50mm Summicron v3

Hope it works out!

I brought the V3 to the hospital last week for my son’s birth. Beyond pleased with how the shots came out.

I think mine is a V3 and got it for a similar price. Love the lens. Actually bought a V4 with a tab because I like the tab so much on my 35mm Summicron and sent it back because the build quality on my V3 was so much better. I just ordered one of those slide on tabs for mine but haven't received it yet.

I think mine is a V3 and got it for a similar price. Love the lens. Actually bought a V4 with a tab because I like the tab so much on my 35mm Summicron and sent it back because the build quality on my V3 was so much better. I just ordered one of those slide on tabs for mine but haven't received it yet.

Tab will get into VF at MFD. Use cable tie.

c94596ea520e715cab7adb0f0a68f8c1.jpg

22dfa45a57ed4800ce0b299fa5893fdd.jpg

79711ffbfe01daa8becb5e7c1fc538d8.jpg

A few more. Nothing earth breaking, but good to capture these early day memories. I’ve been thrilled with the look.

... Soooo why's it so cheap? The Ken Rockwell site says it has more contrast and lower resolution but is it really that much lower? And is it like ridiculously contrasty? I can't imagine there being such a thing as a bad Summicron but should I pull the trigger or save up more? How noticeable is the difference? I shoot black and white 90% of the time if that matters.
So the one I posted about sold a few hours later. Ended up buying a different one for $800 but it comes with the 12585 hood. The paint is worn but according to seller it works flawlessly and the glass is apparently free of haze and scratches, it just has a bit of dust in the lens. Who cares?

I'll get it Thursday and the seller said he used it on his m6 with outstanding results and is only selling it to get a summilux.

Showed these to my friend today and he said to him it looks like there's a scratch. The photos at the very end demonstrate what he's talking about. I didn't notice at first. Hopefully it's something else. 100% positive feedback although he only has 55 ratings. Guess if it is a scratch I guess I can just get my money back. ...
First off, I have to say that Ken Rockwell's reviews are the next best thing to "worthless" (IMHO).

These v.3 Summicrons (in very clean condition) show up on eBay often in the ~$1,000 range. You probably paid a fair market price based condition; and if there is indeed a scratch it probably won't affect your images - at least not enough for you to discern.

BTW, that extra long focus throw makes it easier to fine-focus - especially wide-open! The short throws of the later (higher resolution) Summicrons are handy (and more popular), but the extra resolution is nearly counter-balanced by more missed shots at the wider apertures.

First off, I have to say that Ken Rockwell's reviews are the next best thing to "worthless" (IMHO).

I've never understood why people get so upset about Ken Rockwell's opinions... Many times he's being tongue in cheek, and mostly all the time he is correct. The v3 Summicron is lower resolution and higher contrast than the previous, and the one after it. It is true, but is it that much lower and does it really matter? No. All of these qualities do make a slight difference to the rendered image, so just take these points to mind and choose the lens you use according to your preference. For example, if I want to use Velvia, Provia or the new Ektachrome I would choose the v3 or the current Summicron to take advantage of the high contrast and colour of these lenses that help these emulsions. When I use Acros (black and white), I'd rather use the Collapsible, the Rigid or DR Summicron because they tame the highlights and have better "middle greys" that work best with Acros. And these older designs seem to "etch" the film somehow - it's an effect I see and that I love. There's no reason to bag Ken Rockwell - and I'm not saying that you mean to "bag" him either. He writes and speaks his mind but never to offend anyone - just tongue in cheek banter. I have nothing to do with him, I live in Australia while'st he lives somewhere in California I think. I cannot see why the things he writes are "worthless" - it's just information that is there if you want to check, and see for yourself when you acquire the equipment he is talking about. That can be said of any reference text material. And that can be said of anyone that writes anything about photography in this forum. And I don't mean to offend anyone, or to punish anyone. Unless someone is offensive in this forum, I find most peoples comments, feelings and sometimes, "banter" usefull in this forum.

