Pecker -- THE RF Movie

One recent film which came to mind while follwing this thread is "William Eggleston in the Real World", about which I've heard mixed reviews, but sounds compelling ehough to seek out anyway (assuming it's still on a screen someplace...very much restricted to art-house territory). "Pecker" is one that I'll eventually get to.

Last edited:
JoeFriday said:
I must be the only one who didn't like Pecker.. the jokes and dialog all seemed to be geared toward young teens.. maybe it was just me.. admittedly, I only got halfway through it before I tired of it

You're not the only one - I thought it was a horribly bad movie :)

Loved "Born Into Brothels"

Last edited by a moderator:
I WISH that had been a better movie. I rented it with high hopes, but I guess I shouldn't have imagined what the film was like before I watched it.

The script in "Pecker" is filled with that odd sort of dialogue that you find in David Lynch films. Wait a sec...was he the one who wrote it? Too lazy to check IMDB at the moment, but in any case, the film is decent; I was just hoping for more camera junkie material. :)

Another interesting photo bit in a non-photo movie.

"Crash" with James Spader & Holly Hunter.

Scene where the character Vaughan decides to document a multi-car wreck on the freeway. He is using a Mamiya Super 23 it looks like. Then finds a stunt driver friend that tried to re-create the Jayne Mansfield crash while dressed in drag....

Pecker was based on a real guy--who wasn't especially happy about it, as I remember. The Public Eye was loosely based on Weegee.

I have purchase the Pecker DVD (in german language) yesterday, over amazon.de, as a second hand article for 9 Euro, after this great clue!

Saw similar thread on a Model Railroad forum, about "railroad films". Doesn't have to be a good move if you are intersted in the setting or theme itself. Best railroad film I ever enjoyed was "Svetlana, Hero of the Soviet Union"(something like that). All about a busty blonde engineer who drives her train through hell to deliver ammo to the defenders of Stalingrad. End of the tape cuts to a tiny little old lady leaning on her cane, showing the camera her medel and wise cracking that the actress was much too tall.
Lot of nifty rail stuff, but you gotta overlook Stalin.

tkluck said:
Saw similar thread on a Model Railroad forum, about "railroad films". Doesn't have to be a good move if you are intersted in the setting or theme itself. Best railroad film I ever enjoyed was "Svetlana, Hero of the Soviet Union"(something like that). All about a busty blonde engineer who drives her train through hell to deliver ammo to the defenders of Stalingrad. End of the tape cuts to a tiny little old lady leaning on her cane, showing the camera her medel and wise cracking that the actress was much too tall.
Lot of nifty rail stuff, but you gotta overlook Stalin.

Speaking of train movies did you see
The Station Agent

This is a great movie. I think the name and some of the images prevented a larger audience, but this is actually a pretty mainstream movie for John Waters.

I saw there was DVD available in HMV a couple months back and this made me rent one from Rogers Video. A basically hilarious movie by John Waters. Despite those gossip and nonsense about art, I like Pecker as a cute & happy-go-lucky teenage. Yeah~ and his crappy canon! :)

Did anybody ever watch Tokyo Biyori which is a Japanese movie based on the true story between Nobuyoshi Araki, yes, the famous Jap photog, and his wife? It's an impressive movie well worth recommending. Besides its story, you'll see a fleet of RF's, from Leica M to Hexar!!! I guess ppl can find it on ebay.

Last edited:
Pecker as a Calvin Klein model

Pecker as a Calvin Klein model

ck.furlong1a.jpg

source:http://www.davidtoc.com/ck/modelpix.cfm?Model_ID=85

R.J.

"Pecker" (along with "Serial Mom") are the sort of John Waters stuff I really like.
The best serious depictions of photography I've seen in movies is "Z" and "Under Fire".

RJ is right that anyone who loves photography HAS to see "Barry Lyndon". To that I would add "The Third Man", "The Red Shoes", "Night of the Hunter", and even though it's perhaps David Lean's worst film, "Ryan's Daughter", if only for the storm
sequence.

After reading this thread we picked up a copy at "half.com" for all of 4 bucks or so including shipping. We liked it. Very goofy in a relaxing way. The way Pecker related to the NY art scene crowd reminds me of the Winograd interview, the link for which I found somewhere else in this forum. And look what he did to that AF Nikon SLR. Ouch!!!!

Wow, the famous S. Gandy!

I heard you were going to raffle off a ZI w/ 35mm, NOT.

Get back to shipping Bessas!

Regards, Paul

Just saw this movie yesterday, and was a bit deception... I like to see photographers and cameras on movies, but this is just too ridiculous :|
A canonet used in those ridiculous poses, doing stuff that cant happen lol... oh well... even Christina Ricci didnt play very well...

I hope some directors read this little message of mine, and do a real film with cameras :) Maybe a HCB life history? ... just a thought! :)

Back