70mm Film FUN up ahead

Another possibility for handheld 70mm is the Sinar Handy:

LX3L7044 by Andrei Badoiu, on Flickr

This one gets my knees jerking. I own the Norma cone with 65mm f8 Super Angulon helical so I could build this very camera. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

UPDATE: I got the rare Linhof 645 CINE from Germany. Came with a pair of Linhof cassette bodies, but no spools.

I loaded and tested it. First off it seems the mask is not removable without taking off the Graftek flange which I will do later today at work, but the good news is that the shell will allow me to use the darkslide slot to make a removable mask. Also know that the 4x5 and circular 2x3 Graftek back plates both use ALL the same screw locations so they kinda are modular.

So in loading the 645 CINE the first thing that is noticed is the shorter throw of the film advance. I takes 5 strokes to advance to "1" on the film counter instead of only three strokes on a 6x7 CINE.

The next thing is I learned the frame counter alternates; one stroke will advance the counter; but the next stroke will skip advancing the counter; so it really takes two strokes to increase the counter by one increment. Know there is a second window that shows and indicates that the film is positively advancing.

The huge surprise is that I get 60 plus counts on the 645 CINE, meaning I get 120 plus 645 exposures on 15 feet of film.

The end game her is to have a common shell with the circular 2x3 Graftek backing plate and use a 645 mask using the darkslide slot that can easily be removed. I can then utilize a 6x7 CINE insert that comes from a 4x5 6x7 CINE without the mask for 6x7 format; but I can also use the 645 insert with mask in the same 2x3 Graftek shell.

Also know the added weight of a CINE counters an otherwise front heavy Linhof. This camera would be great to shoot the Gay Pride Parade, the Halloween Parade, or the Mermaid Parade.

Cal

I'm also making some 70mm progress. I located another A70 magazine, it is already loaded with Agfa Aviphot 200 B&W. And I been test shooting a short end of original Plus-X from 1981, which I loaded last weekend. As I continue cleaning and reorganizing the studio, I will find more of this stuff. I want to load another A70 with 15' of WL Surveillance, to keep going with that. And I have a fresh roll of Efke R100 unperforated I bought at a closeout from J&B, which I can run through another A70 with the rubber adapter wheel. Things are progressing...........

DSC05794 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Dan,

The Sinar Handy posted above looks mighty small.

Do 15 foot rolls sometimes come spooled? Also are the spools "generic" so that I could use generic spools in my Linhof cassettes that came vacant?

Cal

Dan,

The Sinar Handy posted above looks mighty small.

Cal

It needs a Sinar Norma PistolGrip screwed into into the bottom of it, with cable release. He has the correct Sinar mounting clamp attached. Lots of drilling and tapping and filing :)

Do 15 foot rolls sometimes come spooled? Also are the spools "generic" so that I could use generic spools in my Linhof cassettes that came vacant? Cal

Yes you can cannibalize preloaded 15' factory rolls. The spools are Kodak and generic.

Save everything for the future. Never know about these bits a pieces

Yes you can cannibalize preloaded 15' factory rolls. The spools are Kodak and generic.

Save everything for the future. Never know about these bits a pieces

Dan,

Thanks for the response.

As far as saving things for the future: my Private Linhof Consultant is going to drop off some Cine's that don't work as parts and donors. Now I'm thinking that I have this TOPCON bulk loader that I bought from KEH for $25.00 that originally was made for spooling 250 exposure cassettes.

Yesterday I figured out that 100 exposures is about 8 inches shy of 15 feet of perferated 135 on the TOPCON. The mechanism meters out the length for 100 exposures and than stops, and I figure I might be able to adopt this loader to spool 70mm. Already it is useful to meter out film into lengths in a changing bag. My way has the benefit of not having the wear and tear on the cassette felts and would be easy and speedy if I cam spool the film without the cassette body.

The donor Cine's offers a supply of parts. I'll have a single perf shaft and a double perf shaft. Also my Linhof Consultant can 3-D print parts. I might be able to make a bulk loader our of Linhof parts.

Cal

Hey Cal/All,

Look what I cobbled together from a few Norma parts from down in the studio. The Norma Sinar Handy. I may run with this. Would need a bottom mount and Norma pistol grip, Mamiya Universal Viewfinder (or Sinar Handy one) plus 65mm F8 Schneider Super Angulon. Extremely light in weight!

Norma Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here I have scanned a 70mm negative with my Epson 4490. Nothing great, but I can get this to work. Hartblei 1006 with Hasselblad A70 magazine, Norman 200B flash, Zeiss 120mm Biogon (pentacon Six) lens, Kodak WL Surveillance film, developed in ADOX Borax MQ developer. which I mix myself.

-- This is from my first test roll of 70mm

WL Surveillance 70mm Hartblei 1006 120 Biogon ADOX Borax by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here are the negs. I selected the roll on the right, the second frame down in the most left hand row. Shadow detail looks good in this one.
The roll on the left, might not be WL Surveillance. It might be Plus-X Aerographic 2402, maybe? It was shot years ago, and I'm not sure.
But the base color is different from the roll on the right, which I'm sure is definately WL Surveillance.

DSC05743 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Dan,

I removed the 645 mask and will have to create a 645 mask that will utilize the dark slide slot. This allows me to have either 60 exposure plus 6x7 by using one CINE insert, or 120 plus exposures 645.

Note that the Linhof frame spacing is tight.

The two donor CINE's from my Private Linhof Consultant were broken down for parts. I learned a lot about the engineering and design. Both of these were not working: one was jammed and suffered water damage (likely submerged); the other had been modified and was not restorable.

