100 pictures from the last two days in istanbul

SimonSawSunlight

Simon Fabel
Local time
10:03 PM
teargas is a bitch i tell you. the stuff they were using when they ran out of it is worse.

here's the download link:
http://we.tl/IyQa6NaPsA

8922950676_36b9563159_z.jpg

8922952718_3327aba827_z.jpg

8922954104_a5645ed6c2_z.jpg

8922955564_157643cfcb_z.jpg

8922957280_00049ec2f2_z.jpg

a lot seems to be left out by the international media, while turkish media is just plain ridiculous.
it has been calm this morning but that might change later in the afternoon. i am going back to taksim now.

These pictures should be coated in teargas and hung in a small space. Then people could walk in with masks to really appreciate the event.

When they come out I'll hose them for additional effect :p

See you there later!

Well done Simon and friends. I see you discovered the milk trick, I wish it worked better.

Would it help you to put a short text-file with links and contact details in to the picture zip, to help prevent them becoming 'orphaned' and to help in future work.

Take care out there (and prepare yourself for the inevitable requests for a review of the X100.....).

Thanks for your pictures. There this online picture about the huge number of empty tear gas cans, crazy!

That tear-gas canister picture is on Istiklal, the main pedestrianised shopping/touristy street running from Taksim Square down to the Golden Horn and the Galata bridge. Any visitors who have been to Istanbul will have walked along this street, that includes the RFF Euromeet last year.

http://defnesumanblogs.com/2013/06/01/what-is-happenning-in-istanbul/
They gathered and marched. Police chased them with pepper spray and tear gas and drove their tanks over people who offered the police food in return. Two young people were run over by the tanks and were killed. Another young woman, a friend of mine, was hit in the head by one of the incoming tear gas canisters. The police were shooting them straight into the crowd. After a three hour operation she is still in Intensive Care Unit and in very critical condition. As I write this we don’t know if she is going to make it. This blog is dedicated to her…

The state, under its conservative agenda passed many laws and regulations concerning abortion, cesarean birth, sale and use of alcohol and even the color of lipstick worn by the airline stewardesses.

People who are marching to the center of Istanbul are demanding their right to live freely and receive justice, protection and respect from the State. They demand to be involved in the decision-making processes about the city they live in.

Back