262 - Least Mentioned Camera

Bike Tourist

Well-known
Local time
7:05 PM
How many M Type 262s were made? I ask since I very seldom see them mentioned on the forum. As a long-time Leica user I am really happy with mine but maybe I'm missing something of which I'm unaware. It is a bare bones body. Maybe most prefer more features. Or, it could be that few were manufactured and there are not many in the hands of photographers.

Dick, they made 3–one for Vince Lupo, one for you, and one for me. The rest were dummies. (Don’t ask whether I mean the other cameras or the other photographers.)

And now, someone else maybe can provide figures and widgets while I walk the dogs. ;-)

Well, at least one more: the M-D 262 I had. Had is the operative word... I loved the camera but once I had the CL found myself not using it. After a year passed and I'd barely made 400 exposures with it, I decided to sell it and put that money into other needs and interests.

The M-D 262 is without a doubt my favorite Leica M to date, film and digital inclusive, but I figured my M4-2 is long since already fully devalued and the M-D 262 was still worth a healthy fraction of what I paid for it. So I kept the M4-2.

I don't know whether any credible source has actual production/sales numbers on typ 262 M models as yet. I know it was a popular model for many, but it was rapidly eclipsed by the M10 release. If I ever buy another digital M, the current likely candidate is either an M10-D or M10-M.

G

Believe it or not, I just sold my Monochrom 246, but am holding onto the M-D. It may likely be my last digital M -- I think I'm getting off the Leica train.

The Nikon Z cameras will do that to you. :D

Noticed the 1.25 magnifier on your M-D, has that made focusing easier?

Best,
-Tim

The Nikon Z cameras will do that to you. :D

Noticed the 1.25 magnifier on your M-D, has that made focusing easier?

Best,
-Tim

Yeah it's a super camera. Waiting to see if in fact the Z8 comes out later this year.

Yes the magnifier does help, especially with my 35/2 V1 goggled Summicron. With that particular lens it makes the brightline frame just the right size for me, and plus in general I don't use anything longer than a 75 with the rangefinder.

I am massively disappointed by the mirrorless "revolution" because I (falsely) assumed mirrorless equals small & light.

I was looking into the Nikon Z, Canon EOS R, and Leica SL cameras but was shocked when I saw how large & heavy the lenses are. Completely defeats the concept of a compact mirrorless system. No, thank you. It brought back all the bad memories I had with my Nikon D610 camera that I ditched because it was simply too large & heavy to carry around all day. APS-C is a different story and much more appealing to me, especially the Fuji line of cameras and lenses. But if I ever switch to digital, I'll probably get a digital M because it is a small & light system with a FF sensor. But the verdict is still out for me whether a FF camera actually has any benefits.

I think the difference in weight between the Nikon Z7 with a native 50/1.8 and the new Leica Monochrom (M10M) with a 50mm Summilux is about 110 grams (Nikon being the heavier of the two when compared like that). I hiked around Annapolis Waterworks Park last weekend for about 1.5 hours with the Z7 and a 200-500 f/5.6 lens and hardly noticed it being around my neck, but we’re all different so our perceptions of what’s ‘heavy’ will surely differ. But yeah the Nikon Z prime lenses are maybe larger than they should be, but to me they’re actually quite comfortable on the Z7 body, plus that camera body feels nice to handle (has a nice predominance of metal with just a very little bit of plastic).

Rangefinders really fit the way I see and work. That will keep me with Leica unless someone else come up with a REALLY good alternative. I still have the original MM. Still using it.

I also have an M 262 so that makes 4 people that have one ha ha. But my main workhorses now are my 2 M 10s for pro work and my MM is still my go to for my personal work.

I also have an M262-S (for screen). Every time I picked one up it just felt right and as I was hunting for a used M10, one showed up used but like new at a price I couldn't ignore. It's a pretty wonderful camera even with the screen! Other than that the M10 is a better camera, I prefer the 262 in some respects; lighter weight, simplicity, finish, ISO button (over the dial, but this could change just getting accustomed to the dial on the 10), battery life is fabulous, and the shutter is also quiet.

David

I’m sorry not to have issued a roll call earlier, but the moments for snarky repartee come along infrequently for me. Normally I’m just a dull penny lying on the sidewalk while the interesting artistic and technical conversations stroll past.

I just bought one . Debated between going all the way to M10P or save 4000$ and get the 262. Glad I made the decision. 100000 times better than my oddie M8. Simple design, manual and button. Shutter is quiet enough for me. Really happy with it

A staff at Leica told me that M262's sensor has been tweaked and it's actually close to M10's in terms of color science and the only advantage of a M10 is high ISO performance.
I don't know if that's true but I'm pretty happy with mine and the battery life is unbeatable. My only complain is the center weighted metering.....

A staff at Leica told me that M262's sensor has been tweaked and it's actually close to M10's in terms of color science and the only advantage of a M10 is high ISO performance.
I don't know if that's true but I'm pretty happy with mine and the battery life is unbeatable. My only complain is the center weighted metering.....

I have both and the M 262 is a great camera but the M 262 has some shutter lag issues (slower processor) and the M 10 is immediate and has much better high ISO performance. But the M 262s battery is a lot longer lasting. I love the ISO dial on the M 10.

I am massively disappointed by the mirrorless "revolution" because I (falsely) assumed mirrorless equals small & light.

+1 I too have been somewhat disappointed in the so-called "Revolution." at least until I came across the Sony A5100 and A6600. If you want a very small interchangeable lens 24mp APSC camera the A5100 fits the bill, although one will have to make do without an EVF. If an EVF is required the A6600 will do as a very compact 24mp interchangeable lens camera.

If full frame is the desire then I have my Leica M262 and a pile of lenses dating back to 1930.

Regards,
Don out West

Dick, they made 3–one for Vince Lupo, one for you, and one for me. The rest were dummies. (Don’t ask whether I mean the other cameras or the other photographers.)

And now, someone else maybe can provide figures and widgets while I walk the dogs. ;-)

Southern Pines....great golf. Are courses open these days?

Back