Moleskine Notebooks

I like moleskines. I started keeping a record of apertures and times in it, but I couldn't stick with it (more than a day). This thread reminds me, I should try it again though. I like writing down which lenses I used so I can compare them.

I carry a small notebook in my pocket all the time for recording all sorts of notes, including information about photos and exposures. I like the really small (3x5 inches, or thereabouts) thin Moleskine notebooks that come three to a pack. They are just the right size to slip into your back pocket- but I have also started making my own notebooks of similar size by stapling together paper and a cover of some sort. (I'm cheap, and I also like to do stuff for myself.) A notebook and pencil are the first things I grab to carry with me all the time, even before a camera.

I tried doing this, but I found it got in the way when I was shooting. I'd forget to fill the info out, loose track of things, etc. I should get back to doing this if only to keep track of lenses i'm shooting with on a particular roll.

If I were to record every shot, conditions, aperture/time etc, I would find it a pain to write it and maybe try a micro tape recorder.

I always fail to live up to my good intentions re: making notes while shooting. Seems that's the one more thing that puts my brain over the top.
I'm about to delve in to large format, so I'm considering a digital recorder as an easier alternative to written notes.

I tried doing this, but I found it got in the way when I was shooting.

This is exactly why I don't keep records, and one of the reasons I like to use digital often. I would pay extra money for film if they could put a little magnetic strip, or special frame-edge exposure-mask, or SOMETHING, SOME way to record the f-stop, shutter speed, etc. per frame. I'd imagine with medium format, you'd even have room for GPS data.

I know APX/Advantix was on this track before digital happened to the photography world; APX negs are too small for the quality, of course, but they had the right idea when it came to metadata.

Oh God, imagine large format. If you could swing a preview sensor, you could put a digital jpg preview or something in a magnetic track along the edge of the 4x5 frame.

I just don't get it. Separating analogue from digital is SO 20th century. I thought we have the technology now to combine at will. (E.g. you can now buy digital music mixing stations that run their signals through vacuum tubes).

I carry a standard size one in my camera bag to write down locations i discover when driving about, and I take notes when i photograph. Not exposure notes..to tedious and not very useful anyway. I write the date and time, film used and EI and if it will be developed normal or N-1. I write the place and subject and camera used. Each day i photograph gets a page unless I did so much work that day that it runs over to more pages.

When I develop film, I have another Moleskine that I write roll number, subject, date pics were taken, developer, film, EI, contrast (eg. normal, N-1), Dev. time and dilution. That way I can go back and see how I developed a film if I made a mistake, or if i really liked something.

I have a text file on my computer where I track film in my cameras, film that is waiting to be developed, and film that is developed. This is much easier to maintain then per shot information while shooting. A voice recorder might work, but again, it seems a bit excessive. Does knowing if a photograph was at f/11 vs. f/8 change anything? Probably not.

I have a text file on my computer where I track film in my cameras, film that is waiting to be developed, and film that is developed. This is much easier to maintain then per shot information while shooting. A voice recorder might work, but again, it seems a bit excessive. Does knowing if a photograph was at f/11 vs. f/8 change anything? Probably not.

I'm thinking of this more in line with shooting large format.
It's helpful to remember what kind of film is in what film holder along with a few other facts.

I think it makes more sense with Large Format, since the whole process is much slower. I would imagine you'd be more interested how a particular shot was put together since it costs so much to produce and there are more elements at work than when you deal with 35mm.

For those that might enjoy making their own moleskinne notebooks, try the hedgehogsforever group on Yahoo. Lots of info on making these, including hacks.

I am still have four of the original moleskinne notebooks, two ruled, two sketch and I was disappointed by the quality of paper in both. The notebooks are awful to write in with most fountain pens/inks and the sketch books paper is terrible for watercolor washes, which is why I sought out info on how to make my own.

Personally, I recommend Cranes Crest paper for notebooks, especially for fountain pens, run it through an inkjet for grids or rules, and Arches 300lb cold or hot press for sketch books.

I also want to try some National Geographic type 'adventure paper' at some point; it looks like a good choice for outdoor environments with a good, oiled leather binding.

