1st pictures from my "new" Olympus 35SP

Arena Cove Pier

Arena Cove Pier

Arena Cove Pier
Fujicolor Pro 160S (expired), Hoya Skylight 1B, process & scan Fromex Marina del Rey, CA

©2014 Chris Grossman, all rights reserved
U40143I1390164335.SEQ.0.jpghttp:

I just picked up an Olympus-35 SP last week and am in the midst of shooting a roll of Tri-X 400 which I hope to soup later this week. Your shots are inspiring and validating of my purchase. I particularly like the recent shot "Nico and the Rainbow" - really great portrait! My SP has a busted spring under the bottom plate that prevents the advance lever from locking after winding. I'm planning to take it in to my local repair shop soon to get that addressed. My version also seems to meter about 2/3 stops overexposure in average and spot metering (when using either a mercury or zinc battery). I simply adjusted the ISO by 2/3 stops to compensate and am hoping this will work well. Thanks for this thread!

A Red 1957 Chevrolet Pick-Up Truck

13161 Mindanao Way
Marina del Rey (Los Angeles), Los Angeles County, California 90292

I found this truck parked near my car so I had to take advantage of this photo target of opportunity.

camera: Olympus 35SP rangefinder
lens: G.Zuiko 42mm f/1.7
film: Kodak Ultramax 400 (GC400)
filter: Hoya Skylight 1B
support: hand held
scan: PCV
software: ACDSee Pro 7 (64 bit)

I just picked up an Olympus-35 SP last week and am in the midst of shooting a roll of Tri-X 400 which I hope to soup later this week. Your shots are inspiring and validating of my purchase. I particularly like the recent shot "Nico and the Rainbow" - really great portrait! My SP has a busted spring under the bottom plate that prevents the advance lever from locking after winding. I'm planning to take it in to my local repair shop soon to get that addressed. My version also seems to meter about 2/3 stops overexposure in average and spot metering (when using either a mercury or zinc battery). I simply adjusted the ISO by 2/3 stops to compensate and am hoping this will work well. Thanks for this thread!

I use a Wein cell (zinc-air) in mine and the exposures are dead on. Since the cell only operates the meter and everything else is mechanical I get about a year of use from one cell.

California Sunrise at Sea

Looking East by Southeast
Near the West end of Santa Cruz Island on the South side
Santa Barbara County, California

I was on a lobster hunting SCUBA diving trip aboard the Peace (PeaceBoat.com) last January. We headed West on the South side of Santa Cruz Island on the way to Santa Rosa Island when I saw this sunrise. I took this shot standing on the stern of the boat, the boat's wake is in the foreground.

film: Kodak Ultramax 400 (GC400)
scan: PCV

Agave Plants

Agave Plants

Agave Plants
Playa Vista (Los Angeles), Los Angles County, California

film: Kodak TMAX 100 (TMX)
filter: Hoya HMC O(G) Orange
scan: Fromex Santa Monica

2014 Ferrari 458 Spider with 11-99 frame

Culver City, Los Angeles County, California

One morning a few weeks ago on may way to work I passed this brand new 2014 Ferrari 458 Spider parked in the neighborhood. It seemed like a nice photo target of opportunity, so I stopped and took a few photos. This roll from my 35SP was the first one that I have had developed and scanned.

The 11-99 Foundation provides assistance the the families of CHP officers. Memberships that includes the license plate frame start at $2500. The claim is there is no connection between leniency from the CHP.

Cactus

Cactus

Cactus
Culver City, Los Angeles County, California

how do allocate jobs among NCPS, fromex and precision? is one better at something than the others. (note - i've used both NCPS and precision, and like both).

how do allocate jobs among NCPS, fromex and precision? is one better at something than the others. (note - i've used both NCPS and precision, and like both).

PCV, NCPS, and Fromex all use Noritsu scanners and do excellent work. My choice is usually based on price and turn-around time.

I like to use Fromex Santa Monica becasue they are local and Mike the tech there does excellent work. He hand develops my B&W and scans everything himself. Because I bring in such a large volume of film to develop and scan he meets the prices I can get online. He usually turns around my orders in a few days. They do not do E6. It is a 8 minute drive from my house.

If I do mail order for a large batch I use PCV for C41 becasue they are less expensive than NCPS. With mail both ways it takes 2 to 5 weeks to get my film and scans back. 2½ to 3 weeks is typical. PCV has also done excellent E6 work for me as well.

For E6 I send it to NCPS. They have the best price for E6 and turn around time for me including mail both ways is 1-2 weeks with 9 days being typical. Likewise for mail-order B&W I use NCPS. I also will use them for C41 when I want it back quiker than I can get from PCV, or I am already sending them E6 or B&W and saving on shipping makes up for the higher price for C41.

The quality of the scans depends quite a bit on the operator. On very few occasions I have been dissatisfied with scans form NCPS and PCV. Usually it is a big piece of dust in every frame, but sometimes the color or white and black points seem off. Mike gets me consistently good scans. Perhaps it is the personal interaction I have with him helps him take extra care of my jobs. That plus the turn-around time all for the same price are reasons I usually go my local lab.

You really can't go wrong with any of these labs. But if you live win West Los Angeles Fromex is definitely worth a try.

Interesting. I drove by Precision's new store twice yesterday. Still haven't been in.

I generally use NCPS but you remind me that I should use Precision a little more often. I'm in agreement that there is some relationship alchemy that can make a big difference.

Fine pictures, Chris, and fine camera. It is my favourite of that genre.
Materials can inspire an artist, and a new camera can inspire a photographer.

Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall
1260 Avenue of the Americas
Manhattan (New York City), New York County, New York 10020

I was lucky to catch this just after sunset when the light was still good.

film:Fujicolor Pro 160S (expired)
scan: NCPS

Back