50mm Summicron v3

If the scratches are just on the coating, I'd not worry about it one bit.

If it's the glass and the scratches are very fine lines less than a hair's width, I'd not really worry - you'd not see any meaningful degradation in the image. You'd probably need expensive equipment in an optical lab to detect any flaws.

More important is the condition of the rear element, along with the lens feeling solid when focusing or changing aperture.

All else being perfect, the corners at 2.0 from around 12 mm from center are soft. V2 is similar. Collapsible not as good at 2,28,4.0. This is a low contrast lens made for making slides.
If you can find the parts, the optical cell unscrews for use on copy stand/focoslide and enlarger.
contrast is boosted from v2 and I never noticed resolution loss.
ANY HASE AT ALL wrecks performance.

Your collapsible was the lemon :). I had one and it was good from wide open. BW darkroom prints where so good from it, I ditched MF gear. My collapsible was recently serviced.

Hi everyone,
I've been reading this forum for some time, but haven't posted so far. Since I have a V3 that I love, I thought I'd share some pics with you.
I quite like the versatility of this lens, it works very well in both color and b&w.
I find it less "clinical" than the v4 or the Planar and more predictable than the v1 or v2 (I have a v1 - collapsible - that I love as well, but it's more sensitive to flare and lower contrast).
20191207-20195050.jpg

20200306-20198862.jpg

Back