Moleskine Notebooks

Wow, I first responded to this thread eight years ago!

I no longer use Moleskines, or any other paper notebooks.

As many of you know, I suffered a small stroke three years ago that left the right side of my body weakened. I have difficulty writing with a pen or pencil since I am right handed, and my right hand doesn't have the fine motor skills needed to manipulate a pen anymore.

I can still type fairly well on my computer, so now I'm using a software app called Evernote, which is journaling or note-taking software. It works great, and lets me read and update my notes on my computer or my tablet. Adding, deleting, or changing a note on one device automatically syncs to the others. The really cool thing is that I can put the photos I took in each note so I can see the actual images I am writing about!

I keep notes of the dates, locations, and equipment used. When I shoot film, I put that info in, as well.

Resurrected thread indeed. I have been using Evernote since the beginning of this year and it's been fantastic for my workflow. Anything on my phone, iPad or computer gets synched and I've been sending a lot of things I find on the web to an "unsorted" notebook, that I can go over, revisit and sort when I have the time. For me it's been much better than making bookmarks on the web all of the time.

As for taking notes on the go, I used to keep a moleskine softcover pocket notebook in my back pocket with one of those zebra half pens while I was teaching in Honduras for 2 years. It helped me keep track of all sorts of things. I didn't have a smartphone while I was down there. Now in the USA, and for future trips abroad, I have a smartphone to handle most of the note taking. I haven't used much voice notes yet, but it seems like a fantastic and easy option.

As was just mentioned a few posts back, while I'm out shooting, I can't imagine I'd take the time to write down every single exposure from every single shot. It would be too distracting and to confining for me, especially when I'm out shooting on the street or with friends. Just too many steps.

Having said that, I have been journaling in a Molelskine notebook for the past 15 years, have gone to a few different brands over time, but always come back to the Moleskine for its simplicity and durability. Perhaps their quality has decreased over the years, but in the end it's two hard covers and some pages in between. It serves its purpose.

These little darlings look quite useful and compact--and the price is pretty hard to beat.

ADDENDUM: Oh, wow, didn't realise I wasn't responding to the latest reply in this thread--caffeine hasn't kicked in yet. I see these were indeed mentioned earlier, including by their designer. They do look really nice, and I think I'll grab a pair to carry in my Hasselblad field kit.

These little darlings look quite useful and compact--and the price is pretty hard to beat.

ADDENDUM: Oh, wow, didn't realise I wasn't responding to the latest reply in this thread--caffeine hasn't kicked in yet. I see these were indeed mentioned earlier, including by their designer. They do look really nice, and I think I'll grab a pair to carry in my Hasselblad field kit.

I thought you were joking when you posted that link! Yeah, the designer had posted earlier in the thread. Curious to know how they are. Keep us posted on your findings.

The last few years I have found this to be a nice solution for note taking and it fits in my small Leica bag and Domke 5XB bags without taking up much space.😀

These limited editions are quite interesting as well.

Just bought The Notebook: A History of Thinking on Paper. Roland Allen. It begins with the declining availability of Moleskine notebooks, decried by Bruce Chatwin in Songlines. This led to the revival of the concept and the profusion of these things in different formats.

I prefer for small jobs the smaller and slimmer and simpler red Moleskine notebook with no elastic band. Use them for all sorts of things, but have only thought about it for photography and not gone ahead.

Just bought The Notebook: A History of Thinking on Paper. Roland Allen. It begins with the declining availability of Moleskine notebooks, decried by Bruce Chatwin in Songlines. This led to the revival of the concept and the profusion of these things in different formats.

I prefer for small jobs the smaller and slimmer and simpler red Moleskine notebook with no elastic band. Use them for all sorts of things, but have only thought about it for photography and not gone ahead.

I find writing things down during the taking process distracting. So, I use a voice recorder to capture what I want, and later transcribe it into a standard spreadsheet template that not only has room for the exposure and location info, but also all the pertinent information about development, filters, and other notes. These spreadsheets get printed and stored with the negative sleeves. It's remarkably useful to be able to review all that information while printing.

