70mm Film FUN up ahead

Dan, I did some data mining and 15 feet of film in a Cine Roliex is 53 6x7 exposures. Cal

Cal,

That is good to know. I have not used my 70mm Cine Rollex back as of yet. But I do plan to :)

I have been told that there is a "pawl" inside which can wear down, but other than that, these Cine Rollex backs can last forever.

So now I have a good idea what 70mm films I have in stock. Time to begin systemically testing each of them. I have loaded a Kodak 70mm cassette (and Hasselblad A70 magazine) with 70mm (original) Plus-X. This is the consumer-grade Plus-X, not an aerial film. Expiration dates are 1981-1982 era. I have loaded about ten feet, which is a decent amount of this film to expose. I'm exposing it at EI 125, EI 64, and EI 32. I planning to process it in my usual Legacy Mic-X, which is a Microdol-X type of developer. I replenish my Mic-X and I always use it in stock solution. Expired Plus-X is usually completely usuable, although this may have some base fog. By overexposing it I want shadow detail above the base fog level. Soft development should help and I love the Mic-X tonality I am getting with other films. Another developer possibility might be HC-110, as it is kind to very old film.

It will be interesting to try this, I have a lot of this particular film stock, all from the same source.

Dan,

I purchased a black Linhof Cine Rolliex for $100.00. 53 exposure 6x7 capabilities with a 15 foot load. Came without cassettes and is for a Graftek 4x5 and not 2x3. Understand that the film "insert" (film transport section) will work in a 2x3 Graftek mount "shell" and in a modular manner the inserts are interchangeable in either shell mount to fit either sized camera (2x3 or 4x5).

I have two pairs of empty cassettes incoming, and a rare black Linhof 4.5x6 Cine Rolliex coming in from Germany. I am hopeful that I can remove the 4.5x6 mask so I can use the 6x7 insert to cover both formats with the same shell: with; and without mask. I figure that the 4.5x6 format on 15 feet of film will give me about 85 frames before needing to reload.

I know Linhof's are extra heavy, but Diane Arbus is reported to have carried three loaded Rollies in a knapsack; and if you study her contact sheets you can tell she was trying to shoot medium format like a Leica. Not sure if even three Rollie 3.5's are heavier than one baby Linhof.

Also know that I have a Super Rolliex 120 back. I weighed the 120 back against the Cine back (without cassettes), and I was surprised that a digital bike scale indicated the 120 and Cine backs weigh the same: 1.71 pounds; granted that the cassettes and the added film are not included if the back was loaded and ready to shoot.

So Linhof's are built like tanks, but now I'm adding "Firepower." Know that in the past I have carried pairs of medium format cameras so have the capability to always have another loaded camera. Rollie 3.5 and Plaubel 69W Proshift; Fuji GM670 and Fuji GL690; Plubel 69W and Fuji GL690; Rollie 3.5 F and Tele Rollieflex...

Anyways only having 12, 10 or 8 exposures means a lot of missed shots and reloading. In the past it was typical to shoot 12-18 rolls walking all in NYC in a day. I only have one roll of 220 saved.

I think I will go with HP5 and bulk up. I'm familiar with ID-11 and Microphen for 400 and 650 ISO's, but Perceptol allows for a pull to 200 ISO. So my idea is to go with one film and use different developers for speed change.

I still have to get a 15 foot reel and tank.

So my two "Beast Rigs" are: a 2x3 Tech IV with a Zeiss 100/2.8 Planar; and a 2x3 Tech V with a Zeiss 53/4.5 Biogon. All I need is a normal and a wide, but it is doubtful I will carry both cameras at the same time.

Cal

Cal,

That sounds really cool to me. Good that you have a Linhof tech advising you. I was not aware they have a 4.5 back but they made so MUCH stuff....

Let us know how it goes securing HP5+ I know it's a special order but I have never inquired. I've got plenty of film to test and shoot so I am not familar with their ULF program. And there is always fresh Rollei 400S in Germany, and 70mm from Ebay.

I have bought two or three (sometimes) broken units and build them into one workable, with my Plaubel Makiflexes. So I appreciate your efforts with the baby Techs. Have you made any test photos yet?

Once you get thjs going it would be great if you can post results here. Good Luck to you.

-Dan

Dude this thread is what we all needed but never knew we did, ive spent countless hours trying to research any of this and came out with maybe one piece of info 10 pages down an APUG post from the early 2000s but you have summed it up in one post:D

Hi Jake,

Now that you have a Hasselblad, are you still going to give 70mm a go?

-Dan

Cal,

That sounds really cool to me. Good that you have a Linhof tech advising you. I was not aware they have a 4.5 back but they made so MUCH stuff....

Let us know how it goes securing HP5+ I know it's a special order but I have never inquired. I've got plenty of film to test and shoot so I am not familar with their ULF program. And there is always fresh Rollei 400S in Germany, and 70mm from Ebay.

I have bought two or three (sometimes) broken units and build them into one workable, with my Plaubel Makiflexes. So I appreciate your efforts with the baby Techs. Have you made any test photos yet?

Once you get thjs going it would be great if you can post results here. Good Luck to you.

-Dan

Dan,

With "Linhof Disease" I also have a two Polaroid backs: one 2x3; and a second one my Personal Linhof Consultant created by 3-D printing a Graflok interface onto an off the shelf Polaroid back. The homebrew Polaroid uses the full frame of Fuji FP-100 I stockpiled, but know that it has no darkslide. Pretty much you load the camera until you run out of film before being able to change the back.