Eli

Borders stores in the USA sell a notebook called the Picadilly which is nearly identical in every way to Moleskines at 1/4 the price. These go for $5 and Moleskines sell for $18 here. I bought one recently and saw no quality difference. I'll likely stick with them. They're unfortunately made in China, but Moleskines are now too.

I like the little 3 to a pack Moleskine "Cathiers" in the graphic ruled format. Not too expensive not too big and thick.

I never take notes when I shoot because I can't imagine them being useful but I do make notes of all sorts of other things.

Piccadilly, anyone?

Piccadilly, anyone?

I used to carry a small Moleskine notebook, but usually just to record thoughts that might be related to photography, and sometimes indirectly related (inspirations, etc.).

I also have the thinner 3-pack ones that Drew mentioned. Those are actually VERY convenient, and still my favorite.

But has anyone here heard of Piccadilly notebooks? I picked one up a couple months ago, and I honestly can't tell a difference between these and Moleskines...except the price.

http://www.piccadillyinc.com/products_notebooks.php

Edit: Oh geesh, I started this post just before I left the house, and didn't finish it. Now I see Christopher beat me to it! :eek:

Last edited:
I used to carry a small Moleskine notebook, but usually just to record thoughts that might be related to photography, and sometimes indirectly related (inspirations, etc.).

I also have the thinner 3-pack ones that Drew mentioned. Those are actually VERY convenient, and still my favorite.

But has anyone here heard of Piccadilly notebooks? I picked one up a couple months ago, and I honestly can't tell a difference between these and Moleskines...except the price.

http://www.piccadillyinc.com/products_notebooks.php

Edit: Oh geesh, I started this post just before I left the house, and didn't finish it. Now I see Christopher beat me to it! :eek:

hehe! I wish someone had clued me in a long time ago. Moleskines are disgustingly overpriced, but I bought several when I lived in Santa Fe because I liked them and I had enough money back then. I have bought a couple of the Picadillies since I came back to Indiana, where I discovered them for sale one day.

i remember exposure information if it's important. For other notes, I use a notebook, small spiral bound, fits in pocket, costs one dollar each. Only disadvantage is if it's raining and/ or if it gets very hot (gets saturated with sweat- best to use ballpoint pen). I work with a writer a lot, in that case SHE takes the notes!!!

Update...

Well, I picked up a moleskine back in the Spring and started recording exposure information and photo description with my s3 2000...then, I switched to the F3 and did the same...

Now, using the M3...I am doing the same thing and I am finding that it really does help me. I am constantly revisiting the logged information and ferreting out information that works and the information that did not work. Also, the description of each image will forever explain where that image was taken and who (if anyone) was in it, the date, location, etc. Great for the grandkids to look through after I have gone to Leica land in the sky...

Actually, I have begun to look forward to spending time with my little book. BTW, Barnes and Noble has a complete supply of them. I bought mine at Sam Flax. Cost is not bad when it takes two pages per roll of film, so it is lasting quite a long time.

Okay, back to my moleskine!:angel:

Last edited:
I carry a sheet of standard 8.5 x 11 inch typewriter paper, folded in half and then in thirds. It fits in my shirt pocket but about all l ever use it for is names and phone numbers. I do like to carry an Ultra Fine Point Sharpie in addition to a ball point pen because it'll write on anything. Sometimes I wind about a foot of masking tape around one of them. It's handy if you want to make notes on a camera body, then you move the
piece of tape to the cassette.

I never understood the reason for making detailed notes about exposure but I know some people feel that they gotta do it.

Every now and then I buy myself a small notebook (trendy or otherwise) but ususally wind up like Al with a piece of folded A4 paper in my pocket while the notebook sits at home in the drawer with the other ones I've bought that never get used.

I never record information when I'm taking pics but will record information on scanner settings and developing routines. I guess if you've just lugged a tripod and field camera ten kilometeres to your favourite location for the ultimate late afternoon landscape there's a point in recording your exact exposure data and metering procedures. I can't see the point for other shooting though!

I'm also not about to give anyone eighteen dollars for a notebook! :rolleyes:

Back