262 - Least Mentioned Camera

I just bought my first digital Leica-M, a 262 and I couldn't be happier (except if I'd have had the funds for the MD 262).

I love it.

It will never replace my M6 in my heart but then again, nothing will. :)

I have an M 262 as well. Four years old and still a fantastic camera, with just the right features for me. I really see no need to upgrade for a long time. Does that bring us up to double digits on the number of owners?

I’m shooting an M262 and I really love it. I don’t need an EVF, or video, or an M10, though it would be nice. I’m actually as happy as I could be with it, and I purchased it near new with a bunch of batteries for just $2500 last year. Was surprised to see the price and couldn’t believe it was legit. In any event I don’t see myself selling it anytime soon. Only real temptation now is a Monochrom 246.

Glad to see there are plenty of other 262 users out there enjoying the mid cameras.

When I decided to get a successor to my M8 (not that I have given that wonderful M8 away, I still have it), I couldn't decide whether to get the "minimalist" M262 (ok, perhaps not really "minimalist", but you get what I mean) or the "feature packed" M240 (ok, probably not "feature packed" compared to other brands but again you know what I mean ;) ). So I waited for the best offer to come by. And the M240 was faster. So, I got my M240. And I am really happy about that, but I am sure I would have been equally happy the M262.

I just bought a "new old stock" M262. Hits the spot for me - lighter than my MP240 (80g really does make a difference) and feels like my M9/M8 in use so an all round winner.

I think M-D 262 is closest digital camera to be operated like film camera.
It has ISO dial just where film M have it.
And due most likely same limited metering functionality as my M-E 220 guaranteed results are achieved with S16 or exposure meter.

M 262 is cool, but not reversible screens of its size ain't too cool. IMO.

I've always liked this version...and the one without the screen. I never used video, so cameras like this always appeal to me. Congrats on owning a fine camera.

For all you rangefinder Jedi who may have recently sensed "a disturbance in The Typ":

I just took possession of an M262 that was sold to me this week by an earlier poster to this thread.
The Typ is now back in equilibrium.

The 262 is one of my favorite Leicas. Simple design, the LCD screen-version is quite light with aluminum top, and has a smooth very quiet shutter! Congratulations, enjoy your camera.

David

I am massively disappointed by the mirrorless "revolution" because I (falsely) assumed mirrorless equals small & light.

I was looking into the Nikon Z, Canon EOS R, and Leica SL cameras but was shocked when I saw how large & heavy the lenses are. Completely defeats the concept of a compact mirrorless system. No, thank you. It brought back all the bad memories I had with my Nikon D610 camera that I ditched because it was simply too large & heavy to carry around all day. APS-C is a different story and much more appealing to me, especially the Fuji line of cameras and lenses. But if I ever switch to digital, I'll probably get a digital M because it is a small & light system with a FF sensor. But the verdict is still out for me whether a FF camera actually has any benefits.

Sony E mount and L mount alliance have some smaller, lighter primes. Sigma make some excellent small primes with apertures in the f2-3.5 range, and Sony have similarly sized primes. Of course, you can use M mount lenses on some mirrorless bodies with decent results, which is what I'm doing at the moment with my Panasonic S5 and assorted Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses, mostly the Summicron 50, Distagon 35 and sometimes the Summarit 75. I also have the 20-60 kit lens and 50mm f1.8, the latter proving very useful for photo and video.

As for the standard zooms etc in full frame mirrorless cameras, the designers are finally figuring out how to make them marginally smaller and lighter than the DSLR predecessors. The Canon RF 70-200mm f2.8 is an example.

I haven't used aps-c cameras since the Fuji X100 and Ricoh GXR, but it's only natural that aps-c lenses will be smaller and lighter than their full frame counterparts. And m43 lenses are even smaller, except for the Olympus f1.2 Pro primes. Interestingly, I prefer the feeling of shooting my Panasonic G9, which has a grip like a midrange DSLR, compared with the much smaller and lighter GX85, which has a terrible grip, and buttons that are easily pressed by accident on the back.

As for the M-D 262, I would LOVE one of those, or a M10-D. I really dig the simple action of using a rangefinder with the option for EVF for lenses outside the RF envelope. When finances allow, I will definitely look into this.

...As for the M-D 262, I would LOVE one of those, or a M10-D. I really dig the simple action of using a rangefinder with the option for EVF for lenses outside the RF envelope. When finances allow, I will definitely look into this.

The M-D 262 has no EVF port, so it can only focus with the rangefinder using native M-mount lenses. The M-D 262 is essentially an M4-P with a digital sensor and built-in motor winder.

The M10-D has the EVF port.

G

The M-D 262 has no EVF port, so it can only focus with the rangefinder using native M-mount lenses. The M-D 262 is essentially an M4-P with a digital sensor and built-in motor winder.

The M10-D has the EVF port.

G

Thank you for letting me know, that narrows things down a bit more.

Might as well join in here as an M Type 262 owner. Bought mine new back in 2018. I choose the rear screen model because there are times I prefer to shoot jpegs, not to mention I like being able to get to the menus (as simple as they are) to make changes easily. I understand the lure of the D type for some as it is about as close to a film M camera as one can get... but it's just not for me. I keep the screen off because I don't bother with chimping and the battery life is nothing short of amazing. So far I have seen no reason to move to an M10 or M11 but the smaller size of the M10 is tempting. Should I go to an M10 it would be the standard model with 24mp sensor. I am a hobbyist photographer so 24mp is more than enough for me and price is the major factor. I love that I can use the nice collection of vintage Leitz glass I have accumulated over the years on my digital M camera. My 1930 vintage 73mm f/1.9 Hektor is very interesting as is my 1930's vintage 28mm f/6.3 Hektor.

Back