My Slides from the 90's

Ah, those Cokin filters. We all wanted those, back in the day. I had them all, the entire collection (almost), in the 1980s. Cost me a small fortune.

I played with them for a few years. Took a box of them to Indonesia with me in the late '80s, put the graduates on my Nikkormats for flashy, artsy skies. Then ad a bunch of slides taken on that trip rejected by a stock agency for being too "amateurish".

Eventually I got bored with them and gave them all away, excepting the Polarizers, which were so expensive that I couldn't bring myself to just toss them into the box of gear I sent off to a local camera club. I also kept the gelatin sets (I had four of these, heh) which are somewhere at home. I've not seen them for many years. Maybe one of the cats ate them. Again, heh.

Now I look at the used Cokin prices on Ebay and think, hm. Silly me.

I also used Cokin filters. But after trying one on a long telephoto and seeing how blurred the image was, I tossed them in the trash. I kept the filter holders and used them with better quality but much more expensive filters until I just quit using filters completely. Photography, like most things in life, is a journey without destination.

Graduated filters worked well if you have a clear patch of sky that needs toning down. If anything protrudes into that patch of sky (I.e a mountain, a building, a tree etc...) was coming out half dark and the rest half bright. It looked odd like the tree and house in my last picture.

When at uvinersity, we used to meet on Saturday mornings and go for coffee with friends in the area below the Acropolis (Plaka).
Not sure when this was taken, judging by the good exposure i would say it is taken with the EOS-5, so late 90's.

Kodak Ektachrome Elite 200

View attachment 4833068
I visited Athens in 2003, my father was working there and he rented a flat just below Acropolis, like 2 minutes from Dionysiou Areopagitou. Summer holidays were ending and I still remember the heat, it was my first time in Southern Europe, but then in the evenings it was so nice. I was lugging around Zenit Automat with standard lens and a Takumar tele zoom, no idea where are the negatives, but the pictures turned out terrible anyway.

Ah, those Cokin filters. We all wanted those, back in the day. I had them all, the entire collection (almost), in the 1980s. Cost me a small fortune.

I played with them for a few years. Took a box of them to Indonesia with me in the late '80s, put the graduates on my Nikkormats for flashy, artsy skies. Then ad a bunch of slides taken on that trip rejected by a stock agency for being too "amateurish".

Eventually I got bored with them and gave them all away, excepting the Polarizers, which were so expensive that I couldn't bring myself to just toss them into the box of gear I sent off to a local camera club. I also kept the gelatin sets (I had four of these, heh) which are somewhere at home. I've not seen them for many years. Maybe one of the cats ate them. Again, heh.

Now I look at the used Cokin prices on Ebay and think, hm. Silly me.
I just found a box of Cokin filters in a box. The last time I used them was a couple of years back. I got shots with a mirror image of the lens stating
" 8.2/ᖷ 07-42 ᖷƎ ИOИAƆ". This was my last try.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found a box of Cokin filters in a box. The last time I used them was a couple of years back. I got shots with a mirror image of the lens stating
" 8.2/ᖷ 07-42 ᖷƎ ИOИAƆ". This was my last try.

Years after I used (and gave up using) my Cokins I went thru my slides and carefully checked them for sharpness. The Cokin color filter and 'oddities' images are all slightly soft.

Oddly, my images taken with the B&W Cokins are all suitably sharp.

I really have no explanation(s) for this. Merely stating the matter.

The Cokin polarizers and some of the 'odd effects' filters (star bursts etc) were of excellent quality. I still use them on my Nikons.

Last edited:
Back