50mm Summicron v3

bert26

-
Local time
9:10 PM
I'm in the market for a 50mm Summicron and theres a German version 3 that was just CLA'd for $700. This is $700-1000 cheaper than the other versions I've seen and close to the same price as a collapsible.

Soooo why's it so cheap? The Ken Rockwell site says it has more contrast and lower resolution but is it really that much lower? And is it like ridiculously contrasty? I can't imagine there being such a thing as a bad Summicron but should I pull the trigger or save up more? How noticeable is the difference? I shoot black and white 90% of the time if that matters.

It was my first Leica lens, and though I have a ‘lux now, I still regret selling it. Made wonderful (color, for me) images

At that price I'd buy it (especially as its had a CLA) - if you don't like the quality of the images - you'll easily sell it for what you paid.
I think you'll find it's a great optic

Are hood and original caps included? Packaging, papers? What is its external condition? Small things make a big difference with respect to market-value.

Small things matter but for $700 and if you’re going to be shooting it regularly, it’s a good price, box/papers or not. And I agree with others here that the V3 is highly underrated. Great small Summicron, and you really can’t go wrong with any version. I have a handful of 50 Summicrons and the V3 is as good as any in my opinion. Yes you might see the slightest difference if comparing one to the other side by side, but in daily use, I think you’ll be happy.

My favourite Summicron 50. Veeeery long focus throw. I love the contrast it produces, in BW and colour.

My favourite Summicron 50. Veeeery long focus throw. I love the contrast it produces, in BW and colour.

That veeeery long focus throw is one of the reasons why the version 3 is among my favorites. Because along with the long focus throw goes a long and highly useful DOF scale. I check my DOF frequently--meaning the majority of my shots. For this reason I prefer the V3 to the V4. I had the V4 for a while. It wasn't any sharper, and the DOF scale was too short. The 'high contrast" of the V3 just means good freedom from veiling flare. My other 50s are the Collapsible; the dual Range; and the Carl Zeiss Planar. All good lenses, yet my 50mm V3 gets used as often as any of them.

I concur, it really is a great lens and possibly the best Leitz lenses in terms of value for money. It is sharp (on film and digital), contrasty, and even has beautiful bokeh. I love mine dearly.

Do you like to rotate a lot and with some tension? This is v3 focus ring. Longer than modern lenses. It has oddest focus part build. But it is all metal and glass lens. Doesn’t have v4 flare. I like it more than v4 sterilized rendering on bw film. It has less focus shift on digital than v4 I had.
The rendering is not one term these days. I divide between bw dr prints, c41 scans and color digital. V3 is totally fine. Here is a lot of repeated cliches in Leica world.

I'm in the market for a 50mm Summicron and theres a German version 3 that was just CLA'd for $700. This is $700-1000 cheaper than the other versions I've seen and close to the same price as a collapsible.

Soooo why's it so cheap? The Ken Rockwell site says it has more contrast and lower resolution but is it really that much lower? And is it like ridiculously contrasty? I can't imagine there being such a thing as a bad Summicron but should I pull the trigger or save up more? How noticeable is the difference? I shoot black and white 90% of the time if that matters.

I bought my 50mm V3 for $800 USD and it wasn't CLA'd...$700 for a CLA'd copy is a great price! While I do really like the contrast levels you can get out of the lens natively, I can't say I've notice any inherent lack of resolution with this lens.

It's incredibly sharp to my eyes and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Last edited:
Not the greatest shot ever but you get the point - lovely contrast *and* sharpness. Looks high res to me:
kEuTB76J0KcF8xSAzp2-ZctJ5glYTvZNsignMmv8teAIvZ0BX4EidW3Ql9cUmeiBPuFTySERmIhyZ_wRbYcNCnwH2DKwkjE6kwM2_tmGlkHe3CNkXM3OzvHBfgrvOHtELNlYtAZfNDXmRGOguWms-shg85_WL2Ja8IIkr1_kU2CFbQ9uWRcS4g4P8IJDbLXYNVkGuRxgIjBpjG7X3AIQvs6akl8136y7izDi9-xzjqLCpuVxqGkWa22zA-YlS-oxYjnEnCOYDgRazQqvyB_rMu8dEPzHC0yUpitdGoNZOFARoJC3CQqScGP_DPUU1l55_00zVj_QwwkVmQDtir35SX1a3XwxaBFoVMeVs338OsvbWSQKzndvRdIR25ZF9hFOf07dIphOvFCid4PFhmKudwgiClne-suhPLwMZD4w5WQ_WVqiLAci3HmC-WxsO4Jl3KsZ-_560A7Y6Uq7z2c7ftqtqwvueCjXAhAc9o_ApnHp0YvAwpujkOIGkR2YwufQkWXYzLwSuPl9p_Kx2t6ddYYAO1f14Bo1O0iiwRG-pFw5YtPwcS8Zb6rzDHV4qQtsT8wSx-kQmZJ_kAT3T_CZJHqwV7jo_v-SaiV9r5rTlewa7DWRwQ4Mwz_qsmzc5C7-CKwgpWG9PJBJeTwW0EdQD4ZhKyCj2mHFCz3tP7hc9-kUL890k1W0BZQ=w1455-h903-no

I bought my 50mm V3 for $800 USD and it wasn't CLA'd...$700 for a CLA'd copy is a great price!

Sometimes people send lens to CLA to realize it was dropped and barrel is oval.
Sometimes people have urge to sell for less due to....

Sometimes people send lens to CLA to realize it was dropped and barrel is oval.
Sometimes people have urge to sell for less due to....

Or perhaps it's as innocent as wanting a quick sale? I guess OP will find out if they choose to buy.

So the one I posted about sold a few hours later. Ended up buying a different one for $800 but it comes with the 12585 hood. The paint is worn but according to seller it works flawlessly and the glass is apparently free of haze and scratches, it just has a bit of dust in the lens. Who cares?

I'll get it Thursday and the seller said he used it on his m6 with outstanding results and is only selling it to get a summilux.

Showed these to my friend today and he said to him it looks like there's a scratch. The photos at the very end demonstrate what he's talking about. I didn't notice at first. Hopefully it's something else. 100% positive feedback although he only has 55 ratings. Guess if it is a scratch I guess I can just get my money back.

IMG-9045

IMG-9046

IMG-9047

IMG-9049

IMG-9050

IMG-9051

IMG-9006

IMG-9007

IMG-9008

IMG-9009

I see what it is you're circling, but from these low resolution images it's hard to make out what it is exactly. If it is a scratch and you want to return it you will be able to even if the seller says no return. Ebay usually always sides with the buyer if the seller refuses to take the return. I've sold many items on Ebay while stating no returns and if they don't like whatever they bought I always accept it as I rather no go through the hassle plus from my experience Ebay almost always sides with the buyer so I would not worry so much.

With that being said I hope it's not a scratch and you get yourself a nice lens.

Strange. Photos shows very close details, but none of them are with correct angle and flash light behind. At least at photos which loads.
Seller might do it deliberately or just doesn't know how to check lens.

But, while mine as less worn it has scratches and haze visible with correct angle view and light behind. Yet, it doesn't affect pictures. Especially of film.

Back