The shafts with 70mm film sprokets will be useful for adapting the 35mm Topcon 250 exposre bulk loader mentioned above. Seems relatively easy to keep the Topcon bulk respoooler for dual use between 135 and 70mm. I opened the Topcon up, and it took an afternoon to figure out how to reassemble a get to work correctly again. I fully explored what I can and cannot do.

This is all part of a bigger project to respool 135 Kodak 5222 from 800 foot rolls.

Cal

I have been told that there is a "pawl" inside which can wear down, but other than that, these Cine Rollex backs can last forever.

What is a Pawl?
Cal did you find out while taking yours cines apart?

---
One of my Makiflexes with the Linhof 70mm Cine Rollex I acquired for $50. Had to do a leather job on it. Twas peelin'

Would love to have some information on leather replacement, I have a few that need some help. I imagine there is info out there, and would appreciate if you could point some out that you recommend.

---

The two donor CINE's from my Private Linhof Consultant were broken down for parts. I learned a lot about the engineering and design. Both of these were not working: one was jammed and suffered water damage (likely submerged); the other had been modified and was not restorable.
Cal

cal, would be great to follow along with some pictures of what you are opening up and discovering.

~nicholas

What is a Pawl?
Cal did you find out while taking yours cines apart?

---

Would love to have some information on leather replacement, I have a few that need some help. I imagine there is info out there, and would appreciate if you could point some out that you recommend.

---

cal, would be great to follow along with some pictures of what you are opening up and discovering.

~nicholas

Nicholas,

1. I think what Dan calls a "pawl" is the thing that catches the lever allowing it to only "racket" in one direction. Linhof is really clear in the instructions not to "dual-stroke" of force the lever in the reverse direction before completing the forward stroke. I can see how this would be the weak point and how this pawl would be the place of breakage, but in opening up a Cine I can say the build quality is robust.

2. If you need some Linhof OEM leatherette in either black or tan just send me the dimentions required and I can see if I have enough material from what I removed from the black and tan Cine's. My friend Christian suggests using masking tape to make a pattern. If I can help you out I will gift you what you need. The large patch that covers the door of the shell is pretty big, but if I have smaller pieces that would work I would like to save the bigger pieces. Also I found this ultra thin heavy tack double sided tape that I deem better than any contact cement. Only available in a narrow roll of 1/2 inch, but this stuff is the best ever.

3. I tend to annoy people with my ways. I am a self proclaimed "Lazy Slacker" and one of the many things I do to annoy people is I don't post. Another thing I don't do is text, and basically I'm only online at work at my boring day job. If you needed any small Linhof screws, a pawl or any small parts I basically saved them to help myself and others.

Cal

Yes it's been described to me as a curved "thingee" with a hook on the end, which engages the big sprocket. As long as the pawl is not badly worn, you are good to go.

Another good source for leather would be www.cameraleather.com

I've sent exotic photo things to Morgan Sparks and he's even done the covering for me.

He's a good guy but very busy and I think this garage business is a sideline for him.

BEST DEAL FOR FRESH 70MM

The 70mm Rollei 400S shows great promise. By my calculations $98.08US buys you 100.07 ft of fresh 70mm film. Plus shipping from Germany.
It is available here: https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/infrared-films/1697/rollei-infrared-400s-70mm-x-30.5m

There is a Flikr Rollei 400S user group here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2760100@N24/

Orranäsasjön Infrarot Hasselblad by CourtLux, on Flickr

Solitary Tree by Lars Holte, on Flickr

Hania by Krzysztof Poleszak, on Flickr

I have a few Portra 160NC which I was thinking of shooting in my Hasselblad. I can source a 70 mag easily enough but I guess I need one of those rare-as-hens'-teeth Alden 70s to load?

This thread haas been an eye opener!
I love the mega blad back, huge. The smaller back looks really cool and practical though.
And the film! I know 15x50' of film is a lot, but I just can't imagine buying almost $3k of film in one hit, you'd have to be dedicated!

I have a few Portra 160NC which I was thinking of shooting in my Hasselblad. I can source a 70 mag easily enough but I guess I need one of those rare-as-hens'-teeth Alden 70s to load?

Some people prefer using the loader. I had one for a while, but I find I prefer to load the cartridges by hand. I have a large formica table in my darkroom that I use for film loading. If I was using a changing bag, I might go back to using the loader.

I generally load 35mm bulk film the same way.

Some people prefer using the loader. I had one for a while, but I find I prefer to load the cartridges by hand. I have a large formica table in my darkroom that I use for film loading. If I was using a changing bag, I might go back to using the loader.

I generally load 35mm bulk film the same way.

Dan,

This Topcon "Spooler" for loading 35mm 250 exposure reels seems readily adoptable for 70mm spooling in a changing bag. I bought it for $25.00 from KEH a wile back originally thinking I could use it for Kodak 5222 in 400 foot rolls to respool into smaller rolls for daylight loading using a bulk loader.

There is a dial that stops the crank when the number of exposure setting is met and there are 50, 100, 185, 200, and 250 exposures. There is ample gear multiplication so that three turns of the crank spools precisely one foot of film. The 100 exposure setting spools 14 1/2 feet for 70mm, and 250 exposures I figure provides 36.25 feet in a short roll. If I lift this arm that maintains the film in the sproket the counter resets so I can increment and add to the first 36.5 feet with another 36.5 feet, and possibly will be able to add a third dose to have just over 100 feet (108.75 feet). For 135 all I have to do is create a holder for the 400 feet of film that will maintain the oversized feed roll in a vertical position.

I think I can easily adapt this respooler for 70mm use, especially since I have extra sproketed roller from dissassembled Linhof CINE's. The huge advantages with respooling verses using a daylight bulk loader are, lesss likely to scratch film, and less wear and tare on the felts.

Without any mods BTW I can use the Topcon respooler to meter off 14.5 feet of film.

Cal

Back