70mm Film FUN up ahead

In terms of Raw film cost:

A roll of FP4 in 120 at my local film store with a student discount costs me £4.20
Shooting 12 frames on a 6x6 camera in turn costs me 35p a frame.

Looking at ebay currently I would most likely go for 150 FT of kodak pan that has been freezer stored costing a total of £216.95 incl shipping.

Dividing that total by 10 should give me the number for 15 feet of 70mm film which is £21.70 Rounded up.

15 feet should give me 70 6x6 exposures using a hasselblad a70 film back still making 6x6 exposures so taking 21.70 dividing it by 70 gives a cost per frame of about 31P

If my maths are correct it means that shooting 70mm film at the average price for something freezer stored on ebay is 4 pence cheaper per frame. Not sure how it is over there in the US

You would also have the costs of the 70mm film cartridges, and some kind of 70mm developing tank. These do not come along every day. This is not for everybody.

Also if it's an important job you would need to test it and be confident and solid with it. This will be on you to do.

You would also have the costs of the 70mm film cartridges, and some kind of 70mm developing tank. These do not come along every day. This is not for everybody.

Also if it's an important job you would need to test it and be confident and solid with it. This will be on you to do.

Im fine with the intitial investment in tanks etc as it is well worth the convenience and the slightly cheaper cost per frame. Its more just finding the right film and all of the above things you have conveniently covered in this thread.

Currently job hunting for this summer but if I get a job I might actually start doing this as for full day events as this could be fantastic in saving me time.

KODAK HIGH SPEED INFARED IN 120 SIZE!

Look at this. I bought six rolls myself of his film, and I still have five rolls of it in the deep freeze. He slit down Kodak 70mm 2424 High Speed Infared (this is EXACTLY the same emulsion as 35mm Kodak High Speed Infared), and respooled it in 120 Kodak Portra backing paper.

See here:

http://www.davidromano.com/Film.html

Now......... I have an unopened box of 70mm High Speed Infared 150 feet. So I can use it in 70mm long rolls, or respool it to 120 size as David Romano did. This is probably the rarest and most precious 70mm film I could own. I still can't believe that I have it!

BULK LOADING 120 FILM

From the internet, here is a home made 70mm to 120 size film slitter.
This is for slitting 70mm film, then re-using the 120 backing paper and respooling it all together.
I have never done this myself, but I certainly have enough 70mm film to try it! :)

70mm to 120 film slitter by Nokton48, on Flickr

And here is the 3D model of the Jobo 120/220 reel adapter, to accommodate 70mm film. This will take a short piece of 70mm
But it will fit in a Jobo multi tank 2500 series. Useful! This would be fantastic for test-developing a couple of feet of 70mm film.
I could see using this quite a bit.

Someone here should make these adapters. I would buy one!

Jobo 70mm reel mod No 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Im fine with the intitial investment in tanks etc as it is well worth the convenience and the slightly cheaper cost per frame. Its more just finding the right film and all of the above things you have conveniently covered in this thread. Currently job hunting for this summer but if I get a job I might actually start doing this as for full day events as this could be fantastic in saving me time.

Jake,

I shopped for cheaper 70mm film for several years and in time found it. I don't think I paid over $50 for any of my rolls; even a 500' roll of Plus-X Aero Recon (Well that might have been $80 but it was 500 feet!). As I have said prices are all over the place. Rollei has fresh Infared 400 for 88 Euros for 30.5 meters. You might want to try some of that. I have bought numerous times from Maco Direct in Germany and they are a good resource. https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/infrared-films/1697/rollei-infrared-400s-70mm-x-30.5m

There is cheaper 70mm film that comes up on Ebay; Just be ready for it. There is a cheap roll of 2402 Plus-X on there right now. Just make sure it is type II perfed 70mm film to work in Hasselblad or RB67. And make sure to test it!

Let us know how it goes! :)

-Dan

And here is the elusive JOBO 70mm Reel and Tank. You can put an inversion watertight cap on this quite easily. So this is the third choice for 70mm tanks and reels that I know of.

Jobo 70mm Tank & Reel 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Jobo 70mm Tank & Reel 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Jobo 70mm Tank & Reel 4 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I hope this thread is helpful for those who have contemplated jumping into 70mm. There is a lot to have to work out and I intend to keeping adding posts as things progress.

I hope this thread is helpful for those who have contemplated jumping into 70mm. There is a lot to have to work out and I intend to keeping adding posts as things progress.

Dude this thread is what we all needed but never knew we did, ive spent countless hours trying to research any of this and came out with maybe one piece of info 10 pages down an APUG post from the early 2000s but you have summed it up in one post:D

Back when I was working, we shot a ton of 70mm Kodak Aerochrome CIR film, all for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. CIR is a wonderful tool in helping to identify forest cover types and forest heath issues. We used a Rolleiflex 6003 with a 70mm back. We also shot some 70mm B&W which I processed in my home darkroom. I’m pretty sure I still have some 70mm stuff still stashed away in a closet.

Jim B.

Chandler+Hills+CIR.jpg

Back when I was working, we shot a ton of 70mm Kodak Aerochrome CIR film, all for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. CIR is a wonderful tool in helping to identify forest cover types and forest heath issues. We used a Rolleiflex 6003 with a 70mm back. We also shot some 70mm B&W which I processed in my home darkroom. I’m pretty sure I still have some 70mm stuff still stashed away in a closet.

Jim B.

Chandler+Hills+CIR.jpg

Nice! Thanks for your contribution. It is good to know that I am not the only one interested in 70mm.

Quite interesting. I myself do not have any 70mm capable cameras so it is a format I haven't looked into much, and often thought the gauge as much more ciné oriented. There were some well used applications like Space use, Apollo moon missions!
Did a quick google and 65mm seems to be equivalent to 70mm (oh, nomenclature!). With it, there are reports of people turning shorts ends into 120 film (cinestill aside).

Ilford's custom run just closed orders last weeks I see.

Agfa was coating 70mm scientific film (for aerial photography) a few years back, don’t know if the they still are. Mostly B&W. It was pricey though, you had to order a minimum number of rolls. We looked into it, but decided to pass.

Jim B.

Agfa was coating 70mm scientific film (for aerial photography) a few years back, don’t know if the they still are. Mostly B&W. It was pricey though, you had to order a minimum number of rolls. We looked into it, but decided to pass. Jim B.

I have two rolls of 70mm Agfa Aviphot; One roll of color & one roll of B&W.
I have not had the opportunity to try these yet.

DSC05776 by Nokton48, on Flickr

There is 70mm Agfa film on Ebay right now.............

Quite interesting. I myself do not have any 70mm capable cameras so it is a format I haven't looked into much, and often thought the gauge as much more ciné oriented. There were some well used applications like Space use, Apollo moon missions!
Did a quick google and 65mm seems to be equivalent to 70mm (oh, nomenclature!). With it, there are reports of people turning shorts ends into 120 film (cinestill aside).

Ilford's custom run just closed orders last weeks I see.

Jorde,

Baby Linhofs can use a "Cine" Rolliex back and get 53 6x7 exposures. These Cine Roliexes are available for 2x3 and 4x5 Linhofs.

Dan,

I did some data mining and 15 feet of film in a Cine Roliex is 53 6x7 exposures.

Cal

Back