Pecker -- THE RF Movie

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
3:43 PM
As strange as the title is, if there is a better movie on rangefinders and the rangefinder way of photography, I have yet to see it. The hero is a young teenage photographer with a passion for B/W with his Canonet 28 rangefinder. You can rent or better yet, buy the DVD.

see http://www.cameraquest.com/pecker.htm

unfortunately I am not selling the DVD...

Stephen Gandy

I'll but the DVD if you'll throw in a 75mm external finder :D

Todd

that was on (I think) FX last weekend. I got to see it, and it wasn't that bad. I would share my opinions on "art snobs," but I don't want to offend anyone :) .

Did I mention I was looking at cameraquest.com when it came on?

Bob

My wife actually bought this movie a while ago. It is entertaining and fun to watch from the perspective of a camera freak. More and more I am getting to a point where I am taking pictures at all times.

That's a fun movie-I should watch it again. I'm something of a John Waters fan anyway.

Hey thats not the movie I saw called "Pecker " from the 70's

Pecker is a fun movie with some great scenes. Blow-Up is a good one, too.

:)

more movies:

the bridges of madison county
the wooden camera
the killing fields
the year of living dangerously
salvador
rear window
roman holiday
city of god

bmattock said:
One-Hour Photo.

Man.. ya know.. Robin Williams has only 2 types of personalities for films - the "really really insanely crazy always on speed funny guy" and the "seriously creepy loner".

I thought One-Hour Photo was decent and I like Robin Williams' portrayal of me..er... I mean.. of that creepy psycho. :D

As for Pecker, I've never seen the film but I'm aware it's staring Edward "Terminator" Furlong and is by John Waters so it can't be "all bad". I guess the only thing it was missing was Divine :D

Dave

I must be the only one who didn't like Pecker.. the jokes and dialog all seemed to be geared toward young teens.. maybe it was just me.. admittedly, I only got halfway through it before I tired of it

and how about keislowski's camera man or camera buff-
pecker should be shown in all beginning photo classes on the first day of class.

Amazon lists these:

Under Fire (1983)
The Year of Living Dangerously (1983)
Salvador
Blow - Up (1966)
Pecker (1998)
Photographing Fairies (1997)
Eyes of Laura Mars
Mad Dog and Glory (2000)
Road to Perdition (Widescreen)
The Bridges of Madison County (1995)
The Photographer (2000)
High Art

The only ones of these I've seen are "Road to Perdition" and "Pecker" and "The Year of Living Dangerously." I don't recall much of Road or Year, frankly.

I have had people try to get me to watch "Bridges" for a long time - they finally gave up. I refuse to watch it. I'm not going to pay to see someone portrayed as cheating on their spouses and claiming it is 'romance'. Been there, it's not nice and it's not romantic. It hurts people and destroys families. RRR. Don't get me started.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

High Art is excellent. Patricia Clarkson is classic as the aging junkie Fassbinder starlet.

I wasn't sold on Pecker when I rented it a few years back. I know Waters style is a bit loose, but the direction was terrible (people talking past each other, bad acting) and the jokes even more juvenile than I like. The only JW film I've completely enjoyed was the Johnny Depp '50s thing - maybe I just don't share the right aesthetic.

Salvador is pretty good - Oliver Stone before the coke completely took over his editing. (unrelated, but my favorite Stone moment is when he cuts scenes from Ben Hur into one of Al Pacino's big speeches in Any Given Sunday. Pure WTF)

I mean. The title of the movie is "Pecker." Sure, he uses a canonet, but this is not a movie to be watched. It is a movie for laying down and avoiding.

:)

bill, you gotta see bridges of madison county! it is romantic! she does the right thing in the end, too.

Back