W/NW : Motorcycles

U26539I1328215127.SEQ.0.jpg

This BSA Gold Star was built and campaigned by Axtel in the early '60's. His rider, Sammy Tanner rode this bike to many Ascot Park wins. In '64 Tanner rode this bike to victory in the Springfield Mile clinching the #1 plate that year.

Untitled-4-1.jpg

Nearly ever part of this bike is modified. The present owner has Axtel's full sized blueprints showing how to make the valves from a 2.02 Chevy intake valve, and a sodium filled 427 Ford exhaust valve. The engine was reported to make over 65 hp on Axtel's dyno.

Minolta SRT 101, 58 f1.4, Tmax 400 about 1985 or 86

Gary

Another Gold Star made from bits collected over the years. Long travel suspension, polished aluminum tank. This motor is built to Axtel's specs, but in milder tune. Dyno'd to just over 50 hp with a wide torque band. Very fast on the fire roads.

Untitled-2-2.jpg

Minolt SRT 101, 58 f1.4, Tmax 400

Gary

Gary, those are magnificent bikes. I've always wanted a street legal XR750 and a big dirt framed street single. (Should flip the shocks on the 2nd bike, if they'll clear... unsprung weight.)

(The Buell fits the bill for me today (power, delivery, weight) in a more refined package (saddle, brakes, suspension, etc) off the shelf. The big KTM single would scratch my thumper itch. But..., neither look at all right and make too much sense in comparison to the old man-made bikes. I don't have time to build bikes, anymore...)

-Charlie

Here is a KR that took a spill at the Sacramento Mile in Sept '87. It is getting back its head angle, and its frame straightened.

Preping for surgury
1.jpg

On the table
2.jpg

gonna need a little here
3.jpg

Minolta SRT 101, Tmax 400

Gary

Here are a couple of old K 64 shots with Minolta SRT 101.

Untitled-13-3.jpg

Untitled-9-2.jpg

This is just about the extent of my Harley pics. Somewhere I have a pic of a '42 military Harley flat twin if I find it I'll post it.

Gary

I do have an XLCR, like that last one, but with stock pipe. Yours there has "thunderheads", basically street XR heads, which are neat. He's painted the aluminum black. We ported and polished my iron originals a bit and added a mild cam but otherwise it's stock.

Spilled bike looks like it has OHV.

Back