21mm Super Angulon

Yaron, beautiful photo !

I used to own one (SA f/3.4) and foolishly sold it - BIG REGRET - 'hope to buy one again one day...

Here's one shot from mine:
326119981_97d5505c57_b.jpg

I can understand that you regret having sold this lens ... :bang: I am repeating myself here but more and more come to the opinion that this is the lens most seller regret having sold ...

threads like this are awful. The SA is already on my "dream list" of lenses. I know, in my head, that a modern Zeiss is more practical, and I'm basically a one-lens photographer (2/35 Biogon) anyway, but I just can't stop myself from wanting one of these SA's, no matter how irrational it may be. Almost every photo I see taken with it just has that "something" to it -- lovely photos in this thread, all of them!

Anyone have a f3.4 SA they wouldn't mind putting on "extended loan"?? (I am not picky as to color -- black, chrome, either will do just fine!) j/k ;)

Last edited:
Gang, take it down a notch. Too many eyes see this board. Now Nando, Kevin, me, and others who are saving up will need to save more if this keeps up.

Instead, let's discuss how the crappy fall off and unsharp corners just aren't up to modern standards. It's a poor performer. Build quality is crap. You can't use AE or the infernal(sic) meters on the M6, M7 and M8. Using an external finder is just a terrible experience. Most of them get haze and flare like someone's hair in a Pepsi commercial.

Also, I read on the internet it doesn't work on many Leica or Zeiss or Bessa bodies, and it's a crapshoot if it will work on yours. I had one but I traded it for a cellphone camera.

Gang, take it down a notch. Too many eyes see this board. Now Nando, Kevin, me, and others who are saving up will need to save more if this keeps up.

Instead, let's discuss how the crappy fall off and unsharp corners just aren't up to modern standards. It's a poor performer. Build quality is crap. You can't use AE or the infernal(sic) meters on the M6, M7 and M8. Using an external finder is just a terrible experience. Most of them get haze and flare like someone's hair in a Pepsi commercial.

Also, I read on the internet it doesn't work on many Leica or Zeiss or Bessa bodies, and it's a crapshoot if it will work on yours. I had one but I traded it for a cellphone camera.

Hehe ;) One of the funniest posts of 2009 so far! The irony is that your post will have the opposite effect on the SA lust :) Thanks for the chuckle, Mike. BTW, I am loving my sample so far, thanks Chris. Hey Gabor, do you use your E48 filter with the authentic SA hood? Regards, Thomas

There is a very simple solution to all this. Do what I do - never sell or get rid of a lens! OK, the cabinets are bulging a bit - but I sleep well, not regretting any of these "disposals".

filter size for 21mm SA

filter size for 21mm SA

hi all
don't forget the possibility/option of using a series 7 filter in the SA lens hood. mine is from b & w - the uv/ir model.
greetings from hamburg
rick

Papercut, thanks for the reminder. I actually should have updated it about a week ago.:eek:

Sorry about bursting my bubble.

2189890643_d906a2d166.jpg

The Super Angulon shows a lot of fall off, the aperture ring is tight against the hood and you cant use it on M8/M6 etc. However, with Kodachrome 25 it still rocks!
1984, close to the town of Beersheba in Israel. First the sign - then the development!

Last edited:
2793474679_b914da2c02.jpg
Occasionally you can get close ups of Mr B. The sun was shining on the table and he plunked himself down on it, challenging me to chase him off! I just put the 21 S-A on closest focus, stopped it down and put it on the table. He was considering checking the scratch resistance of the front element.

Last edited:
2092247965_f48da3dd9d.jpg
Medical students having a demonstration in Brussels. Shades of the 60's but much more peaceful. Complete with the requisite skeleton in a wheelchair (or very skinny student). Once they had demonstrated sufficiently, they all went for a beer!

Last edited:
Hehe ;) One of the funniest posts of 2009 so far! The irony is that your post will have the opposite effect on the SA lust :) Thanks for the chuckle, Mike. BTW, I am loving my sample so far, thanks Chris. Hey Gabor, do you use your E48 filter with the authentic SA hood? Regards, Thomas

Thomas, I have filters (UVa) and hoods on all of my lenses all the time. So the SA has its E48 also mounted all the time. :)

Tom, small correction: You can actually use the SA with the M6, only internal meter doesn't work. The SA also mounts perfect on the Hexar RF (I have tested this)

I think the missing meter option with the SA is not a big problem in practical use, though. Super-wides tend to pick up to much light from the sky when using TTL metering, so an external meter does a better job in this case. (At least from my experience ...)

Cheers,

Gabor

That's a very nice portrait of Mr B !! :) So ... did he actually check the scratch resistance of the lens ? :cool:

2793474679_b914da2c02.jpg
Occasionally you can get close ups of Mr B. The sun was shining on the table and he plunked himself down on it, challenging me to chase him off! I just put the 21 S-A on closest focus, stopped it down and put it on the table. He was considering checking the scratch resistance of the front element.

I have used and occasionally use the S-A on the M6/MP - but the flickering diodes aggravates me. Never tried it on my Hexar's though. I like it on my M2's and, as you say, it is better to hand held meter with them as they do pick up a lot of sky. As luck has it, one of my M6's is slowly "morphing" into a M4P anyway. Meter is hiccuping and it has a very strong opinions about exposures - usually not agreeing with me. I have other's so no big deal - but at some time I will ship it off for cleaning contacts or replacing the meter board.

As luck has it, one of my M6's is slowly "morphing" into a M4P anyway. Meter is hiccuping and it has a very strong opinions about exposures - usually not agreeing with me. I have other's so no big deal - but at some time I will ship it off for cleaning contacts or replacing the meter board.

... just increase the "morphing" speed and remove the batteries ! :)

Today, I took my M4-P with me after two weeks exclusively using the M6 and found the frame - lines of the M4-P much better than the M6 ones ... Oh well, there simply is no "perfect" M ... :D;)

Back