Then I have 2x3 Grapfmatics, and 2x3 Linhof double sided sheet holders.

Still I have a 120 Super Rolliex for 10 6x7 exposures.

Last night I weighed my Rollie 3.5F on the digital bike scale and it weighed in at 2 3/4 pounds. So when Diane Arbus carried three loaded Rollies in a knapsack so she could shoot like a Leica she carried about 8 1/4 pounds in camera alone.

My Tech V with the 53 Biogon only weighs 7.8 pounds rigged with "Firepower." Now I'm thinking that shooting 70mm is kinda practical and not really that crazy. If you buy and use a Linhof, basically it is like getting a free gym membership. LOL.

The Tech IV with 100/2.8 Planar is about a half pound lighter and folds with the lens mounted.

I am currently waiting: for the 645 Cine to arrive from Germany; for 70mm Cassettes to arrive from England; and I still need a 70mm reel and tank that can handle 15 feet of film.

I am sure to gain notoriety here in NYC. I never see Linhof's "in the wild" meaning on the street, except my Private Linhof Consultant. I am good friends with Louis Mendez. I ran into Louis at the Armory in the Upper Eastside, and he asked me if I was hanging around because he wanted to get some lunch. So he left me with his rigged Crown Graphic and his equipment case on a hand truck.

So pretty much the mojo and vibe spread from the Crown Graphic and a crowd gathered around me at this Armory Show. One of Louis' friends questioned me why I had Louis' gear and bluntly asked me, "Where's Louis?" He basically stood by like a body guard until Louis returned about 20 minutes later. So I expect that Baby Linhof's will be kinda like Louis' Crown Graphic and will become part of my "branding." LOL.

Know that I have hit a tipping point where I now own more medium format cameras than 35mm cameras.

Cal

Cal,

Speaking of BEAST rigs..................

I've been cleaning my studio. Here are two of my Makiflexes, on my Plaubel Peco Profia Camera Stand. Every studio needs a good camera stand.

This thing could support the front end of a car. LOL

DSC05778 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Cal,

Speaking of BEAST rigs..................

I've been cleaning my studio. Here are two of my Makiflexes, on my Plaubel Peco Profia Camera Stand. Every studio needs a good camera stand.

This thing could support the front end of a car. LOL
DSC05778 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Dan,

You are my kinda guy. Looks like that camera stand could be used as an engine stand. LOL.

BTW I had an 84 Jeep Scrambler that I installed a ZZ3 crate motor (350 HP 400 foot pound Corvette engine), NV4500 (literally a 200 pound cast iron tranny) Ford nine inch rear with Lincoln Continental disc brakes, and of course was lifted and had big tires.

Pretty much built an urban assault vehicle before they made a HumVee.

BTW those Maraflexes seem as crazy as a Linhof.

Still waiting for incoming Cine, 70mm cassettes...

Cal

Here is my stash of 70mm Kodak High Speed Infared film. This is exactly the same emulsion that used to come in 35mm rolls. Just medium format sized. Unlike 35mm HIE, this 120 HIE film can be daylight loaded. A huge advantage.

On the left, an unopened 150 foot can of 2424, and on the right, six respooled rolls of 70mm 2424 that are 120 sized. These unexposed rolls came from http://www.davidromano.com/Film.html

I'm saving this film for the future, although it needs to be tested. I shot a lot of 35mm High Speed Infared in the '90s, and always developed it in Kodak D-19 developer.

70mm Infared 2424 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hi Jake,

Now that you have a Hasselblad, are you still going to give 70mm a go?

-Dan

Ive been looking into it and it has been spurred on by shooting backstage and catwalk at London fashion week with the RB67 where I shot 19 rolls and was constantly reloading. However, I will have to start acquiring 70mm equipment after I get a lens on the hassy which is my first priority.

I may actually contact Maco who make the rollei film and ask if they will do an order of 80s in 70mm as that itself used to be an Ariel film so it might as well be worth just asking if theyll cut some.

could use some more info about that. Could be incredible as there is currently some Unperfed portra 160 NC on ebay

There used to be a Guy on Ebay that sold these rubber wheels. A good machine shop could bang these out in short order. I bought the last three he had:

The Original Instruction Book!

DSC05789 by Nokton48, on Flickr

DSC05790 by Nokton48, on Flickr

DSC05791 by Nokton48, on Flickr

DSC05792 by Nokton48, on Flickr

DSC05793 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I can vouch for it! It works a charm. Very Kewl!

Another possibility for 70mm is the Graflex XL RH/50. This was made in two versions; one for the Graflex XL cameras (very nice system rangefinder cameras!) and a version for Graflok Cameras (like my Sinar Normas or Plaubel Makiflexes). Unfortunately this one is too big to fit the RB67..........

Great thing is that (like the Beatty Coleman) it works with perfed or non-perfed 70mm film. That is a very very big deal.............

Graphic RH 50 70mm Film Backs for Graflex XL - 2 by S. Katz, on Flickr

Very fine lenses for the XL Graflex, too. I think the 100mm covers 6x7 but prolly not the 80mm F2.8 Planar. I own a 58mm Grandagon XL lens that I modified to work on my 4x5 Sinar Norma cameras. It -almost- covers 4x5. In fact it will work if forward-focused.

Graflex XL by Peter Lerman, on Flickr

graflex xl by mrchen96, on Flickr

All new to me too.

Thanks for your comment!

I will continue adding to this thread; Hopefully it helps those who are TRYING to get all this info and pull it all together. It's a lot of work to do 70mm but it can be worth it in terms of capabilities. :)

Back