75mm f/1.4 Summilux Photos

It was with my old MM (great camera, best I ever had, I miss it).
This was not even wide open (but pretty close) - I think it was stopped down to f2 (I didn't want to miss this shot as I only got one).

Judging shots from lenses as the 50 f1 or the 75/1.4 for focus with wide apertures from small web JPGs can be misleading.

These two lenses have very wild wavy planes of focus - showing areas with more contrast and others with less, tricking the eye where best focus is achieved.

One really has to look in high magnification at the original print/ digital image.
Best focus here is at the edge of the lower left eye lid.
Bear in mind that portrait subjects wearing glasses do provide another variable of failure.

Film is with these two lenses a lot more forgiving - cameras as the MM do show the waviness (and misfocussing) much more relentless, hence why I currently shoot a lot more film than actually using that new M246 which really is not an upgrade from the good old MM.

Brilliant lens from 2.5 to 16. 1.4 is soft on mine and several others I tried.

It was late into my ownership I found the issue was focus shift. 1.4 cleans up nicely if you account for back focus. This will never due with a RF lens.

I read others have discovered this also.

I love the 75 APO in its place now.

Yes the 75/1.4 is known for that. You can have yours calibrated to the aperture you like to use best though.
Most people like about the 75 how it changes character from wide open to ~ f4

downburst

downburst

• downburst •

med_U31858I1492993376.SEQ.1.jpg

• Leica M 8.2 • 'lux 75 • dng • LR / Graph.Conv. • Lake Constance • Lindau • May 2014. •​

Storm alarm

Storm alarm

• Storm alarm •

med_U31858I1492993375.SEQ.0.jpg

• Leica M 8.2 • 'lux 75 • dng • LR / Graph.Conv. • Lake Constance • Lindau • May 2014. •​

Back