actually made in Italy and were better quality than they are now. They were worth the money back then, but the manufacturer got greedy and shipped production to slave sweatshops in China, as so many companies do these days.

Moleskine user here, everyday, every year, forever! (Because designer lol)🙋🏻

I use the yearly organisers because I like their layout which I can't seem to find in other yearly notebooks. Yes, they are "overpriced", I've seen emerging alternates out there.

But just get something you're likely to keep? I've bought other notebooks before but never liked the paper/too thick/too thin etc.

Hello all, I've created a notebook that I designed specifically for film photographers. I used fairly sturdy paper since it's meant to be in the field and small enough to be carried in pockets and bags. You can check them out here: http://shootfilmco.com/collections/frontpage/products/photomemo-photographers-memo-book-2-pack

I took a look at these, and they look pretty nice for a film photographer to use to record exposure data, developing method, scanning presets, etc.
Plus, paper seems, er, on paper at least, like higher quality than some of the more expensive notebooks being talked about out here, especiaally for using fountain pens. Maybe. If you are going to do that. I know I am sporadic about it, but it helps my photograaphy when I am good about keeping notes.

Main thing, for me at any rate, is this is being produced by a photographer, for photographers, so maybe a bit of "let's support our own" enters into it, for me. I don't think moleskine cares about us so much, plus the cover on those is a lot nicer than the paper.

Field Notes brand pocket notebooks. A different set every quarter. Outstanding craftsmanship. Their slogan: I'm not writing it down to remember it later, I'm writing it down to remember it now.

-~Joe

When the Moleskine notebooks were first introduced, they were actually made in Italy and were better quality than they are now. They were worth the money back then, but the manufacturer got greedy and shipped production to slave sweatshops in China, as so many companies do these days.

Yes, I try to get things from places where I have some idea that the workers are well paid and treated properly. So with bags I tend to stick to Billingham and Domke, in clothes shops I look out for the made in labels and so on. A lot of it is not so much that the workers are paid a low wage in many cases its relative to where they are but a lot of the factory conditions are dangerous for them and they are forced to work long hours frequently with no OT. I have heard of some garment factories where they wont even allow toilet breaks. Hope this is not too off topic apologies if it is.

Sometimes Moleskine, sometimes other brands (Fabriano, Canson because I like to sketch as well) here, I'm not very loyal to a specific brand.

But I'm not able to take technical notes (aperture, shutter speed act) when photographing. I simply do not manage it. I need to keep myself connected to the subject, situation, environment I am in and the emotions this produce on myself.

If I stop to take a note I loose this connection and the photography action get damaged.
I guess it's only my own limitation.

What I do oft after the shooting, back home or in a hotel when traveling I take note of the emotion of that particular day, or moment. When I manage I add a quick sketch about it (but I'm not very good in doing it). Because mostly I shoot film when later I'll have the photos in my hands I like to compare the pictures and the notes.

Just my to cents.

robert

Back