Suburban delights

Leafy Suburb - morning mist.
wu4iaLx.jpg

Leafy Suburb - morning mist.
wu4iaLx.jpg
Beautiful. The tone and texture in the foliage of the third tree and beyond looks just like pre-world war one platinum prints. A lot of them were made on commercial platinum papers which are hard to replicate with modern hand-coated light sensitive coatings. Just gorgeous.

Beautiful. The tone and texture in the foliage of the third tree and beyond looks just like pre-world war one platinum prints. A lot of them were made on commercial platinum papers which are hard to replicate with modern hand-coated light sensitive coatings. Just gorgeous.
Thank you for this. I wish I could nail this rendering every time but the truth is that I cannot. I find every image to be different from every other so every single one has to be worked on to get the look that I want. And quite often I never completely achieve it. This one worked just as you say - like old platinum prints but while I know in general how I achieved it, I am not entirely sure why this one worked but others do not. A combination of lighting, texture as well as technique I expect.

Here is another where I have used a similar technique in post - it is similar though not identical as the tonality of the original was different but there is no doubt that mist and fog helps achieve this kind of rendering.

Dawn and Mist by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank you for this. I wish I could nail this rendering every time but the truth is that I cannot. I find every image to be different from every other so every single one has to be worked on to get the look that I want. And quite often I never completely achieve it. This one worked just as you say - like old platinum prints but while I know in general how I achieved it, I am not entirely sure why this one worked but others do not. A combination of lighting, texture as well as technique I expect.
I think we all have these bugbears. I just described one of mine this morning here: W/NW B&W Landscapes

All I can suggest is stick at it. Good luck with it, of course.

Back