Long ago, I did this using pocket micro-cassette recorders. These days, I just use an app on the phone for that purpose - one less thing to haul around.

I hasten to add that in addition to addictions to large format, Hasselblad, Nikon, and Leica, I am also addicted to writing with fine fountain pens on nice paper. So it's not a lack of interest in the (literally) written word on my part.

I use the same notebooks as Hopscotch: Moleskine Cahier pocket. Always for large format, rarely for 35 or MF. I do however, break out a new one for each long trip....notes, contacts, passport #, reservations, general exposure information for each marked roll to help tweak development times, location details.

Last edited:
I used to use regular 3x5 memo books, but they are too flexible, and the paper stock is very thin. So, I switched to an index card style which gives me a larger and better surface to write on.

PF

Early on I used Moleskine for my general note taking, but I shifted to Field Notes for their better paper. I like the larger memo book size ones, I used to get the Signature series with plain paper, but they're not in production now. I've stockpiled them.

I used to use regular 3x5 memo books, but they are too flexible, and the paper stock is very thin. So, I switched to an index card style which gives me a larger and better surface to write on.

PF
You may be aware of the Hipster PDA, a concept developed by someone into David Allen's Getting Things Done organization method in the early/mid 2000s. The concept is really simple - instead of using a notebook, have a small stack of 3x5 index cards held together with a binder clip. This allows you to organize the cards however you want, and store them in binders or boxes. It has fallen out of fashion because smartphones took over note taking duties for most people, but if you like using 3x5 index cards, this could be for you.

As a general aside, I have a few Moleskine notebooks of different sizes. My wallet has a softcover mini cahier that I use for quick scribbles, and I use a larger cahier and a Leuchtturm A5 notebook in a notebook cover for fun. I have a pocket Leuchtturm with elastic strap for doodling with fineliners, and a pocket Moleskine for pencil drawing. Leuchtturm paper is better quality than Moleskine at the moment, as is Rhodia's paper.

It would be interesting if you could share your findings with those of us who persist in accumulating inky fingers, ink in a Moleskine is a fast way of filling one, it takes about three pages for each one actually written on.

I use Rhodia, Black n Red, and Oxford notebooks with fountain pens. Moleskine are no longer very good as a few have mentioned. Feathering and bleed-through just too much.

I use Rhodia, Black n Red, and Oxford notebooks with fountain pens. Moleskine are no longer very good as a few have mentioned. Feathering and bleed-through just too much.
Yes, thanks, I have tried those and they are better, although the Oxford I would class as less worse, just thought there may be others on your radar, I am currently fond of LEUCHTTURM1917 Notebook Classic.
Better of course to select a less "wet" pen as well 😁

Yes, thanks, I have tried those and they are better, although the Oxford I would class as less worse, just thought there may be others on your radar, I am currently fond of LEUCHTTURM1917 Notebook Classic.
Better of course to select a less "wet" pen as well 😁
Leuchtturm is my go to notebook for writing/drawing in colour because of its relative bleed resistance. I used to use fountain pens, but the wet ink drove me nuts after a while. Rhodia notebooks have good bleed resistance, too.

Leuchtturm is my go to notebook for writing/drawing in colour because of its relative bleed resistance. I used to use fountain pens, but the wet ink drove me nuts after a while. Rhodia notebooks have good bleed resistance, too.
Rhodia in A4 I have used and like, this has set me off on reviewing the reviews and I am tempted, by reputation, to try GLP Creations The Author Notebook with Tomoe River Paper 68g but is about the cost of a bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi ie not inconsiderable but then the best rarely is, Should when I succumb I will come back here.

Moleskine. Overpriced, over hyped and under par; cheap paper in a fashionable jacket; Designed in Italy, 'inspired' by the notebooks Bruce Chatwin used, but you cannot use a fountain pen on the damn things. Mass produced in China and Turkey. About as authentic as a Beetle made to look like a Bugatti.
Had to get that of my chest.
Lukitas posted this in 2016, and since then moleskin prices have increased to even more dizzying levels. I buy my notebooks in a dusty store in Saigon's Chinatown for $0.45 a piece. Cheers, OtL

Back