My Slides from the 90's

An interesting small aside to my prison time on the island of Kos in 1971.

While I was incarcerated, my bags, including watch, some jewelry, my Rolleiflex and a few gewgaws I had picked up along the way, including a piece of stone from the old fortress at Rhodes found on the sea shore and quietly pocketed, were kept for me under lock and key in the office of the prison warden. Also a brass chess set I had bought, a heavy thing which took up a bag of its own.

When I left all my items were returned to me with the exception of the aforementioned stone, which had disappeared. I hope it was at least returned to its original destination. Nothing else was missing. Even the small coins I had in my pocket at the time of my 'arrest' were in the bag. Honesty seems to have been a cherished principle in Greece in those days, as I hope it still is now.

On checking my bag I noticed two things. The chess set had been taken out and played with, probably by the warden and/or his staff. My Rollei had a roll of film in it with a few exposures which I couldn't recall having taken. Back in Toronto I had the B&W film processed, and found two negatives of the staff standing in a group at the prison gate.

I know I've kept those negatives, probably I still have them somewhere. If I could find them I would happily post them here. I will look..

I know I've kept those negatives, probably I still have them somewhere. If I could find them I would happily post them here. I will look..
Please do, that would be so interesting to see !

I recall fried tiny fish which we ate heads, tails, bones and all
You had some fried whitebait. There is an abudance of it and is cheap and easy to find.

I have quite a few pics taken in Plaka - post #77 is also there. I will scan a few more this weekend. Here is one more.

ScanImage785.jpg

Yes, it was whitebait, washed down with a glass of cool Greek white wine - not retsina, while I initially loathed the stuff I persevered with it and eventually got used to the "turps marinated in a vat of chopped old rubber tires" taste; alas it played havoc with my digestion and after a few scares I gave it up. Fortunately, so much other good wine was available in Greece, so I was not in any way punished by having to drink only water...

Divine lunches of mixed seafood platters but we always started with whitebait - two orders of it, one for the humans and the other for the cats that gathered round our table for a good feed. Obviously word had got around in the feline world...

I so greatly miss those halcyon times when I was young, life and the world seemed endless, and wine was so good and so cheap...

Last edited:
Yes, it was whitebait, washed down with a glass of cool Greek white wine - not retsina, while I initially loathed the stuff I persevered with it and eventually got used to the "turps marinated in a vat of chopped old rubber tires" taste; alas it played havoc with my digestion and after a few scares I gave it up. Fortunately, so much other good wine was available in Greece, so I was not in any way punished by having to drink only water...

Divine lunches of mixed seafood platters but we always started with whitebait - two orders of it, one for the humans and the other for the cats that gathered round our table for a good feed. Obviously word had got around in the feline world...

I so greatly miss those halcyon times when I was young, life and the world seemed endless, and wine was so good and so cheap...
I am glad those pictures bring up good memories for you. I will try to scan some more pictures from Athens of the late 90's hopefully they will remind you of places you might have been.

I had a fascination with this field in my father's village - growing up in a city meant that i was not used to landscapes and colous like these. I have a number of photos taken here. I am not sure about the film - it is mounted on a different frame and i don't want to damage it by opening it. It might be Velvia 50. Camera is the old Praktica BMS.

ScanImage789.jpg

Post #167 sure brings back the fact ( something I never expected) that there is an untold number of cats everywhere
in Greece (including it's islands) ! Peter

This watering hole was built in the entrance of the old village - it gathered water as it was coming down from the mountain and used it for their herds to drink.

These platanus trees are the only ones within a walking distance from the new village (Neo Bizani) where I used to spend my holidays. The elders of that time would ask us to bring them a leaf and they would buy us a lemonade or ice-scream. It was a good mile up a steep hill and unfriendly terrain but we seemed to have a sense of adventure back then and we would do it.

August 1998 - Practika BMS and EKtachrome Elite 100

ScanImage857.jpg

Back