A new star is born - Polar 35mm f2 the Leica King of Bokeh’s Arnold twins

Duofold RF

Well-known
Local time
4:27 AM

Polar is the new unknown Chinese replica manufacturer, look from front and sides, wahh. However, look from back is kind of wahhh, too.

Attachments

• IMG_0607.jpeg
    IMG_0607.jpeg
    625.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    973 KB · Views: 85
These look like hand-machined prototypes. Scavenging for parts from other lenses and making them fit? The company has made a mistake showing them, as everyone will believe the quality of the company is poor.
Jumping on the Band-Wagon too early, wait until you have a pre-production prototype that can be sent out for trials. Not one that needs to go back to the shop to fit on a camera trial and error, makes it look like a real hack-job.

My filing down of Kiev mount Jupiters to mount on a Nikon look better than this.

These look like hand-machined prototypes. Scavenging for parts from other lenses and making them fit? The company has made a mistake showing them, as everyone will believe the quality of the company is poor.
Jumping on the Band-Wagon too early, wait until you have a pre-production prototype that can be sent out for trials. Not one that needs to go back to the shop to fit on a camera trial and error, makes it look like a real hack-job.

My filing down of Kiev mount Jupiters to mount on a Nikon look better than this.
I have one of those Jupiters so I can vouch for that ;)

Make a note of the name and wait and see. Perhaps there will be something more interesting, perhaps not. It's something of a mess, economically, on the mainland right now so it's very hard to say where things are going to go for makers of these kinds of bourgeois products often meant for export to the decadent west as well as for sale to the newly wealthy.

LLL, 7fartisans, trilyphoc (or whatever), and now this…

The most amazing part is when someone uses those lenses and reports back, in awe, that they do actually Work. They do form an acceptable image 😃

LLL, 7fartisans, trilyphoc (or whatever), and now this…

The most amazing part is when someone uses those lenses and reports back, in awe, that they do actually Work. They do form an acceptable image 😃
These brands carried by BH are good, not only price wise but quality too. You are on the end of the spectrum, in your eyes, either Leica or nothing. Made in China can be good or excellent. Chinese manufacturers need to get out of copy, quick money mentality, need accumulate credibility, quality and reputation for their own brand. I believe artisans, LaoWa are doing better than these try to get quick money on Leica’s name.

The Chinese social media lens makers such as LLL and this polar benefited greatly from western technology and investment. They can use the readily available supply chains to make lens quickly and cheaply and turn into great profits by selling to westerners.

Last edited:
aka freeriding.

I proudly do not participate into that.
Every thought or invention is "freeriding" off the work of hundreds of thousands of people past and present. If you've ever done anything in your life, you've been a freerider.

It's not a bad or good thing. It just is. Be so fortunate as to have others freeride off of you.

Every thought or invention is "freeriding" off the work of hundreds of thousands of people past and present. If you've ever done anything in your life, you've been a freerider.

It's not a bad or good thing. It just is. Be so fortunate as to have others freeride off of you.

I see. Okay…

Very fair point. I’ve bought a lot of stuff from Chinese businesses and hve had good experiences. I hold them in high respect.

I would venture that all optical designs being produced today, whereever they may be manufactured, are derived from earlier optical designs, if they aren't exact copies.

Back