100 pictures from the last two days in istanbul

Simon,

I've now had the chance to look more closely at the entire set of images. There is some truly acute seeing and it is coherent as a set. You are doing good and important work. Thank you for sharing it. Stay dynamic, stay safe.

Thank you Simon for your dedication in photographing these events and posting the images here, stay safe and well.

Stay safe there ! I might have missed it but I do not remember having seen any report in Japanese TV news ...

let me echo the sentiments here and say stay safe and be in one piece! my heart goes out to all you Istanbullis and Turkish citizens.

Thank you so much for sharing! Solidarity! Love these two and others!

Attachments

• _DSF3232 klein copy.jpg
    _DSF3232 klein copy.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSF3531 klein copy.jpg
    _DSF3531 klein copy.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
thanks everybody. regarding the tightness of the editing, i couldn't give less of a sh!t right now, to be honest. ;)
i took more pictures yesterday, nothing to tickle your erogenous photography zones maybe, but there is not enough press coverage so the pictures have to get out there.

in other news, i have been peppersprayed while trying to protect a girl yesterday, and hit on the head with a helmet by a policeman while behind their ranks. good news: people managed to keep taksim for another day (impressive barricade-building skills too).

Watching hipsters getting teargassed is always fun. Thanks.

you deserve a load of teargas in your mouth, laddie. you have obviously no idea what is going on here. almost all of the people who got hurt in the first big clashes around taksim were middle-aged and older people (including women, if that makes any difference). so rub your bs in back up your behind.

you deserve a load of teargas in your mouth, laddie. you have obviously no idea what is going on here. almost all of the people who got hurt in the first big clashes around taksim were middle-aged and older people (including women, if that makes any difference). so rub your bs in back up your behind.

+1

Read this.

more pictures
8934193219_1fd7649065_z.jpg

as tensions rise, some of what happens in istanbul looks more like civil war than protests, like the fortification of the taksim area with massive improvised barriers and roadblocks to keep police away. there is, however, still no form of leadership or central coordination for the huge number of protesters.

8934197095_5793dba253_z.jpg

yesterday's clashes started by the waterfront in beşiktaş, where police soon chased protesters in to the narrow side streets. the gas is even more brutal in such conditions, and affecting way more than just the people on the street. most of the damage to local property (windows etc.) was done by police grenades. a lot of residents helped people on the streets and offered them shelter in their homes.

8934197811_b72590584f_z.jpg

there are a lot of stray animals in istanbul, and while cats easily find cover, the dogs are completely confused and without protection from police gas in the narrow streets.

8934202109_af23dcc1b1_z.jpg

police often make no exception for ambulances, and i have seen them actively target one that was trying to block off a water cannon truck chasing protesters.

8934818246_2538275239_z.jpg

some cafés, bistros, restaurants and hotels are opening their doors all night to help people. hyatt and intercontinental (and probably other hotels too) let people stay and sleep in their lobbies. starbucks gave out free food and drinks two nights ago (don't know about last night).

BTW, you just demonstrated the real world usefulness of the X100. Web wankers are one thing, practical use altogether another.

ISO 4000 @ 1/10th & wide open, wow.

--Steve

to be honest with you, i would swap this thing for a proper DSLR in a heartbeat right now. it did get in the way of some very good shots. it has proven to be quite resilient though and the image quality is of course fantastic.

Thank you Simon for being there and resist with us. And if you see Martin and Taylan say my greetings.

I have to be on my streets today, because now everyone has to organize their neighborhood. Resistence spreads... Stay safe, will you?

There is another thread on this topic which I started.

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133346

Also much more pics are updated with this link:

http://occupygezipics.tumblr.com

Thank you all for your great supports.

Back