21mm Super Angulon

Thanks Dirk !

Did your light meter work OK?

The rear of the lens (on both 21 SA 3.4 and 4 models) protrudes deep inside the M8 body and the meter gets it wrong, so I set the Exposure Compensation to -2 2/3 or go manual.

About the color fringing and fall off, Cornerfix does the job.

Side note :
I can't fit my late 1974 21 SA 3.4 into my Leica CL nor the R4A Voigtlander but it fits into a Hexar RF and a Minolta CLE.

21 SA 3.4 + M8:

Rio de Janeiro / no morro dos dois irmãos by careca2013, on Flickr

Cheers!

Can you provide some details please? What did you code this lens as? What actions in post? Have you seen much red edge shooting color with the M8 and the SA?

This 21 SA 3.4 lens is not coded.
I shot reference pictures at various f stops on an evenly lit white wall to get rid of the cyan corners and fall off with Cornerfix.
Then choose the reference that fits best, that's it.

You may find Cornerfix here:
http://chromasoft.blogspot.com.br/2008/01/cornerfix_15.html

Rainier Tower

Rainier Tower

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbhthescots/8722453961/in/photostream

One of the distinctive downtown skyscrapers and a perennial favorite of Seattle Architecture Tours is the Rainier Tower, designed by Minoru Yamasaki, the Seattle-born architect best known for designing the infamous twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City.

It has an unusual appearance, being built atop an 11-storey, 37*m (121*ft) concrete pedestal base that tapers towards ground level, like an inverted pyramid - it doesn't look the safest place to be when the big one hits, methinks.

Leica M4 & 21mm f4 Super-Angulon
B&W ND Filter (6-stop)
Sekonic L-308S
Tri-X (@100)
HC-110 (Dil.H - 1:63@10min)
Plustek 7600i & Vuescan

BoBe
M6+21F4SA, Tri-X400
7467053300_cc7010cab4_c.jpg

Stunning image!
this SA f/4 often have bad reputation from peoples that never shot one picture!

Well done!

Cheers

I have an opportunity to obtain a 21/4 SA at a really good price. It's cosmetically challenged but scratch & haze free and probably could use a good cleaning. I plan on using this lens on film and (hopefully) digital.

I'm a little torn because the film shots I've seen on this thread are amazing, but my initial tests using an M9 + Lightroom Flat Field program have been pretty disappointing. The plugin fixes light falloff and color shifting but the corners are really bad @f/4. By f/11 things clean up a bit but large sections of the frame are still unusable. Has anyone else had success with an M9? Are things better with the 3.4 SA?

I use the 21/3.4 SA on the M9. Love the lens and the high res, but there is color shift on the left side of the image. You have to crop, or find creative ways to blend the shift into the image. I have not used corner fix. You also have to adjust the exposure by +2.5 to +3 stops to use the M9 metering. That said, if you can acquire the 21/4 at a very good price -- go for it. You can always re-sell at a later date.

I use the 21/3.4 SA on the M9. Love the lens and the high res, but there is color shift on the left side of the image. You have to crop, or find creative ways to blend the shift into the image. I have not used corner fix. You also have to adjust the exposure by +2.5 to +3 stops to use the M9 metering. That said, if you can acquire the 21/4 at a very good price -- go for it. You can always re-sell at a later date.

Do you get any corner smearing with the 3.4 or just color shifts? I also have the option of getting a 3.4 SA for not much more than the 21/4 SA - I'd probably pick whichever was the least bad on my M9. I figure I'll just use it primarily on film.

Hello everyone, I know this has been asked up front and replied to a lot, but what is the current price for a great condition 21mm f3.4 in today's dollars?

no worries. It's common. same here....:D

Yeah, regret I did sell a 21/3.4 #291xxxx in mint condition, from last batch of production. I think I will to get a #275xxxx in not bad condition. I try to repair my great mistaken, if is possible repair errors!

Cheers

Back