Re: Teddy, Bill, and others... Please be aware that any discussion *about* Ken Rockwell goes to the Off-Topic forum. :eek:

I've never understood why people get so upset about ...'s opinions... There's no reason to bag ... - and I'm not saying that you mean to "bag" him either. He writes and speaks his mind but never to offend anyone - just tongue in cheek banter. ... I cannot see why the things he writes are "worthless" - ...
Well, sorry, but I do mean "worthless"! That certain "off topic" person very often makes wildly dogmatic assertions, such as "anyone who knows anything knows sharpness doesn't matter" and the like (that's not tongue in cheek, but simply dogmatic). His opinions are his own and he is most certainly entitled to post anything he likes on his own website, but I've seen enough to know to move along and get my reviews and opinions elsewhere. He does seem to have a substantial following - but I am not among them.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread. ...

Hopefully I didn't make the wrong choice as I shoot basically black and white all the time. All the images I've seen with the v3 with black and white look amazing.

Had a version 3 35 summicron which I believe is very similar (lower resolution and higher contrast) and my black and white images came out great.

Hopefully I didn't make the wrong choice as I shoot basically black and white all the time. All the images I've seen with the v3 with black and white look amazing.

Had a version 3 35 summicron which I believe is very similar (lower resolution and higher contrast) and my black and white images came out great.

For certain images, the v3 Summicron IS amazing. I love the contrast, macro details, micro details, the "taut" but "disciplined" and controlled out of focus effects - I don't have the words to really describe it today. The version 2 I conclude is better wide open with higher contrast at f2. Yet, for black and white purely I think the type 1 (Collapsible, Rigid, DR) versions are a great balance compared to other 50's from different brands. The higher contrast lenses are best with colour I think. Horses for courses.

I have the Collpasible and the DR versions, but the Type 2, and 3 I only have in R mount (might be slightly different look) but you will get the idea - unless someone here can comment if the R and M glass versions are really truly alike.

Acros, Summicron R 50/2 Type 2
23576506878_eebed029a4_c.jpg

Velvia 50, Summicron R 50/2 Type 2
18726654392_aafda5c7d2_c.jpg

I just got a copy for a decent price, and I don't find it overly contrasty. To me, it has just the right amount of bite, and it seems to have a look that my other lenses don't. I didn't want to drink the Leica lens Kool-Aid, but it's hard for me to argue with the results.

Leica M5, Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 v3, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2020.04.27 Roll #243-04673-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

2020.04.27 Roll #243-04691-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

c94596ea520e715cab7adb0f0a68f8c1.jpg

22dfa45a57ed4800ce0b299fa5893fdd.jpg

79711ffbfe01daa8becb5e7c1fc538d8.jpg

A few more. Nothing earth breaking, but good to capture these early day memories. I’ve been thrilled with the look.

A new baby is the reason (and the best possible reason) that you have/need a Leica.

Mother and child look well; you should be pleased.

I brought a Spotmatic F (best I had then, pretty good kit even now) to the delivery room to record our daughter's arrival, some decades ago. When my daughter had arrived, and when I had handed off the camera in order to hold the baby after photographing both girls, my wife was able to shoot a few of me holding the newborn while she was flat on her back on the table while the nurses were sorting out her immediate/pressing postpartum requirements. Girls can multitask.

Now I use an M6 and a Leicaflex Standard to shoot the grandkids.

Congratulations.

A new baby is the reason (and the best possible reason) that you have/need a Leica.

Mother and child look well; you should be pleased.

I brought a Spotmatic F (best I had then, pretty good kit even now) to the delivery room to record our daughter's arrival, some decades ago. When my daughter had arrived, and when I had handed off the camera in order to hold the baby after photographing both girls, my wife was able to shoot a few of me holding the newborn while she was flat on her back on the table while the nurses were sorting out her immediate/pressing postpartum requirements. Girls can multitask.

Now I use an M6 and a Leicaflex Standard to shoot the grandkids.

Congratulations.

Thank you! He's growing fast. He left the hospital at 7 lbs 6 oz. 10 weeks later he's doubled in size!

Back