1st pictures from my "new" Olympus 35SP

divewizard

perspicaz
Local time
6:05 AM
I have been shooting mostly medium format since I rediscovered film. I love my Fuji 6X9s, but the cost per frame is very high, and they are not exactly lite to carry around. Thus I became interested a small 35mm rangefinder. After looking at example pictures from various Japanese rangefinders including Olympus, Canon, Yashica, & Fujica I decided to get an Olympus 35SP.

So far I have been very happy. The quality of the lens is much better than most of my SLR lenses, and I am very happy with the first results. I have shot two rolls of film; the first was HP5+ @ iso 1600; the second was TMAX 100. The TMAX shots will be in a subsequent post.

For the HP5+ all shots were taken with a Hoya O(G) orange filter, mostly becasue that was the only 49mm filter I had when I first got the camera. I set the ISO for the meter at 1/3 stop below 800 so it would by 1 1/3 below 1600.

I am using a MRB624 Wein Cell in the camera.

This first shot was in a dark restaurant. I spot metered and exposure locked on Kathryn's forehead before composing the picture. From the exposure chart it was close to 1/15s f/1.7.
82240003lr.jpg

On this shot she is sitting next to a small table lamp and I again spot metered on her forehead and locked the auto exposure before composing the shot.
82240016xlr.jpg

The next three shots were made walking around my neighborhood using auto exposure.
82240022lr.jpg

82240023xlr.jpg

82240026xlr.jpg

The next post will be the TMAX 100 shots.
©2011 Chris Grossman

Last edited:
TMAX 100 shots

TMAX 100 shots

This shot was a manual exposure based on the meter at F/1.7. I used an orange filter.
82250014xlr.jpg

Again this TMAX100 shot is a manual exposure based on the meter at F/1.7 with an orange filter.
82250016xlr.jpg

On this shot I spot metered in the top of the trunk. It shows the 10-point sun stars produced by the G-Zuiko lens.
82250017lr.jpg

This shot is full auto, orange filter
82250027xlr.jpg

On this one I spot metered and locked the exposure on the door. It too uses an orange filter.
82250029xlr.jpg

This last TMAX 100 shot is full auto with a yellow filter.
82250030xlr.jpg

So I am very happy with my "new" Olympus 35SP. The lens, auto exposure, and spot metering work great.

The film was processed and scanned by NCPS.

©2011 Chris Grossman

Beautiful results, you tried a range of light conditions. The old truck picture shows the quality of the G Zuiko. Very nice tones and sharpness.

I also find the 35 SP lens up there with the very best. The spot meter is a great convenience.

Very nice. I really like what you can get out of this cameras lens. It is one of the first lenses I've used where I felt like the results were recognizably different relative to the other cameras I've been shooting.

I rebuilt one earlier in the year - I didn't post any shots with the camera afterwards. I should throw a few in that thread.

Edit: Added a few here - http://mail.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1460774 - I don't want to hijack your thread. :)

Last edited:
Very nice. I really like what you can get out of this cameras lens. It is one of the first lenses I've used where I felt like the results were recognizably different relative to the other cameras I've been shooting.

that ford truck shot is a buster ...

That truck shot reminds me of what I get with my Olympus 35-S, so I had to see what lens is on the 35 SP...G. Zuiko 42mm 1.7...The 35-S has the G. Zuiko 42mm 1.8...no wonder it looked familiar...

That G. Zuiko lens is different than anything else I've used...I call it "Sharp but Smooth"...

I'm glad the camera works well, I'm the guy who sold it to you. I have always been a fan of Olympus cameras, and the SP is one of the cameras that Olympus did exactly right. I was tempted to keep the camera for myself, but I have too many cameras, and not enough time to use them all.

Keep shooting and sharing...

Thank you for the compliments. The truck was my favorite from the two rolls I shot so far.

Here are a few more shots.

Art Deco Sign, Ilford HP5+ @ ISO 1600 with a Hoya 0(G) Orange filter. I spot metered on the sign.
82240024lr.jpg

Window Box, TMAX 100, Orange filter, auto exposure
82250007xlr.jpg

Low rider car, TMAX 100, Orange filter, spot metered off the trunk
82250038xlr.jpg

©2011 Chris Grossman

New TMAX 100 shots

New TMAX 100 shots

I just got back two rolls from NCPS today. The first one is TMAX 100, all shots use an orange filter.

99580004xlr.jpg

99580005xlr.jpg

5599931500_898accae82_b.jpg

©2011 Chris Grossman

Last edited:
Tmax 400 @ Iso 1600

Tmax 400 @ Iso 1600

The next three shots are all with TMAX 400 shot at ISO 1600 and push processed by NCPS.

These next two shots used a yellow filter.

99570005xlr.jpg

99570010xlr.jpg

This last one uses an orange filter

99570014xlr.jpg

©2011 Chris Grossman

Chris, when you use the spot meter *and* an orange filter, you would have to compensate (let more light in) because the meter is located near the rangefinder.

I'm glad you enjoy your 35 SP.

Chris, when you use the spot meter *and* an orange filter, you would have to compensate (let more light in) because the meter is located near the rangefinder.

I'm glad you enjoy your 35 SP.

Will,

I compensate for the filter by adjusting the ASA setting on the camera down. I measure my filters under a variety of lighting conditions with my Pentax spot meter, but the meter on the 35SP could be used. I do this instead of using tables because filers vary between manufacturers and even samples from the same manufacturer will vary depending on when they were made.

I compensate my Hoya O(G) orange filter by 1 1/3 stops, so for TMAX 100 I set the ASA on the camera to 40 (1/3 below 50).

Coast Life Support District Ambulance, Gualala, Mendocino County, California
Olympus 35SP, Velvia 50, skylight 1B, NCPS process and scan

©2013 Chris Grossman

Back