W/NW : Motorcycles

WWII Harley.

untitled-5081-M.jpg

Did Harley actually make a horizontally opposed twin?
Could this instead be a Russian Ural?

Did Harley actually make a horizontally opposed twin?
Could this instead be a Russian Ural?

Harley made this as a copy of the BMW's the German Army used. It even has a shaft drive. About 1000 were made for the US Army. I took this photo at the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie, NC. I have a book around here somewhere that details the production and why the army wanted such a motorcycle. Here's one that is even stranger. Indian made this to compete for the same contract Harley was after. It's a Model 841. the Y style cylinders reminds me of a Moto Guzzi.

untitled-5082-M.jpg

Harley made this as a copy of the BMW's the German Army used. It even has a shaft drive. About 1000 were made for the US Army. I took this photo at the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie, NC. I have a book around here somewhere that details the production and why the army wanted such a motorcycle. Here's one that is even stranger. Indian made this to compete for the same contract Harley was after. It's a Model 841. the Y style cylinders reminds me of a Moto Guzzi.

untitled-5082-M.jpg

Cool. Never too old to learn.

I've got a couple of originals. :)

r100-7.jpg

Horton ?

I don't know, but this is the strangest Fetherbed Norton that I have ever seen.

Horton-2.jpg

Horton-1.jpg

Yes, that is a flathead Harley engine.

Gary

The boxer flatheads were "XA"s as Gary said. No, I've never seen a '45' in a featherbed, but I think nearly every motor has been tried in it.

Dunstall fairing on the R100?

Great shot, Thang. Swinging a leg over that hoss looks like it might be an effort for the aging Erik Estrada.

I had a '69 Baltimore County Police (Special) Harley with sidecar for awhile. Flew it over to England and rode it around Europe. Sold it in Zurich. First hours in Britain were a bit of a circus, but it was a great summer.

- Charlie

Fine shot, Thang. However, in CA or AZ the officer would be put on leave until he lost a substantial amount of weight. Or maybe reassigned.

How about a different V Twin.
Minolta SRT 101 K64

Gary
More to my taste!
Of course, the odd Vincent engine wound up in a featherbed frame, too; the ultimate featherbed transplant? There is a strong Australian connection to the Vincent but I expect anyone reading this discussion probably already knows that.
Regards,
Brett

Harley 125S

untitled-5061-M.jpg
A rel nice Harley Hummer, it, the BSA Bantam, Russian Minsk, and a Yamaha were all copies of a 1939 DKW. I had the 175 cc Bantam, a nice little bike, and my first of many at 16 years old (sheds a tear !!):rolleyes:
My last in 1999 was a BMW R100 GS identical to the one in front of the parliament buildings in Budapest (BobYIL's posting ) sheds another tear, arthritis forced me to give up the bikes:(

Back